Forum Index > Trail Talk > Cougar attack in mountain biking area north of the City of Snoqualmie 2-17-24
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Apr 03, 2024 5:11 am 
So far I been lucky only having 2 too close for comfort run ins with cougar. Hopefully 3rd time is not a charm.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Logbear

Logbear
PostWed Apr 03, 2024 10:14 am 
domaz wrote:
James Tiberius Kirk wrote:
Your odds of winning the MegaMillions lottery are better than being attacked by a cougar.
No, if you are a hiker your odds of being attacked by an animal are way higher than winning the MegaMillions sorry.
From the Mountain Lion Foundation. The historical average odds of any one individual being fatally attacked by a mountain lion in the United States is about one in a billion, or three times LESS likely than that same individual getting the winning numbers in tonight's Powerball Lottery

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
domaz

domaz
PostWed Apr 03, 2024 10:37 am 
Any one individual? Right because only about 10% of the population ever puts themselves in a place where it could happen.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Apr 03, 2024 11:23 am 
domaz wrote:
Any one individual? Right because only about 10% of the population ever puts themselves in a place where it could happen.
If you want to compare Apples to Apples... You would also need to consider what percentage of the population buys lottery tickets -- I figure the percentage of people that are "regular lottery players" isn't substantially different than the percentage of people that are "regular hikers". Sure there are people that play powerball once in a while when the jackpot reaches incredible amounts -- just as there are people that hike on their annual vacation. But the percentage of the population that hikes more than a dozen times per year and the percentage of people that play lottery more than a dozen times a year I think isn't very different. Prove me wrong.

Skookum Bill
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Apr 03, 2024 12:10 pm 
You guys need to go outside. It's sunny!

solohiker  idoru
Logbear

Logbear
PostWed Apr 03, 2024 12:17 pm 
Detailed Calculation Of The Odds Of Death From A Mountain Lion Attack On A Person Bottom Line: You expect on average to be killed by a car at the very minimum 320 times before you expect to be killed by a mountain lion. So you really shouldn't start worrying about a mountain lion killing you until at least 160 of your hiking companions have been killed by automobiles. https://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attack_odds.html

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Route Loser

Route Loser
PostWed Apr 03, 2024 7:26 pm 
I tried going outside, but I got attacked by a darn lion. What are my odds of a second attack in a typical hiker lifespan? I'm thinking luck is with me if I want to start playing the lottery. I always feel fortunate to have rare wildlife encounters. I tell you what: cougars don't really hold a candle to the fear ignited by attacks of cabezon, cone shells, and coco de mer. Not to mention those little damselfish that will bite you in the arse if you encroach on their anemone. I'm starting to worry about those killer marmots in Roush Basin, too.

Chief Joseph