Forum Index > Trip Reports > The Nanga Parbat K2 Gondogoro La Trek: How I Saw Five 8000-Meter Peaks in One Trek
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Yolo

Yolo
PostWed Nov 22, 2023 9:47 pm 
Ever since I saw the breathtaking photos and stories of a fellow hiker who had done the Throne room of the mountain gods, K2 Trek Report , I knew I had to follow in his footsteps. I had always dreamed of seeing the two most legendary mountains in the world, Nanga Parbat and K2, with my own eyes. I loved these mountains so much that I went there twice, once in 2020 and once this year. Both times, I had an amazing experience, but each time was also different and unique. In 2020, I went in September (for only K2 base camp trek), when the weather was cooler and sunny, and the leaves were changing colors. I enjoyed the contrast and the drama of the scenery, and I saw more snow and ice on the mountains. This year, I went in August (for Nanga Parbat, K2 Gondogoro La trek), when the weather was warm and sunny, and the flowers were blooming. I enjoyed the greenery and the freshness of the air, and I saw many animals, such as ibex, marmots, and eagles. Both times, I met wonderful people, both locals and fellow trekkers, who made the journey more fun and memorable. I also learned a lot about the history and culture of the region, and I felt a connection with the land and the people. I think this trek is one of the best in the world, and I would love to do it again someday. I booked the trek with Vertical Explorers , a reliable and experienced company that arranged everything for me, from the visa and flights to the guides and porters. I was ready to embark on the most epic adventure of my life. The trek was 24 days long, starting and ending in Islamabad, the capital of Pakistan. We were driven to Chilas, a small town on the banks of the Indus River, where we met our friendly and helpful guide and porters. They would accompany us throughout the trek, carrying our luggage, setting up our tents, cooking our meals, and sharing their stories and culture. They were the backbone of our team, and we couldn’t have done it without them. We drove to Fairy Meadows, a beautiful grassland at the foot of Nanga Parbat, the ninth highest mountain in the world. We set up our first camp there, surrounded by pine trees and wildflowers. We trekked to Nanga Parbat Base Camp, where we had our first glimpse of the mighty mountain, rising above the clouds like a giant wall of ice and rock. It was an awe-inspiring sight, and we felt humbled by its presence. We then descended back to Tato valley, we learned about the history and culture of the region, and we were invited to a local house for tea and snacks. We also saw the Glacier, a massive river of ice that flows from Nanga Parbat. We then drove to Skardu, where we had another rest day and explored the town and the nearby Skardu Fort, a historical monument that dates back to the 17th century. The next part of the trek was the most challenging and rewarding one. We drove to Askole, the last village before the wilderness of the Karakoram, the highest mountain range in the world. From there, we followed the Braldu River, passing through stunning scenery of meadows, moraines, glaciers, and rocky slopes. We crossed several bridges, including the famous Jula Bridge, the longest and highest suspension bridge in the region. We reached Paiju, where we had a rest day and enjoyed the views of the Trango Towers, the highest rock spires in the world. We then entered the Baltoro Glacier, the fifth longest non-polar glacier in the world, and one of the most spectacular places on earth. We walked on the ice and snow, surrounded by towering peaks and granite walls. We saw some of the most famous mountains in the Karakoram, such as Masherbrum, Uli Biaho, Cathedral, Mitre Peak, Chogolisa, and Baltoro Kangri. We reached Concordia, the confluence of the Baltoro and Godwin-Austen glaciers, where we had a panoramic view of four 8000-meter peaks: K2, Broad Peak, Gasherbrum I, and Gasherbrum II. It was a sight that left us speechless, as we witnessed the beauty and power of nature. We then trekked to K2 Base Camp, where we had a rest day and visited the Gilkey Memorial, a tribute to the climbers who lost their lives on the mountain. We felt a mix of emotions, as we admired the majesty of K2, the second highest mountain in the world, and also remembered the sacrifices and struggles of those who tried to conquer it. We then back to Concordia and started the most challenging and rewarding part of the trek: the crossing of the Gondogoro Pass. We trekked to Ali Camp, where we had a short rest before starting the night ascent of the pass. We put on our crampons and axes, and followed our guide and porters on the steep and slippery slope. We had to cross snowfields, and boulders, and deal with the effects of high altitude and cold. It was a tough and exhausting climb, but we made it to the top of the pass, where we were rewarded with the most amazing sunrise and views of the four 8000-meter peaks. We felt a sense of achievement and joy, as we realized we had done something extraordinary. We then descended to the Hushe Valley, where we saw a different landscape and culture. We saw green fields, orchards, streams, and villages, and we met the friendly and hospitable people of the Balti tribe. We felt like we had entered a different world, and we enjoyed the warmth and hospitality of the local people. We reached Hushe, where we celebrated the completion of the trek with our guide and porters. We then drove back to Skardu, and from there where we flew back to Islamabad. The trek was an unforgettable experience that I will cherish forever. I saw some of the most amazing landscapes and wildlife, met some of the most friendly and hospitable people, and pushed myself to the limits of my endurance and courage. I would highly recommend this trek to anyone who loves mountains, nature, and adventure. It was truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to witness the beauty and power of K2 and the Gondogoro Pass.

