Forum Index > Trail Talk > California superbloom
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Mar 17, 2024 2:18 pm 
https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/17/weather/california-superbloom-wildflowers-climate/index.html Headline: "A California superbloom is springing to life and the best is yet to come"

Off trail rambler
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSat Mar 23, 2024 7:35 am 
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/mar/23/california-theodore-payne-wildflower-hotline "For the past 41 years, the Theodore Payne Wild Flower Hotline has helped guide their journeys. Wildflower seekers in southern California can dial +1-818-768-1802, ext 7, for counsel on where to locate the best and most bountiful blooms in the region."

Off trail rambler
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostSat Mar 23, 2024 8:10 am 
My wife grew up in Paso Robles/San Luis Obispo area and her relatives were still there until recently. On visits there, we used to really enjoy going out to Carrizo Plains….nice short hikes, usually pretty sparsely used. I was there in spring 2017 (? I think) for one of the first super blooms. It was one of the biggest sh*tshows I have ever been in! People blocking roads by parking stoopidly. Everybody had a dog or 3. Seemed like we were never out of range of a humming drone. Forget trying to park at one of the trailheads or get within 1/2 mile of the small visitor center there. A real disappointment after having had the place almost to ourselves in every other visit. It WAS beautiful, but I’d think twice about going unless your tolerance for crowds is very high.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSat Mar 23, 2024 10:40 am 
Ugh. Maybe it is the Instagram syndrome? I haven't been there for the blooms but my wife's niece lives in Los Osos, just south of Morro Bay. Tidepooling, and the shoreline at Montano de Oro State Park is something we look forward to when visiting. Not total solitude but the sheer noise volume of the surf hitting the rocks lends to a sense of remoteness. Flocks of pelicans patrol at wave height.

Off trail rambler
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSat Apr 13, 2024 9:41 pm 
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2024/04/13/death-valley-super-bloom/ Death Valley is alive this year. A super bloom is the latest sign.

Off trail rambler