Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tarpiscan Perfection - Apr 16-17 2024
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Apr 18, 2024 8:55 am 
Hit the Trail, Steve, and I headed out from the spiffy trailhead at the Colockum Wildlife Office under blue and breezy conditions, following the old washed-out roadbed with minimal ups and downs. It was easy going where glorious views abound. We rounded the bend into the North Fork Tarpiscan canyon and at about 5 miles we dropped down to the creek near the site of the original Tarpiscan School. We set up a trio of Big Agnes tents in a grassy area for some serious chill time. Of course, Steve had to go check out other destinations up the valley for a couple hours. We enjoyed a cool evening and had a wonderful ramble out the next day. Not a snake nor tick to be seen! up.gif Thanks for the first overnight backpack of the season, guys! It was a good shakedown hike for gear and the body. shakehead.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)

Now I Fly, IanB, fourteen410, Alpine Pedestrian, hikerbiker, John Mac, dave allyn, KascadeFlat, Nancyann, jaysway, RichP, SeanSullivan86, sooperfly, flatsqwerl  Lindsay
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Apr 18, 2024 12:38 pm 
Very nice shakedown trip! Looks like nice timing for the lupine and balsamroot too. Most importantly of all, no ticks or rattlesnakes! That’s interesting that there used to be a school there, must have been a thriving community long ago. I remember the old schoolhouse at Chiwaukum Creek, too bad it burned down.

Get Out and Go
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostThu Apr 18, 2024 1:45 pm 
I see your trip reports from this area every year and always think that I need to put in on my list! Thanks for sharing. Looks like a good time with beautiful weather.

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

HitTheTrail, Get Out and Go
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Apr 19, 2024 10:10 am 
KascadeFlat wrote:
I see your trip reports from this area every year and always think that I need to put in on my list!
This is the forth year Steve and I have made this our spring shake down trip. Last year we got Wildernessed to join us and this year it was Get Out And Go. Now he is considering making it an annual event as part of his retirement plan. The upgraded TH next to the game headquarters is staffed year around, adding security to the area. You do need a state park Discovery Pass to park there. The road we hike up from the bottom will probably never be drivable again due to big washouts. But you can drive up the Colockum Pass road and access the area from the top and make it a car camping trip to explore all the interesting stuff up there. There is also a way to drive in from I90.
Get Out And Go above where we camped
Get Out And Go above where we camped

jaysway, Get Out and Go  KascadeFlat
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Apr 19, 2024 2:28 pm 
I love that area! Went there last month and things were just starting to turn green. I'll have to go back during bloom season. Great pics.

Get Out and Go
Lindsay

Lindsay
PostSun Apr 21, 2024 8:24 pm 
While reading Dow Edison's Passes to the North, History of Wenatchee Mountains I was surprised to see the photos and read mention of the various schools in the Colockum area. Then I looked at the 1920 USGS map and saw there were a fair number of schools and ranches out in these hills. For anyone curious about the bygone one-room school house days, I recommend Barb Owen's Making the Grade: Plucky Schoolmarms of Kittitas Country I'm seeing the Cape Horn and Brushy Creek area with new eyes thanks to her collection of teacher stories such as Elsie Hodgson Schnebly's "Sharpen up your six-shooter." Get Out and Go, I'm wondering if you or any of your Colockum compadres know some of the story pertaining to the farming equipment near the top of Cape Horn? Gabriel and I were just out in this area going from the Wind Farm down Rocky Coulee the up and over to West Bar and then back on the road network to Beacon Ridge. On this trip we went over Cape Horn via the old track that starts behind the old homesite foundation and corral, not far from the storage silos. The only way we could part with the Colockum was to make plans to visit again.

Get Out and Go
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Apr 22, 2024 5:51 am 
There was a book authored by Virginia Paul called 'Standing By The Side of Your Arm', about early pioneers in the Kittitas area. Among other things, it contains a lot of detailed information about all the teachers and students in the area schools. Below is the short write-up on the Tarpiscan school. The book had a limited publication and has been out of print for some time, but you may be able to find a copy through the publisher if they are still around. Most of the stuff near the top of Tarpiscan/Colockum pass is from the old Coffin brothers ranch.

Nancyann, hikerbiker  Lindsay
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostMon Apr 22, 2024 2:59 pm 
I'll leave this link here for any interested in hunting down a copy of the book. Shameless plug for Bookfinder.com, which has helped me track down many out of print and unusual books in the past. Including my copy of "Pilchuck, Life of a Mountain". smile.gif

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

Nancyann, Lindsay, HitTheTrail
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Apr 22, 2024 3:33 pm 
Thanks for the link. up.gif Other possibilities are book/souvenir shops inside local museums.

KascadeFlat