Waterman, reststep, Nancyann, Bernardo, Now I Fly, RichP
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostFri Nov 24, 2023 11:31 am 
Hoping we get to see some pictures soon...

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Yolo

Yolo
PostSat Nov 25, 2023 7:48 pm 
Absolutely! I can't wait to share some pictures here. The trip has been incredible, and I'm excited to relive the moments through photos. Stay tuned for some visual updates! 😊
Islamabad
Islamabad
K2, often referred to as the "Savage Mountain," is the second-highest mountain in the world, standing at an impressive 8,611 meters (28,251 feet) above sea level. Nestled in the Karakoram Range, which spans the borders of Pakistan, India, and China, K2 is renowned for its breathtaking beauty and the extreme difficulty of its ascent.
K2 dawn at dawn
K2 dawn at dawn
K2 Morning
K2 Morning
K2 8,611 metres (28,251 ft)
K2 8,611 metres (28,251 ft)
Nanga Parbat, also known as the "Killer Mountain," is the ninth-highest mountain in the world and the second-highest in Pakistan, standing tall at 8,126 meters (26,660 feet) above sea level. Located in the western Himalayas, Nanga Parbat is part of the Diamer District in the Gilgit-Baltistan region of Pakistan. Nanga Parbat is renowned for its striking isolation and prominence, rising dramatically from the surrounding terrain. It stands as a solitary giant, dominating the landscape and capturing the awe of all who behold it. The ominous nickname "Killer Mountain" has been attributed to Nanga Parbat due to the extreme difficulty of its ascent and the high fatality rate among climbers attempting to conquer its challenging peaks. The mountain has a reputation for its harsh weather conditions and technical climbing requirements.
Nanga Parbat 8,126 m (26,660 ft)
Nanga Parbat 8,126 m (26,660 ft)
Fairy Meadows and Nanga Parbat
Fairy Meadows and Nanga Parbat

Josh Journey, Slim, Pef, reststep, jaysway, Now I Fly, awilsondc
Yolo

Yolo
PostSat Nov 25, 2023 9:19 pm 
Skardu
Skardu
Skardu
Skardu
colorful truck on KKH
colorful truck on KKH
Buddha rock in Skardu
Buddha rock in Skardu
Skardu fort
Skardu fort
Satpara lake skardu
Satpara lake skardu
Skardu, often referred to as the gateway to some of the world's highest peaks, is a picturesque town situated in the Gilgit-Baltistan region of northern Pakistan. Nestled amidst the Karakoram Range, Skardu is surrounded by breathtaking landscapes, including towering mountains, serene lakes, and lush valleys, making it a popular destination for nature lovers, trekkers, and adventure enthusiasts. Skardu is strategically located along the banks of the mighty Indus River, surrounded by towering peaks, including the famous Karakoram and Himalayan ranges. Its geographical proximity to various high-altitude destinations, such as Nanga Parbat and K2, makes it a central point for mountaineering expeditions and trekking adventures. Known as the starting point for many treks and expeditions, Skardu serves as a base for journeys to some of the world's highest peaks, including K2, the second-highest mountain on Earth. Trekkers often embark on trails that lead to mesmerizing landscapes, glacial valleys, and pristine alpine meadows.
Shigar valley
Shigar valley
shigar
shigar
waterfalls
waterfalls
local
local
Shigar Valley, located in the heart of the Karakoram Range in Gilgit-Baltistan, Pakistan, is a hidden gem known for its breathtaking landscapes, rich cultural heritage, and historical significance. This enchanting valley, surrounded by towering peaks and adorned with lush greenery, offers a tranquil retreat for those seeking a blend of natural beauty and cultural immersion. Shigar Valley holds a significant position as a gateway to some of the most renowned trekking destinations in the Karakoram Range, providing access to iconic glaciers, high-altitude base camps, and challenging trekking routes. otable trekking destinations accessible from Shigar Valley: Gateway to Baltoro Glacier and Climbing expeditions: Shigar Valley serves as a key starting point for treks to the famous Baltoro Glacier, one of the largest glaciers outside the polar regions. The trek to Baltoro Glacier is an adventure that unfolds breathtaking views of towering peaks, including K2, Broad Peak, Gasherbrum I, and Gasherbrum II. Trekkers pass through picturesque landscapes, glacial moraines, and traditional Balti villages before reaching the awe-inspiring Concordia, the confluence of glaciers, which serves as a base camp for multiple 8,000-meter peaks. K2 Base Camp Trek: Shigar Valley provides access to the trek leading to K2 Base Camp. This challenging and rewarding journey takes trekkers through some of the world's most stunning mountain scenery. The trail traverses glacial terrain, high mountain passes, and offers unparalleled views of K2, the second-highest peak in the world. The trek culminates at the foot of K2, providing a close encounter with this legendary mountain. Biafo Glacier and Hispar Pass: From Shigar, adventurers can embark on the Biafo Glacier and Hispar Pass trek, which is considered one of the longest continuous glacier treks in the world. The route takes trekkers across the expansive Biafo Glacier, passing impressive crevasses and seracs. The trek continues to the Hispar Pass, connecting the Biafo and Hispar glaciers, and offers breathtaking views of surrounding peaks, including Khunyang Chhish. Snow Lake Trek: Another notable trek accessible from Shigar Valley is the Snow Lake trek, which leads to the stunning glacial amphitheater known as Snow Lake. This high-altitude trek offers mesmerizing views of the surrounding peaks, and trekkers often camp at Snow Lake to experience the remote beauty of the region.
Askole village
Askole village
Askole is a remote and picturesque village situated in the Shigar District of Gilgit-Baltistan in northern Pakistan. Known as the last settlement before the vast wilderness of the Karakoram Range, Askole is a gateway to some of the world's highest peaks and glaciers. Askole is located at an elevation of approximately 3,048 meters (10,000 feet) above sea level. It lies in a rugged and mountainous region, surrounded by towering peaks and glaciers, and is often considered the starting point for treks and expeditions into the Karakoram Range.

