Previous :: Next Topic
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostSat May 04, 2024 11:49 am 
RumiDude wrote:
Logbear wrote:
El Nino is Rapidly Collapsing And the effects of El Nino, including a wet California and warm Northwest, should be fading. https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2024/04/substantial-late-season-mountain-snow.html
Wow! Who would have guessed that when the weather forecast aligns with Cliff Mass's preferred narrative, he suddenly sounds much more certain about long range weather predictions. No "snake oil" in his concluding statement: "My suggestion: if you can make some good deals on ski equipment, do so...." Funny how that changes when it's his prediction. My personal note is that Cliff Mass is a really good meteorologist. But he is also a highly opinionated editorialist who is quite often wrongheaded and just plain wrong. There's nothing wrong with that as long as he keeps those two clearly separated. When he doesn't, he loses a lot of credibility. YMMV Rumi
Well, as usual with Cliff's mountain snow forecasts, this one was a bust. Like I've noted before, he has predicted about 12 of this water-year's 4 major snowstorms. At Stevens (not Stampede which his "Stevens Pass" prediction plot showed) SWE increased 0.3% for one day, now has lost 2.3% since day of forecast. That said, we are currently at 68% SWE at Stevens, although we are somewhat of an outlier for our east and west drainage basins whose averages are 52% and 65% respectively. Drought or not, it doesn't look good for Columbia river hydropower this summer. Your description of Cliff is spot on.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep

gb, Anne Elk, Cyclopath
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat May 04, 2024 3:31 pm 
The forecast for next Sat is 81 degrees in Verlot, I was hoping for a milder spring and summer, hopefully this is not an indicator of things to come. I had better order and AC before the shortage begins. I also need to get a large water tank, since my well has gone dry the last 2 years.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat May 04, 2024 9:53 pm 
CC wrote:
Well, as usual with Cliff's mountain snow forecasts, this one was a bust. Like I've noted before, he has predicted about 12 of this water-year's 4 major snowstorms.
Some major storm system is always coming in to save us, and usually turns out to be a nothing burger, as CC demonstrates. I don't understand why people bring his empty promises up like they're going to come true. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun May 05, 2024 12:30 am 
funny. not sure why ANY of you would pay any attention to ANY of the "experts" - doesn't matter if it's Cliff Mass (about whom I know nothing) or Rich Mariott or Steve Poole or Willard Scott - weather forecasts have always been a matter of guesswork. not until World War II did the Norwegians figure out how to "read" high altitude photo images and make sense of them. weather forecasting is like western medicine: they're still "practicing". if you have money, do not wager it on Cliff Mass.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
kvpair

kvpair
PostSun May 05, 2024 7:15 am 
Ski: So, just checking. Are you saying that weather forecasting using atmospheric modeling cannot predict accurately?

gb
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun May 05, 2024 8:08 am 
I'm going to assume that's a rhetorical question. Thanks.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Gil

Gil
PostSun May 05, 2024 9:15 am 
Still arguing against prudent preparation for possible drought? I don't get why so many people are against it. This whole thread makes me thankful for the "ignore" function. Some new additions from this.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini

Cyclopath, Ski
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun May 05, 2024 9:54 am 
^ you think eight pages arguing about the accuracy of Cliff Mass' blog posts isn't enough? dizzy.gif

Gil
Logbear

Logbear
PostSun May 05, 2024 9:57 am 
CC wrote:
Well, as usual with Cliff's mountain snow forecasts
Where can I find Cliff Mass's mountain forecasts? I've read some of his blog, but it doesn't seem to have many forecasts.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Logbear

Logbear
PostSun May 05, 2024 10:14 am 
This looks like rain to me. https://a.atmos.washington.edu/~ovens/wxloop.cgi?wrfd2_ti_ww_pcp72+///3 No, I'm not in "drought denial". I just think this forecasting tool says that it going to rain over an inch at my place by Tuesday afternoon. Am I wrong? And yes, I understand that one rainstorm doesn't erase a drought. But where I live everything is absolutely normal. My little pond still has water in it, and it's usually dry. I don't know if Cliff Mass uses this tool or not.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun May 05, 2024 11:10 am 
The "dought forecast" is intended primarily for agricultural usage. It's a prediction on how much water will be available for irrigation over the summer -- so that farmers can make adjustments to more wisely use available water. Rain that falls now and through early summer doesn't change the agricultural/irrigation prospects very much. I do hope that a cool wet spring will help for stall the start of fire season this year.

treeswarper
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun May 05, 2024 12:45 pm 
Randito wrote:
"The "dought forecast" is intended primarily..."
Did you mean the doubt forecast? The one that's intended to keep everyone stirred up and in a constant state of fear and uncertainty? The one telling us the world will end tomorrow due to: (select all that apply) __ global warming __ nuclear attack __ volcanic activity __ asteroids __ dinosaurs escaping from Jurassic Park __ locust infestations __ bubonic plague __ Velveeta Follow me for more doubt forecasts. dizzy.gif

Chief Joseph
Logbear

Logbear
PostSun May 05, 2024 3:54 pm 
Which one of these tools is the one to use? I'm asking because I don't know. These maps don't seem to agree on the drought conditions in Washington. https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Maps/CompareTwoWeeks.aspx https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/expert_assessment/season_drought.png

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSun May 05, 2024 9:07 pm 
Both do different things. The first is observed conditions, what is there now, or at least very recently. The second is a forecast, a prediction of future conditions which may or may not come true. Also the two groups may have slightly different definitions of drought and almost certainly have different color schemes for their maps.

Stefan-K

Stefan-K
PostSun May 05, 2024 9:28 pm 
doesn't look like much drought relief for the foreseeable future...
80 degree weather for mid May and little to no precip. Rainier altitude freezing levels or higher next week. Isotherm climax avy weather. Not good.