Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bull's Tooth, Doughgob, & Lemool, 9/13-14/2014
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon Sep 15, 2014 12:00 am 
Dates: September 13-14, 2014 Party: Sadie's Driver, Middle E, Matt Hiking to camp at Chain Lakes:
Arriving at Lower Chain Lake; Bulls Tooth real summit is at far left
Arriving at Lower Chain Lake; Bulls Tooth real summit is at far left
Gorgeous camp on a rock slab at the head of Middle Chain Lake
Gorgeous camp on a rock slab at the head of Middle Chain Lake
Bulls Tooth
Which one is the summit?
Which one is the summit?
Looking down on Chain Lakes from Bulls Tooth
Looking down on Chain Lakes from Bulls Tooth
The summit rocks
The summit rocks
Suzanne arriving near the summit
Suzanne arriving near the summit
Summit photo
Summit photo
Casting a shadow out toward Chiwaukum & Snowgrass
Casting a shadow out toward Chiwaukum & Snowgrass
Looking over at the more tooth-shaped summit
Looking over at the more tooth-shaped summit
Evening Colors
Reflection in Middle Chain Lake
Reflection in Middle Chain Lake
Another reflection
Another reflection
Rocks turning red
Rocks turning red
Bright red light on Suzanne's bird-shaped rock
Bright red light on Suzanne's bird-shaped rock
Early birthday celebration
Early birthday celebration
Big Dipper over the lake
Big Dipper over the lake
Doughgob
Three marmots
Three marmots
Doelle Lake
Doelle Lake
More Doelle Lake
More Doelle Lake
The colors on Doughgob were incredible in the morning sun
On top of Doughgob:
Running the ridge to the true summit
Running the ridge to the true summit
and Bulls Tooth in the background
and Bulls Tooth in the background
Group photo
Group photo
Looking across to Chiwaukum
Looking across to Chiwaukum
Looking the other way to Lemool
Looking the other way to Lemool
Returning
Returning
More colors
On the way back:
Swimming in Doelle Lake
Swimming in Doelle Lake
Industrious Pika
Industrious Pika
Doelle Lake & Doughgob
Doelle Lake & Doughgob
Upper & Middle Chain Lakes
Upper & Middle Chain Lakes
Lemool
Lemool summit photo
Lemool summit photo
My camera battery died at this point.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Sep 15, 2014 5:52 am 
Nice fall colors. up.gif I love that place and it does not get a lot of traffic (at least not much traffic coming from the Frosty Pass side). Back in the day my wife and I went in there several times. Once on the original trail that went up Doughgod Creek. Too bad that trail has gone back to nature.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Sep 15, 2014 6:22 am 
Gorgeous! up.gif

iron

iron
PostMon Sep 15, 2014 8:50 am 
looking good matt. that's a beautiful spot tucked in there.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Sep 15, 2014 10:36 am 
Beautiful area. Good to see the fall colors starting.

chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostMon Sep 15, 2014 11:26 am 
up.gif up.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Sep 15, 2014 12:46 pm 
Matt wrote:
Three marmots
Three marmots
Nice capture. All 3 appear to be looking at the same thing. That's an interesting area. I got in there once many years ago. I sorta had a notion to climb the Bull's Tooth but got confused about which peak was actually it and didn't summit anything.

contour5

contour5
PostMon Sep 15, 2014 6:57 pm 
Nice colors!

