Forum Index > Trip Reports > The Great Dorado Needle Summit Block Mystery of 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rstoddard24
BBQWingz

rstoddard24
BBQWingz
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 6:29 pm 
~UPDATE~ Thanks all for helping me solve the mystery. Here is an annotated photo that clearly shows the change. The only remaining question is for other climbers who climb the new variation comment on if they think the grade changes from 5.4
Case Closed!
Case Closed!
~ORIGINAL POST~ This TR is just because I am a naturally curious person, and I would like to solve the Great Dorado Needle Summit Block Mystery of 2019 Basically, we climbed last weekend and found the crux of the climb to be on the summit block (past the au cheval, what is supposed to be class 3/4). I think that there was a serious rockfall event and some critical blocks are gone. If this is true, then the summit block would now be hardest part of the climb, which would increase the technical difficulty of the NW ridge "standard" route up the peak. However I could be wrong! Maybe I am just a rock baby or maybe I am very confused about something. If you have climbed Dorado Needle recently (or previously) and have any information to corroborate or rebut my account, please speak up! I don't have that many photos of that section, so I will try to be thorough in my account. The section in question is after the au cheval brings you to the false finger summit. Just to make sure we are on the same page, here is how you get to that point: Pitch 1: "the snow pitch" climb 30m pitch up a snow finger to a notch. I passed a lower anchor and ended at the second anchor for a full 30m pitch. ~30m, moderate snow Pitch 2: climb left around a corner, up a dirty class 3/4 gully, then finish this short 15m pitch with a 5.easy move and belay at tat once the famous dorado needle finger thing comes into view. ~16m, 5.easy Pitch 3: traverse toward the finger, up one 5.4 step then finish this ~27m pitch with the famous au cheval. ~27m, 5.4 After pitch 3 you find your self at the "Finger False Summit" (FFS). See annotated photo to make sure there is no confusion about what I mean by this. The climb up until this point was nothing unexpected or different than the beta.
The part of the route in question is after pitch 3, or after you get to the FFS
The part of the route in question is after pitch 3, or after you get to the FFS
After this point, the beta says there is any easy class 4 step up a block then a short class 3 traverse to the summit. I guess some parties do this unroped. However, we saw something completely different and this is where I think the route may be different now. We looked directly at the true summit from the finger false summit, and blocking us was a ~9' step with no face features but split with a leftward slanting crack. I am a bad crack climber, but I think climbing this would be 1-2 moves of 5.9 crack and would be hard for any parties climbing in boots. We are rock babies and brought rock shoes, but still didn't really wanna climb it ha. A shoulder stand/boost or jump/mantle may be a good option; we didn't consider this in the moment. I first looked left of the crack-block and that was not an option - there is a leftward leaning detached flake over big exposure. You could fathom squeezing in between the flake and the big rock, but that would be difficult for a normal sized human and besides the flake looked like it would fall if you put entire body weight on it. I looked right around the step and saw a viable option - this is what we took. The right option around the step has good feet but no hands (or Rebecca and Philip found an undercling but I just smeared hands). It was just 1-2 moves and I protected it easily with a nice BD C4 .75 placement. Exposure was present, and we would rate this sequence 5.7. After the exciting 1-2 move traverse moves its easy class 3 to the true summit. We didn't want to downclimb that sequence since you cant see the feet from above so it would be quite difficult. We saw some tat on the summit itself around some chockstone, we reinforced it than did a ~12m rap back to the finger false summit. At first the rap was horizontal, aligning with the "class 3 traverse" beta. Then the rap takes you over the 9' crack step, which I believe was the "easy class 4 step" previously in its previous state. Here is the evidence that makes me think some blocks fell: Look at Damon' video from July 2018, You see Trace downclimbing some blocks. at 24:09 he steps down on a block. You can't see the block in the video, but he is definitely standing on something. That block was not there for us. At that same moment his hand is touching the top of the 9' crack step. See photo of Rebecca rappelling. The photo and video are taken from opposite directions, but the rock that traces hand is touching at 24:09 is the same rock Rebecca is rapping over in photo.
Rebecca rappeling the ~9' crack rock step that looked hard to climb
Annotated photo that gets to the heart of the mystery
Annotated photo that gets to the heart of the mystery
can anyone help me solve this mystery? If anyone has a photo taken from the finger false summit up to the true summit (same perspective as Rebecca rapping photo) that would help. tl;dr - maybe I am confused about something, or maybe Dorado Needle summit block is harder now. Go right and look for the undercling if you are a bad crack climber like me. If I am correct then add P4 to the beta: Pitch 4: from the FFS (Finger False Summit), traverse right of the 9' rock with leftward slanting crack, find a .75 placement on the floor, then a 2 move exposed traverse across on good feet with undercling hands, then class 3 to the summit. ~12m, 5.7 Thats all! This happened on our Eggplant climb on 7/13-14. Eggplant was the main objective (obviously), but my partners were tolerant enough to help me clean up the inspiration icecap Bulgers (eldo and dorado needle). A couple more shots from the trip:
Tepeh towers during a sun break
Tepeh towers during a sun break
thanks Kim/Liz for the BD Mid!!
thanks Kim/Liz for the BD Mid!!
The FFS (Finger False Summit), which is commonly labeled as "Dorado Needle Summit" in some photos
The FFS (Finger False Summit), which is commonly labeled as "Dorado Needle Summit" in some photos
Rebecca thinks the Au Cheval is NBD
Rebecca thinks the Au Cheval is NBD
summit!
summit!
another summit
another summit
I can't remember where this was taken
I can't remember where this was taken
No caption needed
No caption needed
Huge stoke after finally getting The Eggplant
Huge stoke after finally getting The Eggplant
Looking at one of the lesser peaks we climbed on this trip
Looking at one of the lesser peaks we climbed on this trip
Forbidden!
Forbidden!
Philip sets his eyes on the J-Berg false summit
Philip sets his eyes on the J-Berg false summit
strava link: https://www.strava.com/activities/2533341801

