Forum Index > Trail Talk > Tiger, two Goats, and a Cougar
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostFri Apr 26, 2024 6:03 pm 
Took the Hound to Tiger this morning. The plan was our usual route, Highpoint-Lingering-Dwight's-Preston-Bootleg-WT1-WT2-K3-TMT, then out Highpoint. Passing through the old Tent City, we came across a Fish & Game guy. He had a domestic goat on a leash (and by one horn). He told us a second goat was killed by a cougar, and that the cougar buried the carcass a bit father up the trail. Thought the hound might sniff it out on the way up, but he did not. After a wonderful hike, and as we neared the end, we passed a couple whose dog did indeed find the buried goat. With their help (and this time the hound sniffed it out), I got to see the buried carcass.
Couldn't help but think of "Bootpathguy"! B

giojennings  Kascadia
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostFri Apr 26, 2024 6:11 pm 
Also, I'm truly sorry for your loss, if this was your goat. B

Bluebird
suffering optional

Bluebird
suffering optional
PostFri Apr 26, 2024 6:12 pm 
I witnessed A goat killed by the cougar on Wednesday just after 5pm on the high point trail near where the pavement turns to trail. I've seen cougar several times before but this experience was unique. We found this goat nearby but couldn't remove it from the area. I was so worried it would suffer the same fate. I got in touch with DNR, fish and wildlife, and animal control afterwards. They left messages saying DFW located the goat and had sent animal control to retrieve it. I am relieved to hear it happened successfully!

Kascadia, Now I Fly
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostFri Apr 26, 2024 6:17 pm 
Wow. Not a day you'll forget. Amazing.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Apr 27, 2024 8:59 pm 
I am very concerned about this post as it seems so odd. We go on this trail nearly once a week and have never seen sign of Cougar, or domestic goats for that matter. Is there any follow up? Were the goats set up as lures? Had there been earlier sightings in the area? Why have I seen nothing on Nextdoor or other sites?

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostSun Apr 28, 2024 7:49 am 
My understanding is the goats were strays. I was surprised F&G left the dead goat where it was/is. Clearly the cougar knows right where it left it.

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostSun Apr 28, 2024 8:46 pm 
I was curious about the killed goat, so on my way out to MB this afternoon I stopped by. It's been dragged up the hill a bit, and there's not much left. Whatever consumed it was thorough.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Apr 28, 2024 11:04 pm 
Went up there today, interesting that there were no signs there next to a fresh Cougar kill.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Apr 29, 2024 9:23 am 
Just because you haven't seen one, does not mean they don't exist. In fact, cougars are very good at not being seen. I was working in the snow and got a bit creeped out when I found their tracks in my tracks that I made walking into a unit. On moose. I'm thinking the fires in some areas have helped their population increase. Up on the Loup, where a friend and I saw three in one day, there is a lot of willow growing where the timber stand fried. There was a moose, and still may be hanging out at the confluence of the Wenatchee and Columbia rivers. There was even a Costco Moose in E. Wenatchee. You didn't see those, but they existed. I've been lucky to have seen a wolverine that was hanging out at Bonaparte Lake years ago. Have also seen badgers and other critters. All were on the run except for the Wisconsin Fisher that was hanging onto a tree. Got close to that one and it looked a little bit peeved so I backed off. They're there but not always visible or even seldom visible.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Now I Fly
Stefan-K

Stefan-K
PostMon Apr 29, 2024 10:26 am 
For safety, always hike with a goat.

Brucester