Forum Index > Trail Talk > Drought emergency declared for most of WA
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Logbear

Logbear
PostMon Apr 22, 2024 12:25 pm 
Cliff Mass also wrote this.. https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2024-04-15T21:51:00-07:00&max-results=2&start=2&by-date=false

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Apr 22, 2024 12:49 pm 
Logbear wrote:
Cliff Mass also wrote this..
He continues to ignore the cumulative ground evaporation/transpiration rates. banghead.gif The Palmer Drought Severity Index tells a more complete story. According to the index, we've been in a "severe drought" here on the west side of the Cascades July thru December, "moderately severe drought" from January thru March. Our soils are considerably "desaturated" from historical levels because of sustained higher temps in the summer months, and we're not making up for it sufficiently in the winter. That's why so many of our native trees are stressed. Talk to any experienced arborist. *edit: Additional info for newcomers not familiar with my previous references re the Palmer Drought Index, check out the Wikipedia entry. As the article explains, it has its shortcomings, but IMO it's becoming an increasingly useful metric as our soils continue to dry out over long periods; especially when viewed in light of lower snowpacks which melt a lot faster.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
gb

gb
PostMon Apr 22, 2024 5:18 pm 
Logbear

Logbear
PostMon Apr 22, 2024 8:58 pm 
Ashleynne wrote:
I don’t understand why we don’t prescribed fires like other states do. Or if we do, we don’t do much of it. Not looking forward to being choked out by smoke, lessening the beautiful views, and being sectioned to certain areas due to it.
You're right. We don't do enough prescribed burning. 2,580 acres this year isn't going to do much. https://hoodline.com/2024/03/washington-state-to-conduct-prescribed-burns-on-2-580-acres-to-enhance-forest-health-cut-wildfire-risk/

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Logbear

Logbear
PostMon Apr 22, 2024 9:15 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
He continues to ignore the cumulative ground evaporation/transpiration rates. banghead.gif
Cliff Mass can't ignore the obvious. Last week he wrote,
Quote:
I had to water some new plants today because the last few weeks have been relatively dry

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Apr 22, 2024 10:45 pm 
Muss is my inferior when it comes to forecasting abilities

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostWed Apr 24, 2024 7:51 am 
I keep a bucket next to the shower. I do not have a recirculating system for my hot water and the hot water tank is perhaps 30 feet away from the tub spout. So, before I shower, I let the cold water fill the bucket and when it turns warm, I set the bucket out to be used to flush the toilet later. Seems a good sensible way not to waste water.... cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")

ChinookPass, Aussie, Anne Elk
Logbear

Logbear
PostWed Apr 24, 2024 10:51 am 
Quote:
5+ acre brush fire near Lyman, Skagit County. And so it starts....
Quote:
It's also wayyyyyyy too early to start moaning about fires.
Our local fire district posted this on their facebook page.
Quote:
Late Saturday afternoon Skagit County Fire Departments/Districts and the Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR) responded to a fast moving wind driven 50 acre brush fire in the Lyman area. At the peak of this fire nearly every Skagit County Fire Department, and the DNR were protecting people, structures and fighting the fire. The DNR ordered an aircraft to also provide initial attack support. Extensive mop up, fire line construction, and fire weakened hazard tree mitigation would be required over a several day period. The DNR pushed out a request for assistance. Getchell Fire along with a 4 other Snohomish County Agencies (Getchell, Tulalip Bay, Goldbar, and Snohomish Regional) sent a Strike Team of Brush Fire Engines and a Strike Team Leader to assist beginning work Sunday morning at 0700. Getchell Firefighters are helping to finish mop up tasks today and will return home tonight. The Getchell Fire Department has been very involved in regional, state, and interstate wildfire deployment for 25 years and this is the earliest deployment ever by 40 days. Please be careful when you decide to burn natural vegetation.
Humidity on April 20th was 22%. April 19th was 21%. I've been keeping my own weather records for 6 years and that's the lowest humidity I've ever seen.

Anne Elk, Cyclopath
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostWed Apr 24, 2024 1:00 pm 
Working on fuel reduction today. Raking up lots of dry cones and fine branches from under our Douglas Fir trees. Got the burn pile going.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostWed Apr 24, 2024 4:56 pm 
Everyone hating on Cliff Mass, I noticed you did not refute the bulk of what he wrote. Then again, he's a UW scientist who challenges the dominant narrative. Can't be doing that now can we.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Apr 24, 2024 5:22 pm 
It's fairly well laid out in the comments here, even by those who have been generally supportive of Cliff Mass, shrug.

huron

huron
PostWed Apr 24, 2024 5:47 pm 
Joseph wrote:
challenges the dominant narrative
Mass will admit that the climate is warming due to human causes. He does this only after ranting about how some part of a recent headline, report or statement by a politician or organization he dislikes can be shown to be not technically correct. It's as if he is a passenger with you on a flight out of Seatac and the captain comes on the PA: "click... sorry folks, but we have lost flight control and are about to hit the side of that mountain in front of you." Then Mass stands up from his seat and shouts "no, that's not a mountain, that's a volcano and you are not a geologist so you shouldn't be making such a comment". CRASH. As a supposed climatologist, shouldn't his main focus be working on and talking about the actual climate change issues that he admits exists? No, he rants on about every little distracting nitpick. And when he nitpicks, it's often cherry-picking and misrepresentation of data like pointed out above. His brain can't handle the cognitive dissonance resulting from the trajectory of his life-long field of work and his long held biases. The warming climate narrative is dominant because it is obvious. Needs no challenge.

IanB, gb, Cyclopath
idoru

idoru
PostWed Apr 24, 2024 6:07 pm 
So... the Neal deGrasse Tyson of climatologists meteorologists.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Apr 24, 2024 6:50 pm 
Obligatory humor interlude.
The Neal deGrasse Tyson of Neal deGrasse Tyson
The Neal deGrasse Tyson of Neal deGrasse Tyson

day_hike_mike
Logbear

Logbear
PostWed Apr 24, 2024 6:56 pm 
If you want to hate on Cliff Mass, the least you could do is label him correctly. He's a Meteorologist, not a Climatologist. Sometimes he writes about climate stuff, but..from the UW
Quote:
Cliff Mass is a meteorologist who specializes in weather prediction and modeling. A particular emphasis of his research has been the weather features of the western United States
I don't care much for his writings about climate or politics. After all, he is neither a politician or a climatologist. And although I enjoy reading his writing about weather prediction and modeling, I also read NOAA's weather predictions, along with other sources.