Forum Index > Trail Talk > North Cascade National Park Grizzley Bear Reintroduction
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ashleynne

Ashleynne
PostThu Apr 18, 2024 1:26 am 
I respect whatever decision that will be implemented. If grizzlies come back wherever they are placed I will rescind any wants to backpack that area. Now if they decide to drop some moose’s in I may avoid those areas all together. 😂

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Apr 18, 2024 5:30 am 
Not to worry the Griz will eat up the moose just like wolves have decimated the deer and elk population in areas where they exist

Ski
letsgobobby

letsgobobby
PostThu Apr 25, 2024 8:43 am 
uww, zimmertr  fourteen410, Anne Elk
altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Apr 25, 2024 10:43 am 
Wow, I didn't know this would come so soon. When can we expect the first shipment of bears? This summer? Can you buy stock in bear spray and bear canisters? If Trump gets elected will this plan be aborted?

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Apr 25, 2024 11:41 am 
Maybe the FS/NPS will implement policies similar to what's done in Banff NP et al: when a bear is sighted/reported in a certain geographic area, it's either closed off to all hikers or limited to parties of 4+ for "safety". Place your bets now for how long from first bear introductions to complaints about griz incidents with livestock, humans, etc. huh.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostThu Apr 25, 2024 11:52 am 
I don't know how long it will take, but this will mean Grizzlies will be present throughout the WA Cascades, not just the park. Eventually. Imagine a grizzly going through the the conga line on the way to snow lake. That's going to be some wild video.

Anne Elk
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Apr 25, 2024 12:24 pm 
I can't wait until the first preschooler is ripped from the front porch swing. Just kidding! Everyone knows houses don't have big front porches anymore. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Apr 25, 2024 1:23 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
I can't wait until the first preschooler is ripped from the front porch swing.
Actually, that's not so much of a joke. Granted, this incident was in Alaska, but if introduced griz start having difficulty with food sources or water, they'll be comin' down the mountain for all kinds of easier pickins. As mentioned in an earlier part of this debate, griz avoidance/deterrance is an issue in Montana, which has significantly lower population density near the prime griz habitat. I'll probably get pilloried for "catastrophizing". I think funds would be better spent focusing on habitat restoration and continuity, and let bears follow the food as they are able. Like the Yukon-to-Yellowstone initiative, which doesn't focus on moving apex predators around. One of their animal studies involved a wolf named "Pluie":
Quote:
The scientific research of Pluie's movements showed wildlife needed larger areas than biologists thought
Onward with the grand experiment. arrow.gif

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Apr 25, 2024 3:03 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
I can't wait until the first preschooler is ripped from the front porch swing.
Actually, that's not so much of a joke. Granted, this incident was in Alaska, but if introduced griz start having difficulty with food sources or water, they'll be comin' down the mountain for all kinds of easier pickins. As mentioned in an earlier part of this debate, griz avoidance/deterrance is an issue in Montana, which has significantly lower population density near the prime griz habitat. I'll probably get pilloried for "catastrophizing". I think funds would be better spent focusing on habitat restoration and continuity, and let bears follow the food as they are able. Like the Yukon-to-Yellowstone initiative, which doesn't focus on moving apex predators around. One of their animal studies involved a wolf named "Pluie":
Quote:
The scientific research of Pluie's movements showed wildlife needed larger areas than biologists thought
Onward with the grand experiment. arrow.gif
First let me note that the deaths of those two, as well as the deaths of anyone, is not a joke. The point of my post was to lampoon the overwrought rhetoric surrounding this reintroduction. So the fact that these occurred in very remote Canadian wilderness of the Yukon Territory, and that it was AFAIK the only such incident ever, only serves to reinforce my point. As for the "grand experiment", everything we humans do to change our environment is an experiment. Most of the grand experiments we have done were with little to none consideration for the negative consequences. We have damned river systems, cut down wide swaths of timber, extirpated species after species (including native tribes) and introduced other species, etc etc etc ad nauseum. Much to our chagrin, we have discovered the disastrous results of our meddling experiments cannot be easily undone. This reintroduction of griz into the North Cascades is miniscule and measured compared to the mindless meddling we have already done. So I pretty much see this as baby steps trying to undo the damage we did previously. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

kiliki, Waterman
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Apr 25, 2024 4:00 pm 
Well, one thing's sure: we can't get on the same page about griz: Montana to start trucking grizzlies into Yellowstone region to improve delisting prospects doof.gif

uww

uww
PostThu Apr 25, 2024 5:09 pm 
Some people are very determined to ignore the mistakes of the past. In other news: https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20240423-the-scavengers-stalking-the-worlds-cities

reststep  Anne Elk
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostThu Apr 25, 2024 5:24 pm 
Trail closures are going to be off the hook.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Apr 25, 2024 9:17 pm 
They need to let these bears loose, thin out the crowds!!

RumiDude
Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostThu Apr 25, 2024 9:36 pm 
Wildlife management is an oxymoron

Worthington

Worthington
PostThu Apr 25, 2024 9:46 pm 
Quote:
Public feedback played a key role in the decision. During the fall 2023 public comment period, more than 12,000 comments were received on both the draft Environmental Impact Statement and a proposed 10(j) rule.
It's curious that the NPS says the public comments not only mattered, but played a key role. Yet doesn't mention what % of the comments were for or against the reintroduction.

Anne Elk