Forum Index > Trail Talk > Cougar attack in mountain biking area north of the City of Snoqualmie 2-17-24
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Mar 15, 2024 12:59 pm 
Even more details, good article. Serious fight with that cat.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Mar 27, 2024 5:16 am 
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 27, 2024 10:46 am 
"Statistics from the agency show attacks on humans are rare, occurring perhaps once or twice per year. In many years since the 1980s, there have been no confirmed attacks." Yea, sure, kind of like the "100 year flood" event that is happening about every 5 years.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

Anne Elk
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Mar 27, 2024 10:48 am 
Many times with the media we have hyperbole and minimization and the truth falls somewhere in between.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Mar 27, 2024 12:23 pm 
I'm thinkin' maybe the cougars finally decided they've had enough and they're not going to take it any more. Can't blame 'em, really.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

Roly Poly, Chief Joseph  Anne Elk
reststep

reststep
PostWed Mar 27, 2024 2:49 pm 
Maybe I shouldn’t hike at night anymore.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir

Anne Elk
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Mar 28, 2024 10:58 am 
Looking at fatality stats and making some assumptions about usage times i estimate the average WA state outdoor recreationist has a risk of 1 fatal attack by cougars every 1 to 5 billion hiking hours. The sample size of cougar attacks is so small this number is only of medium confidence. Driving has more robust stats and the math is thus most precise: your driving fatality risk is about 1 death every 2.5 million driving hours. You should be 1000 times as concerned by other drivers as you are of cougars. Please dont share these stats on WHC... we want to scare off as many people as possible smile.gif

RichP, Cyclopath  Tom, Anne Elk, idoru
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 am 
thunderhead wrote:
You should be 1000 times as concerned by other drivers as you are of cougars.
100x multiplier when they're in a pickup truck though. 10x more of is a Toyota.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Mar 30, 2024 12:28 pm 
The cougar attacks that I've read about -- a common thread I've observed is that the attacking cat tends to be a "teenager" and a bit underweight. My supposition is that that cats that haven't had good success feeding on deer and other wildlife give humans a shot when they are desperately hungry after some time after separting from their mother. I don't know whether bear spray would have been effective in getting the cat to release it's hold on the woman that was attacked. The woman was fortunate to have a team of people brave enough to defend her and keep at it when initial attempts were ineffective. What a horrific experience. Statistics aren't all that helpful in changing the emotions people experience -- but as a comparison 30-50 people per year are killed by dogs in the USA vs < 1 fatal attack per year from cougars. Also around 6000-13,000 people per year are attacked by dogs severely enough to require hospitalization in the USA. Around 20,000 people are murdered each year in the USA another 700,000 people in the USA are victims of aggravated assault per year. So it the other humans that your really need to watch out for...

Route Loser

Route Loser
PostSat Mar 30, 2024 1:22 pm 
My takeaway from talking to the bored fish cops at WDFW Enforcement is that it would be crazy to go outside without a gun. Since I don't carry, their next best advice would be to lethally remove the attacking vertebrate (feline, canine, or primate)... with my knife! I'm working on my tactical knife skills, but I'm wondering how effective it will be against invertebrates, protists, and bacteria. I was going to get a bigger dog, but now Randito has me worried about that, too.

FiveNines, Sculpin
James Tiberius Kirk

James Tiberius Kirk
PostSat Mar 30, 2024 3:18 pm 
^ come on, man. I've been on trails for a long, long, long time and have yet to run into anything where I thought I might have need of a firearm, and that includes some pretty jacked-up lunatics who were threatening to kill me. Your odds of winning the MegaMillions lottery are better than being attacked by a cougar. I had Spock run the calculations for me. Yours truly, Captain Kirk

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Mar 30, 2024 5:24 pm 
Route Loser wrote:
My takeaway from talking to the bored fish cops at WDFW Enforcement is that it would be crazy to go outside without a gun.
Something I always have noted is that people involved in a certain profession often have an exaggerated conception of certain dangers. Not always, but often this is true. For example, I know several EMTs, nurses, and doctors who take really oversized FAKs. I'm talking three-plus pounds of FAK with a couple of them. So it doesn't surprise me that WDFW Enforcement types would suggest it is crazy to go outside without carrying a firearm. To carry a firearm for protection against a cougar attack, one would need to be REALLY proficient with it; I'm talking Dirty Harry proficient. A much better option would be bear spray, which is much easier to use and be proficient with it's use. The time and cost differential between proficiency firearm use and bear spray deployment is not even close. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Mar 30, 2024 8:39 pm 
Route Loser wrote:
that it would be crazy to go outside without a gun.
The tricky part of owning a firearm for self-protection is that 1) Being effective requires training and regular practice. 2) 75% of all firearm fatalities in Washington State are self-inflicted. So I posit that the potential gain in protection from being armed may well be less than the risk of self-arm. I also know from the experiences of a co-worker that having a concealed carry permit warped his thinking and resulted in more aggressive and ass#### behavior on his part and which resulted in a road rage incident, his arrest and many thousands of dollars in attorney's fees and the loss of his concealed weapons permit.

Secret Agent Man
domaz

domaz
PostTue Apr 02, 2024 12:04 pm 
James Tiberius Kirk wrote:
Your odds of winning the MegaMillions lottery are better than being attacked by a cougar.
No, if you are a hiker your odds of being attacked by an animal are way higher than winning the MegaMillions sorry.

solohiker

solohiker
PostTue Apr 02, 2024 10:58 pm 
Especially true if you are a hiker that never buys lottery tickets! 🤪

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone

uww