Pef, JasonK806, reststep, Nancyann, Now I Fly
Yolo

Yolo
PostSat Nov 25, 2023 11:32 pm 
The Baltoro Glacier, located in the Gilgit-Baltistan region of northern Pakistan, is one of the longest and largest glaciers outside the polar regions. Stretching over 60 kilometers (37 miles), the glacier is flanked by towering peaks of the Karakoram Range, forming a breathtaking and dramatic landscape. Approximately 60 kilometers, making it one of the longest glaciers in the world outside the polar regions. The glacier is characterized by its immense size, seracs, crevasses, and ice towers. It serves as the main access route to some of the highest and most challenging peaks in the region. Notable Peaks Along the Baltoro Glacier: K2 (Mount Godwin-Austen): Elevation: 8,611 meters (28,251 feet), the second-highest mountain in the world. Significance: K2 is the most iconic and challenging peak along the Baltoro Glacier. The trek to K2 Base Camp and Concordia provides trekkers with spectacular views of this majestic peak. Gasherbrum Group (Gasherbrum I, II, III, IV): Gasherbrum I (Hidden Peak): Elevation: 8,080 meters (26,509 feet). Gasherbrum II: Elevation: 8,035 meters (26,362 feet). Gasherbrum III: Elevation: 7,952 meters (26,089 feet). Gasherbrum IV: Elevation: 7,925 meters (26,001 feet). Significance: The Gasherbrum Group comprises four 8,000-meter peaks, and their proximity to K2 makes the region a center for high-altitude mountaineering. Broad Peak: Elevation: 8,051 meters (26,414 feet). Significance: Often referred to as K3, Broad Peak is the twelfth-highest mountain in the world. It stands prominently along the Baltoro Glacier and is a popular destination for climbers. Masherbrum (Masherbrum I): Elevation: 7,821 meters (25,659 feet). Significance: Known for its distinctively rugged appearance, Masherbrum is a striking peak along the glacier, adding to the visual grandeur of the region. Chogolisa: Elevation: 7,665 meters (25,148 feet). Significance: Chogolisa is notable for its twin summits, Chogolisa I and II. The mountain adds to the panoramic beauty of the Baltoro Glacier.

Lightning_bug, Pef, reststep, jaysway, Nancyann, Now I Fly, Chief Joseph
timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Nov 28, 2023 6:59 am 
Great write up

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Nov 28, 2023 5:36 pm 
awesome! !!!

Art is an adventure.
timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Nov 30, 2023 8:08 am 
You did a great write up there too

trent
Suffering fool

trent
Suffering fool
PostWed Dec 06, 2023 10:18 pm 
Wow! Thanks for posting. Its on my short list!

It's all downhill from here!
timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Dec 19, 2023 6:42 am 
up.gif

luv2travel

luv2travel
PostMon Mar 25, 2024 12:50 am 
up.gif thanks for sharing!