Forum Index > Gear Talk > 2.25 lb packrat from Alpacca
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostThu Jul 20, 2023 8:25 pm 
https://www.outsideonline.com/health/running/gear/packraft-for-minimalists/ Outside mag reviewer views it as a pack raft for trail runners. There is a lot of canyon country routes this thing could open up.

Off trail rambler

Cyclopath
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostFri Jul 21, 2023 1:27 pm 
Heh, the article says Curtis Designs manufactured a 2.5-pound raft. They were only 1.25-pounds.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch

TeeJay
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostFri Jul 21, 2023 7:33 pm 
Sorry if I posted inaccurate information. Would you be Brian Curtis of Curtis Designs?

Off trail rambler
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostFri Jul 21, 2023 8:28 pm 
That’s not your fault! Yes, that’s me.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jul 23, 2023 7:07 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
Heh, the article says Curtis Designs manufactured a 2.5-pound raft. They were only 1.25-pounds.
How much do the paddles weigh?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 24, 2023 2:41 am 
I pulled one of my double bottom Curtis Rafts out of the gear closet to weigh:
Raft, paddles inflatabag (33 oz)
Raft, paddles inflatabag (33 oz)
Raft, paddles (30 oz)
Raft, paddles (30 oz)
Raft only (24 oz)
Raft only (24 oz)
Paddles only (6 oz)
Paddles only (6 oz)

TeeJay, Chief Joseph
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostMon Jul 24, 2023 7:37 am 
Thanks, Tom! The double bottom added 4oz. The single bottom version came in at 20oz. Many people have come up with creative solutions that are even lighter than the 6oz ones we used to sell.

benjohnson
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jul 24, 2023 11:30 am 
Another good thing about the Curtis raft is that the raft bag can be used as a water bag with a gravity filter as well as for inflating and protecting the raft.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

benjohnson
TeeJay
Sofa King

TeeJay
Sofa King
PostFri Aug 25, 2023 9:37 am 
Not as light (just under 4 lbs) but has 400lb weight capacity and unique design. Anyone tried one of these yet?
https://unchartedsupplyco.com/products/rapid-raft

It is not in the nature of politics that the best men should be elected. The best men do not want to govern their fellowmen. -- George MacDonald
DadFly

DadFly
PostFri Sep 08, 2023 8:17 am 
My daughters and I get out on our rafts a few times a year. We have a newer Curtiss, 24oz, a Klymit 45 oz, and the Rapid raft, 3lbs 13oz. If I am going out by myself for an overnight or longer, I throw in the Curtiss. I had one I got from a garage sale for $2.50 that was the single floor. Made in 1976 and finally stopped holding air. I got my money's worth! I bought a later one on NWHikers this year. If I am going on a day hike like Mason lk or Snow lake, I throw in the Klymit. It is durable, small and reasonably light. If I am going out on a longer trip and will be counting on carrying my full pack etc, I use the Rapid Raft. It is Durable and slightly bigger than the other two. I had to duct tape a Camelback hose to the valve to keep filling it with air but rolling it up neatly and tightly helps slow down the leaky air. The open front design for inflating works really well. If I had to choose just one raft it would be the Curtiss hands down. I have carried a full pack and hiking poles the length of Hyass with help from the wind. The waves lapped in a bit but I inflate my air mattress fully for the floor. I used my rain coat as a sail. What fun!! Having all three plus a couple five pound Coleman rafts allows me to go out with the whole family and out of town guests. My wife's niece from Florida was blown away by the paddle around Snow Lake!

"May you live in interesting times"
Leafguy

Leafguy
PostSat Sep 09, 2023 7:29 pm 
TeeJay wrote:
Not as light (just under 4 lbs) but has 400lb weight capacity and unique design. Anyone tried one of these yet?
https://unchartedsupplyco.com/products/rapid-raft
400 # capacity ? Wow! I could take an extra case of Rainier with me.

Worthington

Worthington
PostSat Sep 16, 2023 10:01 pm 
How would the Klymit be for an occasional use (say 2-4 times a summer) in alpine lakes where you might have a slight breeze but no waves or current? Is it too fragile or cheap to launch or bump against a rock? I'm 145lb myself, if it matters, and primarily I flyfish. Mostly trying to decide between the Klymit Litewater Dinghy and the Rapid Raft from uncharted. Total gear weight in the boat would be just myself and fishing gear, but ability to cast and/or kind of "sit up" would be important. Thanks!

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSun Sep 17, 2023 5:26 am 
The only currently available raft I would buy would be an Alpacka Ghost. The only downside is the price and you get what you pay for. That being said, the Klymit would do the job for you. As with any lightweight raft you have to be careful, but it is made of heavier fabric than ours was and the abrasion resistance seems good. The sitting position would probably be improved by using an air mattress as a seat, as long as it doesn’t make it too short. I’ve never seen a Rapid Raft in person but they claim it is "lightest and most packable raft to ever be made available to the public” which is the sort of lie that leads me to not trust anything they say.

TeeJay, Chief Joseph
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostThu Sep 21, 2023 8:49 am 
How did ya figure the inflatable bag for the curtiss can be a good water bag allso chief? That's some genius level stuff!!

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Sep 21, 2023 8:58 am 
I do admit that I learned a lot from you gnomie...now I have misplaced the filter and tubing that I attached to the raft bag.