Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Feds to kill barred owls to try to save spotted owls
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Dec 06, 2023 8:33 am 
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is proposing to enlist shooters to kill more than 500,000 non-native barred owls over the next 30 years in the Pacific Northwest to preserve habitat for northern spotted owls, a protected species. Assuming complete implementation of the proposal, an initial cull of about 20,000 barred owls would occur in the first year. Then, an annual reduction of 13,397 birds a year in the first decade of the program; 16,303 a year in the second decade and 17,390 birds each year in the third decade, in parts of Washington, Oregon and California — 11 to 14 million acres in all. The weapon of choice would be a large-bore shotgun and night scopes as needed for work in darkness or low light. When gunfire is too dangerous near people, capture and euthanasia would be substituted. Any landowner or land manager may ask the agency to let them remove the owls under the agency’s protocol, training specifications and permit. The removal season is recommended during late spring through midsummer and fall. Shooters are directed to lure the owls with a recording of another owl’s call. When a barred owl comes within 30 yards and is stationary, they would shoot to kill. The goal is not to kill every barred owl in the West but to strategically take pressure off spotted owls where possible. At the most, about 30% of the barred owl population in the range of the northern spotted owl would be killed. “We know we can’t fully eradicate them, but we know we can create [refuge] areas with much lower barred owl density that allows spotted owls to survive and thrive,” Lee said. “Are we going to do more harm than good? Do we really want a bunch of people in the woods shooting at what are otherwise protected birds?” said Bob Sallinger, executive director of Bird Conservation Oregon, a nonprofit he started after retiring from 30 years of bird advocacy at Portland Audubon. The draft environmental impact statement can be read here at the agency’s website. A 60-day public comment period began Nov. 17 and closes Jan. 16. Information on how to submit comments is available at www.regulations.gov by searching under docket number FWS-R1-ES-2022-0074. The Service will host an informational virtual public meeting on Dec. 14 from 6-8 p.m. Pacific Time. This meeting will focus on management within the range of California spotted owls. A link and access instructions to the virtual meetings will be posted at www.fws.gov/office/oregon-fish-and-wildlife at least one week before the public meeting date. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/feds-propose-shooting-one-owl-to-save-another-in-pacific-northwest/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Dec 06, 2023 10:05 am 
I suppose there must be data showing that Spotted Owls will not be drawn to a Barred Owl call. Because you sure as hell can't tell them apart by sight!

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir

thunderhead
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Dec 06, 2023 10:07 am 
Ya, here's an image from the article:

thunderhead, Sculpin
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 06, 2023 10:31 am 
This is old news. Something that has been talked about for several years, if not a decade or more. zzz.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Snowshovel

Snowshovel
PostWed Dec 06, 2023 1:38 pm 
It’ll never happen

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostWed Dec 06, 2023 5:10 pm 
I’ve seen both in daylight. At night? I’ve only ever used a night scope one time and that was years ago. I don’t know.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Dec 06, 2023 7:40 pm 
You are supposed to tell those apart through nightvision or a thermal scope? Ahahaha. Classic government planning, this one.

Ski
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Dec 08, 2023 9:32 am 
I cannot imagine why this is seen as a problem. Just bring in some mongooses to deal with the issue. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri Dec 08, 2023 10:22 pm 
Lots of these beautiful birds in the Issy Alps. Saw this one tonight on Coug. A few months ago three of them took turns squaking at me on Squak for a few minutes.

Flickr | Strava

Lightning_bug
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Dec 09, 2023 1:04 am 
just bring in the mongoose! worked in Hawaii!

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."