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostMon Sep 15, 2014 8:41 pm 
Matt wrote:
Dates: September 13-14, 2014 Party: Sadie's Driver, Middle E, Matt
rolleyes.gif And now, for the rest of the story - the details that Matt left out! lol.gif winksmile.gif I was surprised when Matt said that he had never been to Bulls Tooth or Chain and Doelle lakes. I told him that I would be more than happy to show him the USGS Bulls Tooth – the same one identified by Ira Spring and Harvey Manning in the 100 Hikes in the Alpine Lakes (pg. 50) as being Bulls tooth – all 6807’ of it. Trail Pair, Clover and I found that one Labor Day weekend 2007 Bulls Tooth 2007 . Barry and I went back in 2011 No Bull to do (supposedly) the REAL Bulls Tooth (6840’ & where the summit register is) as a day hike and to leave the NW Hikers Traveling Summit Register. Well, the winter winds of 2010 foiled us and after struggling mightily to clamber over/under/around/and through blowdown, we gave up after about 1/10th of a mile from the Icicle Creek crossing. It was overwhelming. Alas, the traveling register didn’t make it up there – in fact, the last anyone saw or heard of the traveling register was when we put it on Mac Peak and it disappeared. Anyway, back to this weekend’s adventure. The three of us agreed to this trip, since Barb, Elle, Ragman and Denali Girl (and Izzy) were headed to Thunder Mountain Lakes and Thor. Since we had just done that trip (plus Thunder Mountain and Nimbus and K-9) the year before, the three of us opted for a new summit for all of us. We met at the Stevens Pass Nordic Center and headed up the Mill Creek Road to where you don’t want to go any farther – that’s just beyond the hairpin (where Matt parked) and where the road starts heading much more steeply uphill. There is a pull out here and one car already was parked there when we arrived. Just north (back down the road) of the hairpin is where you can find the trailhead for the cut-off/connector trail that will dump you out onto the PCT. We actually took a shortcut to the cut-off trail (a little steep) that's closer to the hairpin, but eventually we hooked up with the connector route and soon landed on the PCT where Matt looked for the sign that says “Yield To Thru Hikers.” dizzy.gif In a short distance, you are at Lake Susan Jane and stay on the PCT South and head up to reach the Icicle Creek trail #1551.
Avalanche slope - lots of debris left around here
Avalanche slope - lots of debris left around here
Lake Susan Jane as seen from the PCT
Lake Susan Jane as seen from the PCT
The junction of the PCT and Icicle Creek trail
The junction of the PCT and Icicle Creek trail
We passed four Thru Hikers – this guy was quite affable and seemed to be having a good time.
PCT-Turtle looking strong
PCT-Turtle looking strong
He figured it would take him another two weeks to finish. He was from Northern California and started his journey March 31. Didn’t seem to be in a particular hurry – but was looking forward to meeting his wife at Stevens Pass. He has a story and a blog http://pctturtle.com. A couple of other guys we met seemed ready to be done. I said that some of the best part of the hike is yet to come through the North Cascades. To which they quipped, “All flat and meadows the rest of the way, right?” shakehead.gif We were on our own mission – passing the tarns just off the PCT and dropping down to Josephine Lake.
On the Icicle Creek Trail
On the Icicle Creek Trail
Matt getting a first view of Josephine Lake
Matt getting a first view of Josephine Lake
Looking down on Josephine Lake
Looking down on Josephine Lake
Josephine Lake
Josephine Lake
Junction of Icicle Creek and Whitepine trails
Junction of Icicle Creek and Whitepine trails
Man among the tall timbers
Man among the tall timbers
It was phenomenal to see the tree parts that still bordered the trail . . . not surprising we didn’t make it farther in 2011.
Now I understand why we had a tough time getting through here in 2011
Now I understand why we had a tough time getting through here in 2011
A mess left by the 2010 windstorm
A mess left by the 2010 windstorm
We wouldn’t see anyone else until we got just about to the Chain Lakes turn-off where we met a guy with his dog heading out.
The 1800' climb from Icicle Creek starts here
The 1800' climb from Icicle Creek starts here
The grind begins as you take the Chain Lakes trail #1569 up 1800’. We were within about 1 mile of the first Chain Lake when we met up with a guy and his three donkeys coming down
Donkey butt
Donkey butt
He was “recreating” he said – not carrying anything but a small hand saw to do some pretty random trail maintenance. The donkeys were friendly. Finally at Chain Lakes, the views open up to spectacular!
Heading into the Chains
Heading into the Chains
The colors, they are a changin'
The colors, they are a changin'
No words needed
No words needed
Just in case you couldn't tell
Just in case you couldn't tell
We finally settled on a “home” above the 2nd Chain Lake
Chain Lake #2
Chain Lake #2
– deciding to do Bulls Tooth today and Doughgob Peak in the morning and then (maybe) Lemool on the way out. We settled into our camp site and then headed out for Bulls Tooth, with a vague idea of our route.