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 6:58 pm 
rstoddard24 wrote:
Although I haven't climbed this, as a geologist I think that the place directly below Rebecca's right foot shows a distinctly different appearance than the lichen-covered rock to the left and far right.. Although the lichen- free ( or lichen- sparse) rock is still weathered, this could be explained if there was a loose or partially detached block like we see all the time. The space in the joint (fracture) would facilitate surface weathering if not much 'lichenization'. Recently if the block dropped away due to cumulative ice wedging + gravity (hopefully not due to a climber's meager weight!), the piece that Trace might have been standing on in the other picture looking the other direction was that block! Good observation and detective work! That will make the summit a bit more challenging, it seems to me! EDIT: after watching the video, I am 99.9% certain that Trace is standing on a now- absent block! Not to detract from his climbing ability, but note how he just casually steps right over the edge, not what we would expect if he was downclimbing a slanted offwidth. The block is extinct, absent, gone forever, in the block afterlife, snuffed, is no more ( better quit...now sounding like Monty Python).

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
rstoddard24
BBQWingz

rstoddard24
BBQWingz
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 7:01 pm 
@Brushbuffalo I noticed the differences in rock color too and was thinking the same thing!!

Stephen B

Stephen B
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 10:00 pm 
Scott Braswell and I climbed this in a whiteout (C2C, with fog from P1 on up) maybe 3 years ago. I can't tell unfortunately how different your finish was. I do remember that after the au cheval it was quite simple though - even in a whiteout, there was no routefinding and no hard moves. We were roped up still, of course, but I recall it being easy peasy from then on. So, sounds like something broke loose.

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 10:36 pm 
I just reviewed Gimpilator's video of when we were up there on a bluebird day and I can be seen clearly mantling a block in front of that crack that would have been where that light colored face is. There's no doubt in my mind that it did indeed fall away and the climb is more challenging now. Thanks for sharing this. up.gif

rstoddard24
BBQWingz

rstoddard24
BBQWingz
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 11:24 pm 
Thanks @Michael Lewis. For anyone else interested, I believe this is what he is referring to, which clearly shows the missing block. Thanks!!

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jul 18, 2019 9:25 am 
Yep, I have been up that move several times. I can see something is missing. First ascent!!

Art is an adventure.
iron

iron
PostThu Jul 18, 2019 12:10 pm 
Stefan wrote:
Yep, I have been up that move several times.
a repeat? say it ain't so!

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Jul 18, 2019 1:22 pm 
Darn, I took at least 20 photos in all directions from the Au Cheval to the summit but that is one view I didn't get. I can only think that it was unremarkable after getting past the false finger summit. Thanks for the detailed write-up, and good beta for future climbers.

gb

gb
PostThu Jul 18, 2019 3:12 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
rstoddard24 wrote:
Although I haven't climbed this, as a geologist I think that the place directly below Rebecca's right foot shows a distinctly different appearance than the lichen-covered rock to the left and far right.. Although the lichen- free ( or lichen- sparse) rock is still weathered, this could be explained if there was a loose or partially detached block like we see all the time. The space in the joint (fracture) would facilitate surface weathering if not much 'lichenization'. Recently if the block dropped away due to cumulative ice wedging + gravity (hopefully not due to a climber's meager weight!), the piece that Trace might have been standing on in the other picture looking the other direction was that block! Good observation and detective work! That will make the summit a bit more challenging, it seems to me! EDIT: after watching the video, I am 99.9% certain that Trace is standing on a now- absent block! Not to detract from his climbing ability, but note how he just casually steps right over the edge, not what we would expect if he was downclimbing a slanted offwidth. The block is extinct, absent, gone forever, in the block afterlife, snuffed, is no more ( better quit...now sounding like Monty Python).
I agree on the different appearance of the rock, i.e. no lichen on the gold/tan rock next to the crack. I did this particular route in ski boots years ago. That would be pretty difficult now.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Jul 19, 2019 7:44 am 
That the block is gone is 100% confirmed by the video of Michael Lewis climbing it. Now, who has pictures of the summit of Dome before the top fell off, I don't know, maybe about 15 or so years ago? Maybe that's a new thread that could be fascinating, such as Trigger Finger at Peshastin Pinnacles before and after ( for us old- timers), etc.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostFri Jul 19, 2019 9:45 am 
Quote:
Now, who has pictures of the summit of Dome before the top fell off, I don't know, maybe about 15 or so years ago? .
The boulder seemingly "placed by a playful diety" (Beckey) on the summit of Dome, was gone by 1993. There is a thread here on NW hikers where that is discussed, from maybe 2010 or so. Did you know Dome is an important mountain? lol. I will try to dig it up.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostFri Jul 19, 2019 9:48 am 
Bob Bolton has a good one on the Dome Peak peakbagger page.

iron

iron
PostFri Jul 19, 2019 9:58 am 
^ must've been one deep glacier!

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostFri Jul 19, 2019 10:09 am 
iron wrote:
^ must've been one deep glacier!
Yeah look at that thing...it's a breccia! Completely different rock type than Dome itself. I wonder if Dome used to be somewhat like the Matterhorn in the sense that there were 3-4 different glaciers terminating together in a big ice dome above, ie. on top of where the summit of Dome is today.... eek.gif

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com