Forum Index > Trip Reports > Noble Knob and Mutton loop - 2024-02-11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostSun Feb 11, 2024 2:48 pm 
TLDR: - No snowshoes needed (fortunately I did not bring them) - Ice axe and traction needed (for me, but I prefer to be safe on steeper traverses) - Maybe 10 inch of fresh snow at Mutton Mountain. No older snow below the fresh snow there. It seems like this will all melt next week again. - Deep Creek is obliterated by blowdowns from the road to 4500ft. Very unpleasant. - 23 miles loop, 5400ft gain I started at the Palisades trail at 4:30am. I started there because 1) I thought it would be a nice loop and 2) my guess was that gaining elevation would be easier there in the dark than at Deep Creek (which turned out to be very true). I would not want to do Deep Creek in the dark. I was at Little Ranger Peak at 7am. I carried a lot of gear (notably a heavy lens), so it was a bit slow going. Until Little Ranger Peak there was almost no snow (just a dusting). The last section up Little Ranger had a few inches of fresh snow. The flat section just above Little Ranger has quite a few blowdowns from the fire, but not too terrible (nothing compared to Deep Creek). The Dalles Ridge traverse was fairly easy travel. There is some steeper traversing around 30-40%, for which I prefer to use ice axe and crampons. It helps to have CalTopo open with slope shading so you can pick the easiest path. Views at Noble Knob were fantastic. I brought a 100-400mm lens (earlier I had only used it for animals in Costa Rica) and was pretty happy with the result. Traverse from Noble Knob to Mutton Mountain similarly has some 30-35% traverse. I do not mind going straight up 40% at all, but extended traverses I find pretty unpleasant. I used ice axe again. Mutton Mountain also had nice views, but honestly it did feel a little redundant after Noble Knob. Deep Creek is really bad due to the 2017 Norse Peak fire. There was not enough snow coverage to cover up hundreds of blowdowns, many kind of hard to get over. It was physically quite demanding after a long day. If you go up and down that route, you are not having a good time unless you have some sick fascination with blowdowns. Erosion and washouts are also starting due to the fire. This trail does not appear to have a bright future ahead. White River trail back also has some burn sections, but gets pleasant after Dry Creek. All photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bravenboer/albums/72177720314741679/
View from Pt 5661 on Dalles Ridge
View from Pt 5661 on Dalles Ridge
Big Snow, Thomson, Huckleberry from Dalles Ridge
Chikamin, Lemah, Summit Chief, Hibox, Bears Breast from Dalles Ridge
Chikamin, Lemah, Summit Chief, Hibox, Bears Breast from Dalles Ridge
Looking north towards Snoqualmie Pass area from Dalles Ridge
Looking north towards Snoqualmie Pass area from Dalles Ridge
Kaleetan and Chair Peak from Dalles Ridge
Kaleetan and Chair Peak from Dalles Ridge
Noble Knob from Dalles Ridge (approached from Palisades)
Noble Knob from Dalles Ridge (approached from Palisades)
Alpine Lakes Wilderness panorama from Dalles Ridge
Alpine Lakes Wilderness panorama from Dalles Ridge
Approaching Noble Knob
Approaching Noble Knob
Trail directions at Noble Knob
Trail directions at Noble Knob
Mt Stuart from Noble Knob
Mt Stuart from Noble Knob
Noble Knob looking back at Dalles Ridge
Noble Knob looking back at Dalles Ridge
Kaleetan and Chair from Noble Knob. The treeless ridge is Granite Mountain.
Kaleetan and Chair from Noble Knob. The treeless ridge is Granite Mountain.
Lundin and Big Snow from Noble Knob
Lundin and Big Snow from Noble Knob
Lemah and Chimney Rock area in the clouds
Enchantments from Noble Knob
Enchantments from Noble Knob
Glacier Peak briefly visible behind Thomson and Huckleberry
Glacier Peak briefly visible behind Thomson and Huckleberry
Little Tahoma and Mt Rainier
Little Tahoma and Mt Rainier
Little Tahoma
Little Tahoma
Mt Rainier
Mt Rainier
Mt Rainier from Mutton Mountain
Ridge towards Mutton
Ridge towards Mutton
View towards Castle Mountain
View towards Castle Mountain
View from Mutton towards Stuart - The massive 2017 Norse Peak fire in the foreground
View from Mutton towards Stuart - The massive 2017 Norse Peak fire in the foreground
Little Tahoma from Mutton Mountain
Little Tahoma from Mutton Mountain
GPS track of Noble Knob and Mutton traverse
GPS track of Noble Knob and Mutton traverse
GPS track around Noble Knob
GPS track around Noble Knob

