Forum Index > Photography Talk > Best Camera for Hiking?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostThu Apr 25, 2024 10:05 am 
I'd like to buy a small camera for hiking. Do folks have a favorite they could recommend? Or should I upgrade my phone (iPhone 8)? Thanks, B smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Apr 25, 2024 11:05 am 
I'd upgrade your phone.

Now I Fly
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Apr 25, 2024 12:51 pm 
Ditto I used to use a small waterproof camera but iphones and android phones produce equal result and are waterproof to the same degree with multiple lenses.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Now I Fly
Gil

Gil
PostMon Apr 29, 2024 3:55 pm 
For most people, today's phones are pretty darn good, especially if you don't need long telephoto capability. Phones today outperform most of today's small point and shoots. But when you need a telephoto, you need a telephoto.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini

Now I Fly, rubywrangler
huron

huron
PostMon Apr 29, 2024 4:27 pm 
Even phones are obsolete. Just ask your AI of choice to generate some scenes based on your itinerary.

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostWed May 01, 2024 10:52 pm 
Last year I upgraded to an iPhone 14 Pro instead of replacing the camera I drowned and I have regretted it ever since. So I’d recommend a Sony RX100 m5 or m6, depending on whether you want to spend more for a longer zoom.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed May 01, 2024 11:48 pm 
I have an I-phone 8 and am happy with the photo quality, probably better than my last Sony point and shoot camera. I would not recommend a P&S camera, if you want the best quality imho you are going to have to spent a lot and carry a lot more weight in camera gear. Iphone8....

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostSun May 05, 2024 9:52 am 
I ended up taking Toms advice on the Google Pixel 7 Pro. My iPhone8 was really beat to *rap anyway, and I know I'll love all the storage on the Pixel 7. Using an Android will be new for me. Hopefully not too hard to figure out. I mainly just use GAIA, Strava, and the camera. Thanks for your ideas! I'll let you know how the new phone works for me. smile.gif Cheers, B

Gil
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun May 05, 2024 1:16 pm 
Hope it works out. Switching from iphone to android may be a bit of an adjustment. While some might argue that phones tend to over process things, I personally prefer the more muted processing of the pixels vs. iphone and samsung. First thing to do when you get your pixel is go into settings and select "natural" for colors. Also, with the money you saved vs. buying an iphone, I would recommend paying $100/year for google storage after you run out of your free 15GB of googe photos online storage. That way everything is backed up on your phone (as well as your computer). Also, if you use google photos, you won't have to pay for another photo or backup service. Editing photos in google photos is a great experience, it's all I really use now. I also really like that edits are non-destructive, so you can revert back to the original.

Now I Fly
Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostMon May 06, 2024 3:15 pm 
rubywrangler wrote:
Last year I upgraded to an iPhone 14 Pro instead of replacing the camera I drowned and I have regretted it ever since.
Me too. I upgraded to the 14 Pro and now despise the camera software on the iPhone due to how the iPhone automatically processes the pictures I take. Makes me wish an option was provided to let me adjust my own pictures. I even spent money on other camera apps that did the same as the iPhone camera app, but not as bad. Biggest gripe has been HDR and how it’s adjusted by software and baked into the picture.

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln