Forum Index > Trip Reports > Snowshoe of Powdercap Traverse (BC) - 2023-03-17/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostSun Jan 28, 2024 1:04 am 
Last year I did the Powdercap Traverse (up via Brandywine and down via Callaghan valley). This is an extremely popular area for snowmobiles, and while it certainly defeats the feeling of solttitude, it also helped me feel a bit safer doing this solo in unfamiliar terrain. Day 1: 13 miles, 7000ft gain to Powder Mountain (15 hours) Day 2: 20 miles, 750ft gain (10 hours) The trailhead and the initial groomed road is managed by a snowmobile club. I was planning to start in the middle of the night, and messaged with people of the club on Facebook to make sure that's okay. There were very friendly. During the traverse I was evidently a curiosity to the sledders. Everybody was very nice and checked in if I was okay, "do you need a sandwich" etc 😉 . I had a somewhat major incident: at the end of the first day, when preparing to cook dinner and melt snow I found the pump of my stove was broken. I was out of water, so this was kind of a problem. I melted some snow in my sleeping bag during the night. Next day, a friendly snowmobile couple gave me some of their water. I walked out through the Callaghan valley, which was the location of cross country skiing in the winter Olympics. The people at the Journeyman Lodge were extraordinarily nice and helpful and filled up my bottles. Lesson learned: check stove before leaving. Note that for Callaghan you should buy a day ticket if you walk out via the trails. It's easy and can be done online. Pics! All photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bravenboer/albums/72177720306872867/
Powercap Traverse route
Powercap Traverse route
Camp at summit of Powder Mountain
Camp at summit of Powder Mountain
Mt Fee
Mt Fee
Mt Fee from Powdercap traverse
Mt Fee from Powdercap traverse
Mt Fee
Mt Fee
Cayley Ridge from Powder Mountain
Cayley Ridge from Powder Mountain
Mt Cayley
Mt Cayley
Mt Cayley
Mt Cayley
Mt Cayley from Powder Mountain
Mt Cayley from Powder Mountain
Pemberton Icefield
Pemberton Icefield
View of the rest of the Powdercap traverse from Powder Mountain
View of the rest of the Powdercap traverse from Powder Mountain
Pemberton Icefield
Pemberton Icefield
Reach the groomed trails in Callaghan valley
Reach the groomed trails in Callaghan valley

Comma, Gimpilator, geyer, GaliWalker, olderthanIusedtobe, Prosit, NWtrax, John Mac, jaysway, RichP, neek, rubywrangler, Nancyann, jstern, Now I Fly  KascadeFlat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostSun Jan 28, 2024 1:43 pm 
These 3 reports almost make me question my snowbirding habit… but its 75* and sunny today, so… nope cool.gif

RichP  mbravenboer
Prosit

Prosit
PostMon Jan 29, 2024 12:57 pm 
rubywrangler wrote:
These 3 reports almost make me question my snowbirding habit… but its 75* and sunny today, so… nope cool.gif

GaliWalker