geyer, Prosit, zeldathewelder, Matt, John Mac, rubywrangler, fourteen410, JimK, awilsondc, reststep, hikerbiker, Nancyann, ejain, day_hike_mike  jaysway
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Feb 11, 2024 4:16 pm 
mbravenboer wrote:
Wow. Stupendous views. Love the shots of Kaleetan. I think I see Mt. Ruth over there to the right in the photo above. ? Only because I've been there once. ~z

mbravenboer
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostSun Feb 11, 2024 4:24 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Wow. Stupendous views. Love the shots of Kaleetan.
Thanks! Yeah, I loved how prominent Kaleetan looks from that angle!
zephyr wrote:
I think I see Mt. Ruth over there to the right in the photo above.
I had to check on peakfinder because it's kind of hard to see with the partial clouds, but yes, I think you're right that's Ruth smile.gif . Inter glacier is rightmost in the photo.

RichP

RichP
PostSun Feb 11, 2024 5:28 pm 
Monster hike. Great photos, Martin.

mbravenboer
hearingjd

hearingjd
PostSun Feb 11, 2024 9:17 pm 
Thanks Martin, about Deep Creek trail-- based on what you said sounds like over a mile of blowdowns... Any guess on the number of trees down? 100?? I helped USFS cut out Corral Pass road last year and we cut over 400 trees to get the road cleared, so guessing that will be nearly as bad as last year, based on what you encountered...

Hiker John

zeldathewelder
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostSun Feb 11, 2024 9:25 pm 
hearingjd wrote:
about Deep Creek trail-- based on what you said sounds like over a mile of blowdowns... Any guess on the number of trees down? 100?? I helped USFS cut out Corral Pass road last year and we cut over 400 trees to get the road cleared, so guessing that will be nearly as bad as last year, based on what you encountered...
Thanks for your help last year! Sorry, I didn't count and I'm kind of bet at estimating. I'd say hundreds (100-500). Some sections of the trail are essentially impassible and people are finding their own way down, adding to the erosion. The soil is very loose somehow, I guess maybe due to the fire? I did wonder if I should have gone down the road instead. If anybody wants to go to Mutton I'd probably recommend trying that (or find an off-trail route outside of the burn area. From the map that looks feasible).

uww

uww
PostSun Feb 11, 2024 11:20 pm 
Nice one! Thanks for all the amazing photos- I've only seen clouds from up there.

mbravenboer
thuja

thuja
PostMon Feb 12, 2024 8:25 pm 
Your comments about the Deep Creek trail are interesting. I've been up down it several times since the 2017 fire and not had issues with much in the way of blowdowns. Assuming you were following the summer trail these must be more recent.

zeldathewelder
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostMon Feb 12, 2024 9:40 pm 
thuja wrote:
Your comments about the Deep Creek trail are interesting. I've been up down it several times since the 2017 fire and not had issues with much in the way of blowdowns. Assuming you were following the summer trail these must be more recent.
Yeah it mostly looked recent to me. I followed the summer trail (except where I couldn't). I don't know, maybe I'm too spoiled with smooth trails biggrin.gif I'm fine with some blowdowns, but this vastly exceeded that. I wouldn't recommend a casual hiker to go there until it is cleared. There was a group I met at the summit of Mutton that also mentioned the difficulty of the route.

zeldathewelder