Forum Index > Trip Reports > Turret (Olympics) - 4/13/24
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Apr 14, 2024 8:41 pm 
Turret has intrigued me ever since I saw a trip report on it a few years ago. As the weekend approached with a stellar weather forecast, my mind began to wander with possibilities for a day hike on Saturday, and Turret was towards the top of the list. As fate would have it I got an invite for a Turret summit from Ozzy and Bryan on Friday night. My schedule was free so I eagerly accepted the invite! We met at the fully melted out Upper Big Quilcene Trailhead around 4:30 in the morning, and by 4:45 we were on the trail. The first three miles of the trail were pretty easy. The nice gentle grade of the trail was a good way to warm up, and the miles went easy. There was no snow for quite awhile, barely even a patch, until abruptly around 3700 ft the trail became under thick continuous snow. A short while later, when the trail begins to gain elevation around 3800 ft, we stopped for our first break. After the break we put on gaiters and snowshoes and took off into the brush. The brush was mild and a non issue. We crossed the creek on a log (many opportunities, easy to cross) and headed southwest along the south edge of the creek. We had to navigate around and cross many logs as we hiked a mile up the river, but it wasn't that bad. Soon we began to gain elevation as we hiked up the ridge NW of Turret. Almost as soon as we started uphill the snow coverage became thin to nonexistent, so we stopped to take our snowshoes off. We made a rising traverse along the ridge for around 700 vertical feet until we neared a broad gully. Views back towards Buckhorn were looking good and Minaret soaked up the sun as it slowly became bathed in light. It was a bluebird day, we were in the high country, and stoke was high! What a beautiful morning to be alive! As we emerged into the gully the snow got deeper so we stopped to put our snowshoes back on before we started up the broad gully.
Big Quilcene River
Big Quilcene River
First light on Minaret
First light on Minaret
Minaret
Minaret
Broad Gully, Buckhorn behind
Broad Gully, Buckhorn behind
Steep gully
Steep gully
Looking down steep gully
Looking down steep gully
The snow had a mostly supportive frozen crust which made travel easy. That is, until we had to traverse over a ridge to the right (southwest) which sucked side hilling. After traversing, we had a long, steep gully to climb to gain access to the the west slopes of Turret which would lead us to the summit. It was steep, but still ok for snowshoes. Eventually we reached the top of the gully and crested the ridge where views of Minaret and the Constance group came into view. Saweeeeet! What a sick group of peaks! The spread of Constance, Inner Constance, Warrior, and Cloudy were some serious eye candy and was the main attraction for me this whole trip. I think this is my new favorite view point for Constance. It looks seriously impressive from this side! After we gathered the group at the top of the gully we began the final 700 ft climb to the summit.
Minaret and Buckhorn
Minaret and Buckhorn
Steep west slope of Turret
Steep west slope of Turret
Ozzy, getting after it
Ozzy, getting after it
Constance to Cloudy
Constance to Cloudy
Summit in sight
Summit in sight
It started out steep, and got even steeper! I decided to stop and put on crampons, which didn't make things any easier but felt more secure. Ozzy and Bryan continued on in snowshoes until they had to take them off and boot it the rest of the way up. The boys headed up to the false summit which they said sucked, while I traversed under it to the left. It got steep, but it was secure enough with the snow conditions. We met up at the saddle and soon we were on the summit! It had taken us just shy of 5 hours to get to the top. Views were so good! Of course the Constance group was the big eye catcher, but Buckhorn and the Deception area looked great and we could see all five Washington volcanoes along with many other peaks. We hung out on the summit, filling our bellies and soaking in the views for over 2 hours before packing up to head down. What a place to be on such a beautiful day, we didn't want to leave! Eventually we shouldered our packs and started the descent.
Bryan and Constance
Bryan and Constance
Summit area panorama
Summit area panorama
Clouds and Glacier Peak
Clouds and Glacier Peak
Constance and Inner Constance
Constance and Inner Constance
The Brothers
The Brothers
Constance
Constance
Cunningham Pass, Destroyer on the left
Cunningham Pass, Destroyer on the left
Ozzy
Ozzy
The snow had really softened up, but was still fairly crusty. Some spots we could find a nice secure plunge step, and other spots being too heavy with your foot placement led to post holing. The snow was crusty enough that there was no avalanche danger, but there was old avy debris all around us so it's worth noting this area does have significant avalanche potential in the right conditions. We plunge stepped and post holed our way down and even did one short glissade. The route through the trees back down to the creek was fairly uneventful. We put snowshoes back on and hiked back down the river and back to the trail. The hike out on the melted out trail was lovely. Those Olympic forests are unlike anything else in the state. They've got a special magic to them, and it was a nice finish to the day hiking through the forest back to the car. My tired leg were happy to see the parking lot, and it felt great to take off my boots and get into some clean clothes!
Bryan heading down
Bryan heading down
Ozzy leaving the summit
Ozzy leaving the summit
Minaret and Boulder Ridge
Minaret and Boulder Ridge
Descending the west slopes
Descending the west slopes
Minaret and Gargoyles
Minaret and Gargoyles
Summit and moon
Summit and moon
Back down the steep gully
Back down the steep gully
Traversing across
Traversing across
Buckhorn and Co
Buckhorn and Co
Broad gully, Turret behind
Broad gully, Turret behind
Wouldn't be spring without post holing!
Wouldn't be spring without post holing!
Big Quilcene River
Big Quilcene River
Forest
Forest
Turret turned out to be just what the doctor ordered. What a great day! 9.5 miles 3900 ft gain 11 hours

JasonK806, Anne Elk, Matt, wallorcrawl, ozzy, Prosit, neek, Now I Fly, RichP, vibramhead, SeanSullivan86, rubywrangler, kite, Nancyann, NWtrax, jstern, Theboywhocriedroute, John Mac, reststep, zimmertr, Tom, mtn.climber, runup  geyer, jaysway, GaliWalker, wyattmullen, IanB, meck
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Apr 15, 2024 9:32 am 
Good on you!

Art is an adventure.

awilsondc
vibramhead

vibramhead
PostMon Apr 15, 2024 10:12 am 
Wow, really impressive!

awilsondc
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostTue Apr 16, 2024 5:57 pm 
Hell yeah Aaron!! Sweet TR and thanks for the write-up! rocker.gif It was an absolute pleasure gettin out with you again! That was a badass trip and the scenery/weather was top notch...we even got the old extended summit stay too! Let's go get some more, brotha! cheers.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin

geyer, wallorcrawl, RichP, Matt, jaysway, reststep  awilsondc