Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Environmental impact of popular hiking equipment
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
George Winters

George Winters
PostMon Jul 05, 2010 10:39 am 
This article from the Scotland Herald may be of interest to some:Outdoor Gear Is Environmentally Toxic, Finds Report

When you are "miles from nowhere" you must have finally arrived at somewhere.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostMon Jul 05, 2010 11:53 am 
What we really need is a biodegradable tent clown.gif Anyone who is shocked by these results is an idiot. The computer we are viewing this website on is likely made from toxic chemicals & plastic, the desk it sits on is likely MDF, etc. etc.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Jul 05, 2010 1:22 pm 
Indeed. The more one digs, the more trouble one can find in the things we do and buy as we go about our daily lives. It's unrealistic for most of us to eliminate ALL negative impacts on the environment. I think it's important to try to find some perspective on which consumer choices are really causing the most impact. Here's one resource that provides a summary of where our choices tend to cause the most impact, based on cradle-to-grave analysis of our consumer choices. For those who would prefer a reader's digest style summary:
Quote:
PRIORITY ACTIONS FOR AMERICAN CONSUMERS: Transportation: Choose a place to live that reduces the need to drive. Think twice before purchasing another car. Choose a fuel efficient, low polluting car. Set concrete goals for reducing your travel. Whenever practical, walk, bicycle, or take public transportation. Food: Eat less meat. Buy certified organic produce. Household Operations: Choose your home carefully. Reduce the environmental costs of heating and hot water. Install efficient lighting and appliances. Choose an electricity supplier offering renewable energy.
It turns out that other choices, such as what we use to clean our showers and toilets, what sort of clothing we wear, and so forth, all pale in comparison to these choices in terms of net impact on the environment. The research behind this list was undertaken in response to the various and usually overwhelming lists along the lines of 100 ways to save the environment, lists that have a tendency to lack any sense of prioritization or perspective, and that also tend to push most people into something akin to compassion fatigue, leading them to make no meaningful changes in their personal environmental impacts. IMO, better to keep it simple and encourage folks to take a few truly impactful steps than overwhelm them with a zillion fly-bite style suggestions and concerns. Oh, and other than the "certified organic produce" suggestion, this short list of advice tends to lead to a less expensive lifestyle as well!

Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostMon Jul 05, 2010 2:54 pm 
Joker I call bullsh!t on most of that quote. From everything I've read most organic food is a big scam and even the legit stuff has really shaky science behind it. I agree that it tastes better and we certainly could improve some of our farming methods but suggesting that everyone switch to only locally grown in season harvesting is not practical and it sure as hell isn't sustainable for a global population. What's the big deal about two cars? We have our high clearance one for our hiking trip and a more fuel efficient vehicle for driving around town. Unless of course they want to nitpick about the cost to make a car but then I'd be just using my less efficient all purpose car twice as much. If the whole point is that traveling from point A to point be in a car is evil then why don't I just kill myself now. These are not solutions its just some ivory tower @sshole telling everyone else how they should live and it only hurts the bigger cause.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
JimK

JimK
PostMon Jul 05, 2010 6:59 pm 
The best long term answer might be purchasing more Edible Gear.

Hungry Grizzley

Hungry Grizzley
PostMon Jul 05, 2010 7:20 pm 
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM...Sounds like a great idea! hungry.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jul 05, 2010 7:36 pm 
Naked hiking with NO gear is the answer! Well, for all you eco weirdo's that is. Otherwise Ill just plod along with the stuff I already have. hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jul 05, 2010 7:58 pm 
We could all go back to cotton, wool & leather. We could waterproof our cotton canvas with natural oils for our outer shell, like my grandparents used to do back on the sailing ships in Norway. My wool sleeping bag used to be kind of heavy though. doh.gif It seems the author of the article recently realized that synthetic fabrics were derived from petroleum based chemicals.

Pass the ketchup...