That bird on the right was there in 2007, too - still looks pretty healthy
That bird on the right was there in 2007, too - still looks pretty healthy
Chain Lake #3 - the shallowest of the three
Chain Lake #3 - the shallowest of the three
Boulder hopping
Boulder hopping
Looking back down at Chain Lakes - from near base of summit block
Looking back down at Chain Lakes - from near base of summit block
This way . . . they think
This way . . . they think
It’s no wonder that the Bulls Tooth summit register only has a few pages of entries. First placed on the summit in 2001 by Jimmy Jeans, there are some years no one has visited. The route is ambiguous for one - and add to that the climb itself. For 2014, we were only the 2nd party. It's a bit of a sporting scramble after you get up the gully and then circle around the SE side of the summit block to the top – there also is this nasty hole you have to negotiate because you would drop a bit with a misstep - and that's right at the summit. But you can’t beat the views – and today, it was crystal clear and pleasantly warm. Matt stood on top of the highest summit rock – I was satisfied merely touching it! So, I guess I get to claim BOTH Bulls Tooth summits now! agree.gif
Matt on the summit of Bulls Tooth (actually - the rock on the right side of this photo is the tallest point - I didn't get a shot of Matt on top - darn)
Matt on the summit of Bulls Tooth (actually - the rock on the right side of this photo is the tallest point - I didn't get a shot of Matt on top - darn)
Glacier Peak zoom
Glacier Peak zoom
Mt. Baker zoom from top of Bulls Tooth
Mt. Baker zoom from top of Bulls Tooth
Looking across from the 6840' summit to the 6807' USGS summit of Bulls Tooth (to the southwest)
Looking across from the 6840' summit to the 6807' USGS summit of Bulls Tooth (to the southwest)
We headed back to camp, amazingly ending up at the bottom of the boulders just about where we had started.
Barry heading down the "obvious" gully
Barry heading down the "obvious" gully
Matt at the base of the Bulls Tooth summit block
Matt at the base of the Bulls Tooth summit block
Matt coming down the heather and boulder fields from Bulls Tooth
Matt coming down the heather and boulder fields from Bulls Tooth
It was such a pleasant evening.
Tent with a view
Tent with a view
Evening reflection
Evening reflection
Last of the sun for today on Pt. 6604
Last of the sun for today on Pt. 6604
Fading light on Bulls Tooth Ridge
Fading light on Bulls Tooth Ridge
Dinner time
Dinner time
We even had a little early birthday celebration for Matt, since I won’t be available next weekend to celebrate his real birthday.
Party table
Party table
Matt  celebrating a #55 a little early
Matt celebrating a #55 a little early
The stars were magnificent. Supposedly, we were going to be able to see the Northern Lights Saturday night – but somehow I slept through it, if, in fact, it did appear. (David/Opus got a beautiful pic of the Milky Way at Thunder Mountain Lakes on their trip Saturday.) We did see an AMAZING shooting star/meteor, however. At about 8:30 p.m., low on the western sky there was the bright-bright flash of light and then burn-out. Too quick for the camera. NOTE: I guess this is what we saw: Comet over the Northwest The next morning was surprisingly mild – I expected it to be freezing because of the clear skies. We were up and on the trail before 8:00 a.m. – but it would be slow progress up to the ridge notch at 6200’+ because of lots of shutter delay for guys like this.
Chubby Marmots on the rocks in the early morning (before the sun hits)
Chubby Marmots on the rocks in the early morning (before the sun hits)
And then, once at the notch, even MORE shutter delay because of the morning sun. It was still chilly enough for their to be frost in places.
Moon above Point 6604 on the Bulls Tooth Ridge
Moon above Point 6604 on the Bulls Tooth Ridge
Ice crystals on the trail as we head down from the Bulls Tooth ridge
Ice crystals on the trail as we head down from the Bulls Tooth ridge
Barry was impatiently tolerant of our snail’s pace.
Barry (im)patiently waiting for the shutter bugs
Barry (im)patiently waiting for the shutter bugs
We circled around the north side of the first Doelle and made our way to the Doughgob ridge. Today’s adventures had a lot of ups and downs. But the morning light was spectacular.
Matt and Barry heading up the Doughgob west ridge
Matt and Barry heading up the Doughgob west ridge
Looking east down the Doughgod Creek drainage
Looking east down the Doughgod Creek drainage
Morning sun on Doughgob
Morning sun on Doughgob
The west ridge leading up to lesser (Doughgirl) Doughgob
The west ridge leading up to lesser (Doughgirl) Doughgob
Bulls Tooth Ridge as seen from the Doughgob Ridge
Bulls Tooth Ridge as seen from the Doughgob Ridge
The back of the bird next to what really looks like a tooth!
The back of the bird next to what really looks like a tooth!
A zoom looking back to Bulls Tooth Ridge
A zoom looking back to Bulls Tooth Ridge
