Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Mount Daniel-Hinman, Washington
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Aug 25, 2023 2:21 pm 
In 1984, as the North Cascade Glacier Climate Project began, the largest concentration of glaciers between Mount Rainier and Glacier Peak was on Mount Daniel-Hinman; Daniels, Foss, Hinman, Ice Worm and Lynch Glacier. Hence, I felt these glaciers were worth monitoring. Now in August 2023, we just finished our 40th annual survey of these glaciers and they have had their worst year yet in terms of mass loss. Each year we ascend the Cathedral Rock trail, hike passed Peggy’s Pond and set up camp to observe the glaciers. The rapid mass loss builds on the last two year leading to dramatic thinning and area loss. Ice Worm Glacier and Hinman Glacier are no longer glaciers. Pelto (2010) developed a forecast model that identified a glacier that retreats and thins not just at the terminus but even on the upper glacier, does not have a consistent accumulation zone and cannot survive. Foss Glacier may not survive the summer. Daniels Glacier is rapidly shrinking. Only Lynch Glacier remains active. This is the story of the glacier’s decline and the impact. https://blogs.agu.org/fromaglaciersperspective/2023/08/24/collapse-of-the-glacier-complex-on-mount-daniel-hinman-washington/

Anne Elk, hikerbiker, zimmertr  jaysway, Gil
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jaysway

jaysway
PostWed Sep 13, 2023 11:24 pm 
I was about to post this before realizing that it had already been shared. See them before they're gone I guess frown.gif.

reststep
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message