Forum Index > Trail Talk > Gold Creek Pond Restoration comment period
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
melc

melc
PostFri Apr 26, 2024 12:25 pm 
For those interested you should take a look at the Gold Creek Pond Restoration plan. Public comment period is open now and ends very soon. there is also impact to Lake Keechelus boat ramp https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=57415&exp=detail

Cyclopath
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
pipedream

pipedream
PostSat Apr 27, 2024 4:29 pm 
In a nutshell the plan is to, starting in the spring of 2025: * Fill between 75-100% of Heli's Pond * Restore the Gold Creek Pond area to its natural wetland setting (what it was before they excavated it for material to build I-90) * Close access to the Lake Kecheelus lake bed except via the boat launch until the launch itself dewaters in the early summer at which point they'll close access to the boat launch area entirely There's a lot of details regarding gates, access restrictions and fee collection once the work is complete. I find it laughable that the FS will have any sort of mechanism to control access in such a remote area via a NW Forest Pass scanning / fee payment system. Esp. considering the kind of folks that visit the area after dark... But, the restoration of the Gold Creek Valley is very important for the state's dwindling bull trout population and cutting down on the riff-raff that litter, have illegal fires, etc. on the Lake Kecheelus lakebed is probably worth the trade-off of up to 10 years of access restrictions and the future reduction of recreational access.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSun Apr 28, 2024 11:57 am 
Camping/litter enforcement would be much more logical than blanket access restrictions.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Apr 28, 2024 12:19 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
Camping/litter enforcement would be much more logical than blanket access restrictions. But our leadership and lobbying agencies are not logical and have their own special interests.
Right, cost of administration being one of those interests, a gate or fence blocking access is far cheaper to administer than actually patrolling and citing jitterbug and rogue campers. Seems pretty logical to me. Sure if they had more money to spend they could have rangers patrolling 24/7 .

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSun Apr 28, 2024 12:27 pm 
After reading the documents it sounds like the keechelus access restriction is brief and mainly to install gates and guardrails to keep people from driving on the lake bed. Seems silly when snowmobiles and cars run through the entire watershed leaking all over the place oh and not to mention the giant interstate that runs along half the lake, shedding more tar, tire fragments microplastics and oil in a day than lakebed camping will produce in 100 years. Closing the lakebed is going to reduce pollution in the lake by about 0.0001%. Getting rid of gold creek pond and turning it back into wetlands might do something more useful but i'm skeptical.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Apr 28, 2024 12:43 pm 
Nobody should be able to do anything good as long as any bad is still happening?

pipedream

pipedream
PostSun Apr 28, 2024 8:24 pm 
The issue w/ the lakebed is that yahoos rip around it in their 4x4s and lifted trucks, smashing & splashing thru areas that the bull trout like to chill out in the late summer when they cannot get up dry Gold Creek. I have personally seen pick 'em up trucks stuck in so many places on that lakebed it seemed like a foregone conclusion this was bound to happen sooner or later. The Pass community will be quite upset about losing access to their "beach" but they've never been particularly great stewards of it.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Apr 29, 2024 12:42 am 
thunderhead wrote:
After reading the documents it sounds like the keechelus access restriction is brief and mainly to install gates and guardrails to keep people from driving on the lake bed. Seems silly when snowmobiles and cars run through the entire watershed leaking all over the place oh and not to mention the giant interstate that runs along half the lake, shedding more tar, tire fragments microplastics and oil in a day than lakebed camping will produce in 100 years. Closing the lakebed is going to reduce pollution in the lake by about 0.0001%.
Certainly the Washington State Department of Transportation and the Federal Highways Commission could do a much better job at containing runoff from our Interstate Freeway System. Wapato Lake in Tacoma hosted a healthy population of perch and trout at one time. When the outlet at the south end of the lake was restricted, and all of the runoff from Interstate 5 between South 56th Street and South 72nd Street was ultimately all plumbed to run into the north end of the lake, that pretty much killed off most all of the aquatic life that used to call the place home. No doubt the impact from I-90 is significant along that corridor, but unfortunately the United States Forest Service doesn't have much say-so about the Interstate Freeway. They are limited to what they can do on their own real estate. Eliminating entirely the vehicular traffic on the lakebed will cause a significant positive change. I know exactly how much damage one can do with a 1971 Datsun 510 wagon on a muddy lakebed - I am certain much more is possible with a 4x4 Dodge Ram. In addition, eliminating the access to the lakebed will move that user constituency somewhere else - hopefully farther away from water. You might be surprised by how fast the change may occur - it may be delayed a season or two because of elevation, but the lower end of Oak Creek recovered nicely within 24 months after they ditched and bermed the access points and drove the 4x4 crowd out. I read the original project documents some time ago. Sounded like they were headed the right direction, although I think they're spending too much money to repair the damage done when they constructed the freeway. Maybe they can get some of that money back from federal highway money, since they were the ones who made the mess in the first place.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

ChinookPass