What I want to know is how the peak became known as Doughgob and the creek valley as Doughgod? A typo, perhaps? First we came to Little Doughkid;
This is the summit of Doughkid
This is the summit of Doughkid
then the mighty Doughgirl;
Matt coming up to Doughgirl with Doughgod Creek below
Matt coming up to Doughgirl with Doughgod Creek below
Driver on Doughgirl summit
Driver on Doughgirl summit
before dropping to the east and down a little to make our way back to the ridge
Summit of Doughgob
Summit of Doughgob
Looking back at the gnarly ridge from Doughgirl to Doughgob
Looking back at the gnarly ridge from Doughgirl to Doughgob
Last little climb to the summit of Doughgob
Last little climb to the summit of Doughgob
and up to Doughgob proper – which in this picture, doesn’t look to be the highest point – but it is.
Doughgob summits and ridges - believe it or not, the summit to the left (north) is the highest!
Doughgob summits and ridges - believe it or not, the summit to the left (north) is the highest!
Driver attempting to find a non-existent summit register
Driver attempting to find a non-existent summit register
From here, we looked down towards the Whitepine Creek drainage and spied two hunters in full garb. Glad I had on my orange shirt! More views from the summit looking north to Glacier and Baker and even the Mountain Loop peaks.
Sloan on the right with his neighbors
Sloan on the right with his neighbors
Heading back to the ridge, Matt decided to take the more direct, western slope off of Doughgob
Matt on the Doughgob Ridge looking back to the Bulls Tooth Ridge
Matt on the Doughgob Ridge looking back to the Bulls Tooth Ridge
While Barry and I retraced our steps
Heading back to Doughgirl from the summit Doughgob
Heading back to Doughgirl from the summit Doughgob
We actually caught up to Matt near where one route takes off towards Frosty Pass. Our goal was to visit lower Doelle Lake-
Lower Doelle has a horse camp
Lower Doelle has a horse camp
And where Matt considered taking one of his swims
Matt assessing his swimming location
Matt assessing his swimming location
But we went on up to Upper Doelle where we ran into a hiker who wasn't quite sure where he was going, but he thought he would come out on the Whitepine Creek trailhead paranoid.gif Good luck! We parted ways with Matt at the Upper Lake so he could take his swim.
Looking from the west end of upper Doelle Lake to Doughgob
Looking from the west end of upper Doelle Lake to Doughgob
Matt getting ready for his swim in upper Doelle lake
Matt getting ready for his swim in upper Doelle lake
As we were coming down the Chain Lakes side of the ridge – two rotund Marmots scampered across the trail in front of us – not sure if they were our posers from earlier in the morning or not. We got back to camp, packed up and had a quick snack – it already was after 1:00 p.m. (so much for the Seahawks game) – and headed out. As we were travelling around the north edge of Chain Lake #2, Matt was on his way down from the ridge. He was contemplating a swim in Chain Lakes (you should have waited Matt – there were some naked women in Chain Lake #1 as we went past on our way out – Barry didn’t notice lol.gif . . . ). Matt also was exhibiting his OCPBS* and was planning on an ascent of Lemool – all 600’ of it above the trail out – which we figured we could miss. Said our good-byes again and headed out - back down the Chain Lakes trail, with a water break at the crossing of Icicle Creek, then back up to Josephine Lake (only person we saw all the way back to the car was one guy at the lake). We got back to the car by about 4:30 p.m. – taking us 1 ˝ hrs. less time to get back than it took us to get into the lakes. I left a note on Matt’s car saying that I would have the trip report up before he got home . . . my little ploy worked, he got the trip report up first . . . now he has time to work on that report from three weeks ago to Glacier Lake/Chikamin/Lemah-1/4 Brothers! tongue.gif smile.gif up.gif Fun trip as the seasons change color in a beautiful area that doesn’t get much traffic - thankfully. *Obsessive/compulsive/peak bagger syndrome

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Sep 15, 2014 10:35 pm 
Matt - no summit tea photo? We were up there with Torok years ago; we scrambled up something; I thought it might have been Bull's Tooth. I don't know, though ( Isn't this a fascinating post? rolleyes.gif )

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostWed Sep 17, 2014 6:00 pm 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
there were some naked women in Chain Lake #1 as we went past on our way out – Barry didn’t notice lol.gif
Huh, there was more than one??!! I have heard numerous tales about the Driver climbing the wrong Bulls Tooth, rivaled only by those about climbing the wrong Thunder Mtn. dizzy.gif That said, it was not obvious that we were on the right summit until we were actually standing on it!
On to the next lake
On to the next lake
Middle Chain Lk.
Middle Chain Lk.
That looks like a tooth
That looks like a tooth
Looking down on Chain Lakes
Looking down on Chain Lakes
Matt heading off to find color
Matt heading off to find color
Sunset afterglow
Sunset afterglow