Forum Index > Trail Talk > Cougar attack in mountain biking area north of the City of Snoqualmie 2-17-24
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostTue Feb 20, 2024 9:49 pm 
Last week there was a cougar attack on a hiker in Banff (Rockbound trailhead). It jumped out of a tree onto a solo hiker. Fortunately, he was able to fight it off and his only injuries were from being knocked to the ground and falling down a hill. The cougar wasn't located and the area is now closed. I was on a hike just a few miles down the road at the time. You can bet I spent the rest of my hiking vacation looking up in the trees... We were carrying bear spray but honestly, I doubt that it could be deployed in a cougar attack as they tend to attack stealthily and from behind. Personally, I think being acutely aware of sights and sounds is an extremely important aspect of defensiveness and it's much harder to do that when you're biking, traveling with others or using ipods. Fortunately, so far, the facts say that it's still a very rare occurrence. Time will tell if that remains the case.

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"

RichP  Snowdog
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Feb 20, 2024 10:37 pm 
I eat oranges when I hike in cougar country.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed Feb 21, 2024 8:44 am 
Brucester wrote:
No weapons in permitted areas? Baseball sized rocks!
Not sure where this came from, but there's no prohibition I'm aware of regarding "weapons." It's legal to carry a firearm in the forest. ADDENDUM: Under RCW 9.41.060 (8) "Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;" Translation: If engaged in a legitimate outdoor activity, it's legal to carry a sidearm concealed. Last time I checked, mountain biking, hiking, etc are all "lawful outdoor activities." wink.gif

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence

Joseph, Waterman
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed Feb 21, 2024 8:47 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I don't agree with killing animals that are just doing what they do in THEIR territory that WE are infringing upon. down.gif
rolleyes.gif Well, how do you feel about killing an animal that just tried to kill you or a companion?

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed Feb 21, 2024 8:51 am 
Exmoor wrote:
I'm a trail runner and I've never heard of runners being attacked.
Scott Lancaster, 18 January 14, 1991 Killed and eaten while jogging a familiar route on a hill above Clear Creek High School in Idaho Springs, Colorado. Barbara Barsalou Schoener, 40 April 23, 1994 Long distance runner and Placerville resident was attacked and killed while jogging on the American River Canyon Trail in California's Auburn State Recreation Area. (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_cougar_attacks_in_North_America)

NorthwestWanderer
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed Feb 21, 2024 10:08 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
In the Olympics I have seen sign and heard Cougars scream many times. As a teenager I walked up to a lake and saw nothing but on the way back there were tracks over my tracks. Those suckas are elusive.
Yeah, and they get hungry, too! winksmile.gif I've seen cougars a few times in the woods, and I've seen their tracks on a number of occasions, fresh. One of the reasons I always carry a sidearm. I don't feel like food. wink.gif

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Feb 21, 2024 11:33 am 
Dave Workman wrote:
I've seen cougars a few times in the woods, and I've seen their tracks on a number of occasions, fresh. One of the reasons I always carry a sidearm. I don't feel like food.
Give a kid a hammer and everything he sees looks like a nail. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Tom, treeswarper, snowmonkey, Kascadia
Brucester

Brucester
PostWed Feb 21, 2024 12:01 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Give a kid a hammer and everything he sees looks like a nail.
Give a kid a keyboard....

Joseph  fourteen410, zimmertr, Dave Workman
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed Feb 21, 2024 12:16 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Give a kid a hammer and everything he sees looks like a nail.
Only if they have bad eyesight. Mine is still pretty good. BTW, the 911 tape has been released. As reported by KOMO, this is what one of the woman's companions told the call receiver: “We need a helicopter on location and we need someone with a gun to kill the cougar. We are right now we have a bicycle on top of the cougar and he's fighting back.” Nobody asked for a kid with a hammer. moon.gif winksmile.gif