Pass the ketchup...
PostMon Jul 05, 2010 8:05 pm 
...I need my vegetables
Edible gear sounds good. The trouble with cotton is that it kills and is even more heinous than the fumbling travails of man. Wool is good, but now, though the hiker is warm, the sheep is cold. It is a win-lose situation.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Jul 05, 2010 8:55 pm 
Davidą wrote:
Joker I call bullsh!t on most of that quote. From everything I've read most organic food is a big scam and even the legit stuff has really shaky science behind it. I agree that it tastes better and we certainly could improve some of our farming methods but suggesting that everyone switch to only locally grown in season harvesting is not practical and it sure as hell isn't sustainable for a global population. What's the big deal about two cars? We have our high clearance one for our hiking trip and a more fuel efficient vehicle for driving around town. Unless of course they want to nitpick about the cost to make a car but then I'd be just using my less efficient all purpose car twice as much. If the whole point is that traveling from point A to point be in a car is evil then why don't I just kill myself now. These are not solutions its just some ivory tower @sshole telling everyone else how they should live and it only hurts the bigger cause.
Well, they're not saying "thou shalt." That's the problem with a brief quote, reader's digest style. It can be taken the wrong way. The point of prioritizing is to give you a sense of which decisions have the most environmental impact. So, say, you can think about whether using comet in your bathtub or buying a goretex coat is going to have a significant environmental impact compared to other decisions. If you don't believe the take on organics, read up on the impacts of other forms of farming (I bet you can get the book from your local library), and particularly of the impacts of meat production. Are you saying that the science behind the impact of pesticides and herbicides and antibiotics (the latter for meat production) is shaky? I wholeheartedly agree, as hinted at with my mention of cost in the post above, that buying organics is not a practical choice for many. The "buy local food" was your addition to the thread. As for the car thing, my memory from reading the book, admittedly a while back, is that this is more about replacing cars frequently, since manufacturing a car is a reasonably high-impact activity, and the frequent cycling through cars apparently ends up increasing the rate at which cars end up in the junkyard, despite the used market. If a single person owned two cars, but drove them sparingly and drove them both into the ground at a ripe old high-mileage age, that would be a very different story. They never said stop all driving, but whether you like to hear it or not, it is one of our highest-impact activities. Seriously, read the book before you call the authors, or me, an ivory tower a$$hole. And note that my point is simply that the delta in impact of buying outdoor gear or not is quite small compared, say, to whether one drives long or far for the daily commute. Or we could just give people some feel-good easy ways to lower their impact, but I call BS on that.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Jul 05, 2010 10:58 pm 
Cotton may be a natural fiber....but is traditionally pesticides are heavily used in growing it. There are all kinds of bugs that attack it. So it's still not the most environmentally friendly crop.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
veronika

veronika
PostMon Jul 05, 2010 11:12 pm 
JimK wrote:
Has anyone actually tried this? And trekking poles? What next?

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostMon Jul 05, 2010 11:24 pm 
HiT wrote:
JimK wrote:
Has anyone actually tried this? And trekking poles? What next?
Better make sure you hang your trousers 200 feet down wind of camp. Don't want to have a Bear wander through camp looking to dine on your edible britches while your sleeping in them. eek.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jul 06, 2010 5:19 am 
Schroder wrote:
We could all go back to cotton, wool & leather. We could waterproof our cotton canvas with natural oils for our outer shell, like my grandparents used to do back on the sailing ships in Norway. My wool sleeping bag used to be kind of heavy though. doh.gif It seems the author of the article recently realized that synthetic fabrics were derived from petroleum based chemicals.
I like my tin pants for winter rainy season wear. That would be Filson oiled cotto pants. I was still alive last time I checked. eek.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostTue Jul 06, 2010 8:18 am 
Let me clarify an earlier point. You will see a lot of right wing screeds about how the Global Warming/Environmental movement is like a religion and the usually refer to Al Gore as the Goracle and make fun of his huge mansion, his jet setting lifestyle and his ridiculous carbon credits. We have our own version of this guy in Canada - David Suzuki - a fruit fly geneticist and former TV personality. While I usually don't agree with these attack the messenger arguments they have a point with this one. Whenever someone tells me I have to change my lifestyle and I have to live without I usually respond "You First" It's easy for someone who is already a millionaire to adapt all these 'planet saving' changes but for those of us still working & trying to get by in life its another story. I live in a small townhouse in the suburbs because I can't afford David Suzuki's million dollar mansion in the city. I commuted (when I had a job) because I couldn't afford to sit on my big pile of TV money I made in the 70's & 80's. You have enough frequent flier miles to go to the moon & back for free and yet you are telling me I have to cut back on my (very limited) travel. I'll get into food into more detail in a subsequent post but I can't afford to buy premium foodstuffs at Whole Foods. Furthermore a lot of their ideas contradict themselves and don't make any sense. Buying a car is bad for the environment - really? Then what was cash for clunkers all about? (we have a similar program up here). Wasn't that based on the premise that in order to save the environment we had to take all these old less efficient vehicles off the road? I grew up in a car town (just outside of Detroit) I can tell you with confidence that every car is driven into the ground by someone - even then it is stripped for parts & the metal recycled. The idea that we are just tossing perfectly good cars into a landfill just so we can buy newer ones is ludicrous and it calls into question everything that's said.