Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hawaii (Big Island and Kauai), January 2024
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jaysway

jaysway
PostSat Feb 17, 2024 6:17 pm 
Last month, I was fortunate enough to spend just over a week in Hawaii split between the Big Island and Kauai. The primary purpose of the trip was to meet up on the Big Island for a few days with friends who moved to Australia. They were attending a wedding in Maui over weekend, so we had the week to spend with them. One of our friends had been a teacher on the Big Island for a couple of years, so she acted as our tour guide and it was fun getting to see the places that had been important to her. We didn't do as much hiking as we wanted due to a variety of factors, including weather: we had rain and poor visibility soon after arriving at Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park, and the summit of Mauna Kea was closed on the day we wanted to visit due to high winds (not even researchers were allowed up). Since COVID, access to certain areas are still restricted: the trail into Pololū Valley is now closed at the beach, and the road into Waipiʻo Valley is only open to local traffic. I enjoyed what I got to see on the Big Island, but I would love to go back to see the summits of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa, and do more hiking in the National Park. For our last few days, we flew to Kauai. First, we spent a night in the Poipu area, enjoying the beaches and snorkeling a couple of times (this is a great place for seeing sea turtles). On our second afternoon, we did a helicopter tour of the island which was absolutely incredible. We visited Kauai on a budget many years ago and couldn't make a helicopter ride happen despite hearing a lot about how great the tours are, so it felt good to go back and finally see the island from above. We ended our time on Kaui by backpacking the Kalalau Trail, spending one night at Kalalau Beach. We did witness a group of mostly young people being dropped off illegally by boat to the beach. After returning home, I read that these illegal dropoffs are common, although more often in the summer months when the surf is calmer. This was a great trip, although I would love to come back and spend multiple nights at Kalalau Beach. Kauai is hands down one of the most beautiful places that I have been fortunate enough to visit smile.gif. Funny story: we flew on an Alaska Airlines MAX9 the day after the door plug incident. Alaska inspected our plane and cleared it to fly, but within hours of landing we learned that the FAA had then decided to ground all of the MAX9s. Thankfully, this did not impact our flights home, but we noticed many other cancelled outgoing flights. Big Island
Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park
Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park
Mauna Kea
Mauna Kea
Snow near the summit!
Snow near the summit!
Near the visitor center for sunset
Near the visitor center for sunset
I feel like I'm in the Bend/Sisters area
I feel like I'm in the Bend/Sisters area
Pololū Valley
Pololū Valley
Waipiʻo Valley Lookout
Waipiʻo Valley Lookout
Waialea Beach
Waialea Beach
I love all of the volcanic rock on the Big Island
I love all of the volcanic rock on the Big Island
Kauai Poipu area
Makawehi Bluff
Makawehi Bluff
Helicopter tour
The beach on the left is where we camped the following night
The beach on the left is where we camped the following night
Hanalei Hanalei has to be one of the most beautiful places in the world. These views are either roadside, or are steps away from the beach parking lots.
Kalalau Trail, day one
Hanakāpī‘ai Beach
Hanakāpī‘ai Beach
The Gate
The Gate
Crawler's Ledge
Crawler's Ledge
Whales off the coast
Whales off the coast
Red Hill
Red Hill
Kalalau Beach, camping area
Kalalau Beach, camping area
An experiment with Lighroom's AI-driven Denoise
An experiment with Lighroom's AI-driven Denoise
Kalalau Trail, day two

Josh Journey, RAW-dad, Prosit, geyer, rubywrangler, GaliWalker, reststep, Nancyann, RichP, fourteen410, John Mac  Slim, KascadeFlat, Now I Fly, zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostSat Feb 17, 2024 10:28 pm 
Good stuff. I've been to the Big Island twice and Kauai once. Volcano is one of my favorite places in the world. Thanks for sharing the photos. I regret not climbing Loa the first time I went to Hawai'i. Do you know if the mountain is still closed above red cabin? I'd go back a third time for a shorter trip just to climb it...

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Feb 18, 2024 7:57 am 
I'm jealous you got to do the Kalalau trail! What a great place. I need to head back over there. Good looking trip! up.gif up.gif

Shred

Shred
PostSun Feb 18, 2024 2:49 pm 
My GF and I spent 10 days riding bikes around the big island early January. It was one of the neatest experiences of my life. So much so, that after a week of being home, we went back and rode around Maui and Lanai… now it looks like I need to go to Kauai! Thanks for the report and amazing photos. Looked like a great trip.👍 Here’s a long winded vid I hastily threw together of our bike trip. https://vimeo.com/905633420

jaysway, zimmertr  Josh Journey
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Feb 18, 2024 2:51 pm 
Exquisitely beautiful photos! I visited most of those places ten years ago, brings back many fond memories!

The Ghost of Bear 380
~SJ~

The Ghost of Bear 380
~SJ~
PostSun Feb 18, 2024 5:49 pm 
Those helicopter tour pics are incredible! Thanks for the great TR! up.gif

jaysway

jaysway
PostMon Feb 19, 2024 4:16 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
Good stuff. I've been to the Big Island twice and Kauai once. Volcano is one of my favorite places in the world. Thanks for sharing the photos. I regret not climbing Loa the first time I went to Hawai'i. Do you know if the mountain is still closed above red cabin? I'd go back a third time for a shorter trip just to climb it...
I really want to go back and spend more time in Volcano. I believe the trail is still closed above Red Cabin frown.gif.
awilsondc wrote:
I'm jealous you got to do the Kalalau trail! What a great place. I need to head back over there. Good looking trip! up.gif up.gif
The Kalalau is great, I highly recommend it!
Shred wrote:
My GF and I spent 10 days riding bikes around the big island early January. It was one of the neatest experiences of my life. So much so, that after a week of being home, we went back and rode around Maui and Lanai… now it looks like I need to go to Kauai! Thanks for the report and amazing photos. Looked like a great trip.👍 Here’s a long winded vid I hastily threw together of our bike trip. https://vimeo.com/905633420
That sounds like such a great trip! The Big Island seems like a great place to bike, and watching your video reminded me that I was surprised at how open a lot of the landscapes felt, which must have been great for biking. Parts of the island felt a bit like the English countryside, others like Iceland with the volcanic rock, and of course other parts felt lush like I had imagined.
Nancyann wrote:
Exquisitely beautiful photos! I visited most of those places ten years ago, brings back many fond memories!
Thank you!
The Ghost of Bear 380 wrote:
I am really happy we did it. I did research and chose a smaller operator, and we did a doors-off ride with just my partner and I with the pilot. It was mostly fun, and I quickly realized that I could mostly overcome my present but diminishing fear of heights by looking through my camera and focusing on taking pictures instead of thinking about how high above the ground we were.

zimmertr
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Feb 19, 2024 9:07 pm 
The Ghost of Bear 380 wrote:
Exactly what I was going to say!

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani