Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Old logging and lumbering towns.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Feb 15, 2024 11:55 am 
Funny about Monahan when we first moved 1983 to Issaquah we lived in a shotgun shack next to Lake Samamish when the butter trains still ran. It came complete with a plumed and wired grow room in the crawl space and a rainbow mailbox. Yesterday we took a long walk on the trail and spoke to workmen who were installing concrete pads next to the trail. They said they were for informative signs along the trail about an old town that was once there. I asked if it was Monahan. They confirmed, I assume they will have the same photos as I have seen them before.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Mar 21, 2024 1:46 pm 
The thing that struck me when I was digging up a lot of this information was that these mills that I thought were around until the 1950's all shut down during the 1929 crash and never started up again. The mills that came back were the big ones - Weyerhaeuser, Simpson, etc. I grew up in rural Alderwood Manor and we were surrounded by vacant houses. A lot of them still had furniture, clothing in closets, books & records on shelves & I came to realize they were also abandoned in the Great Depression. People just walked away from them when the banks foreclosed on them & they left most of their belongings behind.

Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostSat May 04, 2024 2:20 pm 
Arden Harris was Robyn’s great great uncle I believe. This is in response to HTT’s posts about the Entiat

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon May 06, 2024 12:25 pm 
Lazyhiker wrote:
Arden Harris was Robyn’s great great uncle I believe. This is in response to HTT’s posts about the Entiat
I went all the way through grade school/high school with Suellen Harris. I think she may have been Arden's granddaughter.