Joseph, ChinookPass
altasnob

altasnob
PostWed Feb 21, 2024 1:00 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
Scott Lancaster, 18 January 14, 1991 Killed and eaten while jogging a familiar route on a hill above Clear Creek High School in Idaho Springs, Colorado. Barbara Barsalou Schoener, 40 April 23, 1994 Long distance runner and Placerville resident was attacked and killed while jogging on the American River Canyon Trail in California's Auburn State Recreation Area.
Both attacks just on the outskirts of massive sprawling metro regions. Same with the attacks in Fall City and North Bend, WA. Funny how when humans sprawl their civilization out into the woods you see an increase in cougar attacks.

Dave Workman
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Feb 21, 2024 1:16 pm 
Here is the account told on a Go Fund Me Page. https://www.gofundme.com/f/keris-ride-to-recovery?utm_campaign=p_cp+share-sheet&utm_content=facebook_cta_control&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Dave Workman
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed Feb 21, 2024 1:22 pm 
altasnob wrote:
Both attacks just on the outskirts of massive sprawling metro regions. Same with the attacks in Fall City and North Bend, WA. Funny how when humans sprawl their civilization out into the woods you see an increase in cougar attacks.
Yeah, well I've tried to explain this to people, especially those who "ain't from around here," for several years that this is still a state with a whole lot of potential for excitement soon as you're off the pavement. I used to be astonished at some of the bliss-ignorant people (mostly transplants from elsewhere) I'd run into somewhere on, or even off, the trail a couple of miles back in the "help is not coming promptly" regions. My eyes rolled so many times, it gave me a headache. biggrin.gif I have no idea where the unfortunate lady who was the intended meal hails from. Very sorry for her injuries, but on the plus side, she is still with us. up.gif I think holding the cat down with a mountain bike is one of the gutsiest moves I ever heard of, with the potential of turning really nasty if the cougar had gotten loose. By that time, the animal was certainly pissed off.

ChinookPass
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Feb 21, 2024 2:02 pm 
It was Wimmin folk who held the cat down. So,is it just a fluke that I worked daily in the woods and never had a bad wildlife run in? There were two almosts with bears, but the bears took off when things looked to be getting a bit more serious. I almost stepped on an elk in thick brush, she took off one way, I took off the other. We were both startled. I have been attacked by a grouse or two and stung by bees (bees is a generic word). On one winter day, I followed my tracks back to the truck and saw big kitty tracks on top of my old tracks. Another time, seeing fresh bear poop and freshly girdled saplings, I changed my work plan. Had another grouse fall in love with my pickup and chase it down the road. Saw wolves in Wisconsin but they were usually on the run although one logger was watched and stalked one day enough to put his dog in the cab of the processor with him. I do support hunting. It usually keeps critters afraid of people.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities

Dave Workman
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Feb 21, 2024 2:03 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
I don't agree with killing animals that are just doing what they do in THEIR territory that WE are infringing upon. down.gif
rolleyes.gif Well, how do you feel about killing an animal that just tried to kill you or a companion?
They should have just let the cougar go, it would have ran away and then had a healthy fear of humans. How about the fact that they kill a mother bear that is trying to defend their cubs? Sure I agree if you are trying to protect yourself, but after the fact there is no point. Just because a bear is protecting and acting upon instinct doesn't mean that it will be a threat going forward. As I said I don't agree with killing animals when they are just doing what they do in THEIR environment. What makes humans so damn special? Animals attack and sometimes kill people because they are in their territory, and we do the same to them, turnabout is fair play. Everyone has their own opinion, some like killing things, I do not and will do all I can to avoid doing so.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

Gwen, snowmonkey
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Feb 21, 2024 2:09 pm 
Also, when I think of "everybody" packing in the woods, it scares me. I've had a couple of run ins with unsafe shooters while working. There's nothing like coming around a corner to see a target set up and folks getting ready to shoot in your direction --No backstop. Then there's the Walupt Lake East Lewis County shooting.

RumiDude