Forum Index > Pacific NW History > A Century Later
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Nov 20, 2023 12:53 pm 
I just came across this photo taken of Wilman Peak from Poodledog Pass by J. A. Bosser. I had a couple of my own from the same spot.
J. A. Bosser 1906
J. A. Bosser 1906
this is one of me in 1973
this is one of me in 1973
my son in 2006
my son in 2006

runup, GeoTom, Anne Elk, car68, Tom
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Nov 20, 2023 5:55 pm 
We were headed up toward Wilson’s spires on spring when the whole snowfield on the West spire released all at once and a guy came running down the route with eyes the size of dinner plates, we headed up mystery ridge after that got some nice ore samples where the towers were.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu Nov 30, 2023 4:37 pm 
I was just looking through some comparison shots for our Europe trips and historical photos so at the risk of breaking the "NW" part of this forum category I will post a few with over a century span of the Furka Pass/Rhone Glacier area as seen from Gletsch (Switzerland):
Circa 1900 (public domain)
Circa 1900 (public domain)
1987 (1st time we visited)
1987 (1st time we visited)
2018 (last time we visited)
2018 (last time we visited)
In 1987 we stopped at a switchback near the Belvedere Hotel (2/3 up the pass) and walked out to touch the glacier. I found one image from about 1860 that showed the glacier almost reaching Gletsch. I found it remarkable how little changed over the years except for the glacier.

Sculpin  Tom  hikerbiker
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostSun Dec 10, 2023 2:42 pm 
Just to add a little more info that I just learned here is a photo of the 1818 church behind where I took the 2018 photo and a snippet of info from a similar photo I found. If you look carefully you can see the church spire above the hotel in the "circa 1900" photo.
Gletsch Church "Tucked away at the mid point of the Furka Pass is the delightful little settlement of Gletsch. The church dates back to 1818 and was built by a dam wall that marked the limit of the Rhone Glacier. The glacier has now retreated all the way back to the col that can be seen towards the top left of this image. It is quite startling to think that over the last two hundred years a Glacier would have covered much of this scene."

Anne Elk