Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Oct 10, 2023 10:28 am 
crock wrote:
the structural design integrity of a bridge should be decided by democracy, not civil engineers.
Well, that really is a crock. lol.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 11, 2023 12:22 am 
Thanks very much for your feedback, Dave. I've taken it under consideration for the last few weeks, and I have to concede that you are indeed correct. Numbers and statistics and all that notwithstanding - stuff which a couple members here seem to have a fondness for posting - the reality on the ground tells a much different story. Pretty clear that CNW and CFBD have their heads firmly implanted in their asses on this one.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Logbear

Logbear
PostWed Oct 11, 2023 12:44 pm 
Ski wrote:
Pretty clear that CNW and CFBD have their heads firmly implanted in their asses on this one.
This is what Conservation Northwest says about hunting:
Quote:
Our wild public lands also offer cherished places to hike, camp, climb, ski, wildlife watch, fish, hunt and otherwise enjoy the Pacific Northwest’s rich natural heritage.
Maybe they say something else about hunting, but I haven't found it yet. Maybe you could show me how they "have their heads firmly implanted in their asses on this one" And what is "CFBD". I can't come up with anything.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 11, 2023 9:10 pm 
Center for Biological Diversity
Logbear wrote:
This is what Conservation Northwest says about hunting:
Conservation Northwest says all kinds of things. So?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Logbear

Logbear
PostWed Oct 11, 2023 11:49 pm 
W.ell, after reading this...
Ski wrote:
Pretty clear that CNW and CFBD have their heads firmly implanted in their asses on this one.
I could only find one statement CNW made in regards to hunting or maybe "sport hunting". So I asked you why you would say...
Ski wrote:
It's not clear to me. Oh and thank you for clearing up the CFBD thing for me. I've always seen it referred to as CBD.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes
timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Oct 12, 2023 5:44 am 
Mitch Freedman Director for CNW is a "alleged" reformed ecoterrorist

Logbear

Logbear
PostThu Oct 12, 2023 10:52 am 
I don't see how a personal attack on Mitch Friedman explains how it's...
Quote:
I look at these groups whenever they're mentioned on this forum. I suggest that anyone interested go to these group's websites and read for yourself. https://conservationnw.org/ https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 12, 2023 11:40 am 
^ as with any other "environmental" activist group, their websites will tell you what they believe you want to hear. I prefer to get my news from news sources, and trust more the reports from real journalists who write articles for the Seattle Times, Tacoma News Tribune, Sacramento Bee, etc. If I want to read sales pitches, there are all kinds of options out there. In that respect, I'd much prefer to read sales pitches about Tekton's newest "small body" 3/8" drive ratchet or things where I know that I'm still dealing with the real world, and not fantasy stuff.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 12, 2023 11:46 am 
... and I'm sorry, but respectfully, after the way Mitchel Friedman spoke to me on the telephone one morning in the early 1990s (regarding the sea lion trap at the Ballard Locks) I have less than zero respect for the man (if that's numerically possible.) NOBODY talks to me like that in the real world. Not in person, anyway.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostThu Oct 12, 2023 12:42 pm 
It's quite obvious you have no idea of Freedman/CNW and his antics. A guy with a background like that doesn't just change all the sudden become a law abiding citizen, guaranteed. A website like that that can put anything they want on their website in order to blow smoke up your rear in order to get donations and any actions are justifiable according to them.

Logbear

Logbear
PostThu Oct 12, 2023 4:20 pm 
At the risk of offending someone, I'm going to have to ask my question again. And when I ask a question, it's because I don't know the answer. SkyHiker said that pretty well when he said this.
Quote:
It's quite obvious you have no idea of Freedman/CNW and his antics
I assume SkyHiker meant that statement as an attack to show how ignorant I am, but it actually affirms why I'm asking the question. Here's the question: What makes it "Pretty clear that CNW and CFBD have their heads firmly implanted in their asses on this one". And at the risk of further offending someone, I really don't need to hear about a personal grudge, or where I should get my news.

Logbear

Logbear
PostThu Oct 12, 2023 4:32 pm 
Now I find that Mitch Friedman has been collaborating with ranchers, loggers, and hound hunters. I'm really not happy that he collaborated with hound hunters.
Quote:
The former radical environmentalist's recent run of wildlife-habitat successes were mostly created by some degree of quiet collaboration with traditional environmental foes such as federal land managers, ranchers, loggers and hound hunters.

Logbear

Logbear
PostThu Oct 12, 2023 4:43 pm 
Mitch Friedman: https://www.seattletimes.com/author/mitch-friedman/ After looking at a "real" news source, I feel much more informed now. He even wrote "op-ed's". Now that's radical!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 12, 2023 5:08 pm 
Logbear wrote:
What makes it "Pretty clear that CNW and CFBD have their heads firmly implanted in their asses on this one".
I understand, appreciate, and respect that you and I may have different opinions regarding this issue. I understand, appreciate, and respect that you have no intention of "changing your mind", and I hope you will afford me the same courtesy. Your question was answered above by Mr. Workman:
Dave Workman wrote:
Voter initiative is a LOUSY way to manage wildlife. Period. End of story. You cannot manage by emotion. And that is precisely what voter initiatives on wildlife issues do.
Respectfully, I have a much higher regard for the opinions and conclusions stated by wildlife biologists from WDFW than any of the palaver posted on Conservation Northwest's or Center for Biological Diversity's websites. And... Dave is correct when you more carefully examine the issue in a more comprehensive manner. (Don't myopically only look at bears, or cougars, or deer, but all game animals collectively.) You may not agree - that's okay - but he's still right.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Oct 12, 2023 5:18 pm 
IN OTHER NEWS: (* this isn't WDFW but it's so ridiculous I'm not sure it warrants its own thread *) From: McGee-Ballinger, Maureen Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2023 4:48 PM To: Undisclosed recipients: Subject: News Release Bison Capture at Theodore Roosevelt National Park Theodore Roosevelt National Park News Release Release Date: October 12, 2023 Bison capture to begin at Theodore Roosevelt National Park MEDORA, N.D. – A bison capture is scheduled to begin October 14 and continue through the week at the South Unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park. For safety reasons, this operation will be closed to the public. The park plans to reduce the current population of approximately 700 bison to 400 by removing animals in multiple age classes. A helicopter will be used to herd bison into a holding area. The flight crew will conduct an initial survey of the landscape and population count prior to beginning the gather. The last bison capture in the South Unit was in 2021. Bison that are removed from the park will be offered to Tribes through the InterTribal Buffalo Council (ITBC). The ITBC is a federally recognized Tribal organization that delivers live bison to member Tribes, supports establishment of Tribal bison herds, and supports the historical, cultural, traditional, and spiritual relationship of Tribes and bison. Bison bulls can weigh up to 2,000 pounds and stand six feet or more at the shoulder. Bison cows are smaller, weighing up to 1,100 pounds and stand four to five feet at the shoulder. Both bulls and cows have horns. Bison are herbivores or plant eaters, and feed primarily on grasses. They are often seen in or near prairie dog towns where they find new grass shoots. Because bison are constrained to park lands by perimeter fence, periodic captures are necessary to maintain appropriate numbers relevant to available resources. Additional information about bison and Theodore Roosevelt National Park can be found on the park website www.nps.gov/thro. -NPS- ================= This is the very same National Park in North Dakota that is struggling over a solution to their "wild horse" population. Next person on this website who makes any statements about "mismanagement" of Mt. Rainier National Park, I got four words for you: "Theodore Roosevelt National Park"