Forum Index > Trip Reports > Winter Solstice (well almost) Granite Ramble + West
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostThu Dec 21, 2023 9:33 pm 
Took advantage of yesterday's fine weather and NWAC's low avy forecast, for a ramble up a favorite local route.
The SW face of Granite has become a go to for me! When filled in properly, it's one of the longest snow climbs along the I-90 corridor. I knew it wouldn't be "filled in" for yesterday's trip, but I hoped it wouldn't too be annoying either. There were entrance fees to be paid, but well worth the price (at least I thought so!). Had to carefully working through the lower boulder fields. Low, to no, snow coverage. What was there was not weight bearing. Not easy, or without risk. But later rewards brought a smile to my face. Kicked steps with crampons, in firm stable snow, for the last thousand feet in a T-shirt! Woo flipp'n hooo!!!! agree.gif
Anyway, fun climb on one of my favorite mountains!
The ridge looked filled in OK,
so, I did the loop, tagging West Granite. I switched to snowshoes at the saddle. Would have been tough without them.
I took the basin route down through Elklandia (only to be done in highly stable conditions). Was a perfect way to end this adventure. one last shot of my line up Granite.
A few stats, Distance 7.5 miles +/- Elevation gain 4'500 ft +/- Elapsped time 8:26 minutes (never been fast, but I can chugg along for a long ways smile.gif ). Mountaineering boots, Crampons, Axe, Spikes and Snowshoes. Used them all. And a reminder, Don't do this route on anything but the most stable conditions. Your life may depend on it. And a parting message. Happy Holidays folks! Merry Christmas and Happy Solstice! Peace, Love, Hope and Strength to you and yours in the New Year! party.gif banana.gif chickenleg.gif rockband.gif Cheers B!

jaysway, RichP, some names, KascadeFlat, Kascadia, Bernardo, neek, thunderhead, BarbE, John Mac, awilsondc, jsb, Lightning_bug, zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostFri Dec 22, 2023 2:57 pm 
Looking forward to a 2024 full of Granite trips reports. smile.gif

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

jaysway, zimmertr, Now I Fly
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message