Forum Index > Trip Reports > East Ridge of Bandera 4-1-24
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostTue Apr 02, 2024 2:05 pm 
Bandera's East Ridge had been on my radar for a while now, so when my buddy tossed out the idea I was all in! Bryan had done it with the Puzzlr about six years ago and had the track from that trip. We planned to continue on to West Bandera, then down to Exit 42. So our day started with dropping off a rig of at Exit 42, then shuttling over to the Talapus Lake trailhead. We finished packing, threw on our boots, and were hiking up the trail in no time. In less than a mile the trail crosses the toe of Bandera's east ridge. We hung a left and started our adventure, working up the ridge through easy traveling terrain. Very minimal brush, and not overly steep. Just great!
= Eventually we came to the first band of boulders.
Then more boulders...
The ridge steepened, as we worked up through a mix of steepish duff and a mix of snow, granite flakes and boulders. Some class 2+, with class 4 options, and exposure here and there. By then I was in crampons, Bryan in spikes. Axes came out at some point. I found myself thinking " this really feels like a Mountain climb!!!' So much fun! horsey.gif
There were a few route-finding puzzles along the way. Here we carefully crossed the top of a steep gully.
Eventually the ridge steepens to beyond our skills, so we bail off to the north, where we found much more snow. I was concerned about the avy conditions, although we saw no sign of instability in the area. I was glad we got an early start, and that the sky's were mainly veiled. We spread out as we traversed the steepish terrain. Moving quickly, we regained the ridge after a quarter mile.
Once back on the ridge we could see Bandera's summit. From here it was a relatively easy cruise to the top.
Had some lunch, then trucked over to West Bandera. Someone had made the crossing over the weekend, so we jumped in their track. From West we both thought heading down the north ridge was a good idea. It was!!! Untracked all the way down to Mason Lake. Fast and floaty (and easy on the knees!)!
Tagged the lake, then truck back to Exit 42, and Bryan's car, for the shuttle. Super fun day. smile.gif
Snowshoes, crampons, axe and spikes.

RichP, mbravenboer, jaysway, JimK, John Mac, Lightning_bug, catsp, KascadeFlat, ALW Hiker, yukon222, neek, zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostTue Apr 02, 2024 8:47 pm 
Looks like a fun day in the woods. No joke!

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

Now I Fly
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Apr 08, 2024 8:03 pm 
Brian, I'm glad you finally got to do this. It looks a lot harder with less snow than when Bryan and I did it years ago.

GudrunHelga

GudrunHelga
PostThu Apr 11, 2024 5:05 am 
It sounds like you stumbled upon evidence of previous hikers on the route – trimmed branches, scattered debris, and even a water bottle wedged in a boulder field. It's always intriguing to notice these subtle traces left behind by others.

Now I Fly