Forum Index > Partners > Need someone to backpack off trail with
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ashleynne

Ashleynne
PostTue Apr 16, 2024 10:01 am 
Hello everyone! I am new here. I guess it took me until Covid to realize how trafficked the majority of the trails are here in Washington. I’ve become fascinated of wanting to get to lakes this summer with no established trail or primitive ones. I am hoping to join a party who has a decent amount of experience doing this. I found this site through looking at the lakes I was interested in on google maps. The catch? I know very little about navigation although I would like to learn from these experiences. I am a strong hiker although chances are easy that you are much stronger than me if you have been doing this for quite awhile. I’ve done mailbox, mt. Rose, overnight at spectacle lake, I’ve done enchanted valley in two nights, all for reference. I just want to tag along! I’m hoping there are passionate hikers in here that would like to pass on their knowledge and take me under their wing. I am very aware that it is hard work and I am willing to put in the effort. Some lakes I have interest in are for example is Berdeen lake, iswoot lake, lake locket, lake Rebecca, etc.

Ski
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostWed Apr 17, 2024 8:56 am 
Hi Ashleynne, Cool idea! I have similar interests, but live up in the islands and may have different availability. Still, I'd be happy to join a group of like-minded, compass-toting wilderness lakebaggers. :-) Phil

Ashleynne

Ashleynne
PostThu Apr 18, 2024 1:17 am 
What islands are those? San Juan I imagine? I definitely think if there isn’t a group started there should be! I know quite a few people interested but hard to have a group when there isn’t a knowledgeable leader. I have weekends off!

James Wells
James Wells

James Wells
James Wells
PostFri Apr 19, 2024 10:24 am 
Some buddies and I like doing off-trail summits, usually as single day trips, typically either off 542 (Baker) or North Cascades Highway but also Mountain Loop or near Stevens Pass (on the north side of Seattle anyway). Examples with TRs: Chardonnay Granite Hannnegan https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8037788 Damfino https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8037749 Usually we do non-technical routes with a scramble and bushwhack component. A typical day is: - Drive to TH the prior evening and TH camp (not always but pretty often, depends how far away from home) - Set out pretty early - 10-15 miles, +4,000 to +6,000 - Drive home in the evening Typical gear is: Crampons or microspikes, handline, stove to brew tea, sometimes ice axe, sometimes helmet. For navigation I use and really like the Gaia GPS App (there's a free version but the paid version is only $40 per year), real time topo works great and various map layers available. If that sounds like fun (you must enjoy a certain amount of Type II fun), please let me know.

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostFri Apr 19, 2024 5:38 pm 
Yes, coming from the San Juans, I can always find friends to hike locally, but off-island coordination is harder. I also like to mix in some off-trail, but don't want to mislead into thinking I'll be applying for the Fearless Leader position. :-) Still four or five people carefully route planning - and tapping into the treasure trove of reports on this site - could have a good time for most places. I totally agree Berdeen-level adventures, however, would be good to have someone with direct experience.