Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sweet Peak MRNP 100
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zeldathewelder

zeldathewelder
PostSun Mar 24, 2024 7:58 pm 
Solo scramble. Didn't have any idea what I'd encounter, so based on scrambling Pitcher last Sunday, I brought the "Kitchen Sink". I didn't need any of it. Just trekking poles and full shank boots, durable rain gear. Headed up the talus gully that is the traditional route, only to find not enough snow and lots of devil's club, not yet leafed out. Plus, scrambling tons of blow down.
I patiently picked my way up and over to get into the mature wood, making sure to stay on the edge of the gully for the easier slope to the saddle. I started finding wildlife trails. Using those was the best.
Once on the ridge, snow free, it was quick and easy to the peak, milled around for a few to take photos, listen to the quiet and watch the fog.
I did not want to go back through the nastiness of devil's club and blow down. I made a decision to follow the more open forest and the wildlife trails, working my way over and down to the northwest. It was truly beautiful! The way was less direct, but so enjoyable.
I popped back out on the Boundary Trail not too far up from where I'd left it a couple hours earlier.
On the way in on the Boundary Trail, the water crossing was a bit sketchy- slick, slick rock, just above a waterfall.
I had observed farther upstream better water crossings, even a log bridge. Returning to the car, I gave the log bridge crossing a go.
I ended up in quite the steep scramble down along the east side of the stream. Others had done this before me, and I think the risk/benefit ratio is 50-50, depending upon one's tolerance for slippery water crossings vs. steep duff descents. All in all, a wonderful day of quiet, lush green forest and the magic of paying close attention in motion.

​It's an exploration, rather than an expectation of you today- body, breath, emotion and thought.

rubywrangler, jsb, John Mac, RichP, Lightning_bug, reststep, Trailhead, awilsondc, Now I Fly
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostSun Mar 24, 2024 8:12 pm 
Sounds heavenly. smile.gif

zeldathewelder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message