Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trans Canada Trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostSat Jun 11, 2011 10:20 am 
The Trans Canada Trail is the world's longest network of trails. When completed, the trail will stretch 22,000 km between the Pacific, Atlantic and Arctic Oceans, linking 1000 communities and all Canadians. The trail is one of Canada's truly great endeavours. Experience Canada's legendary wilderness, explore provincial and territorial capitals, canoe the routes of early explorers, visit national and provincial parks, commute to and from work, cycle historic rail trails and picnic in urban parks. With over 16,500 km already in active use, the trail is nearing completion; This trail will stretch 22,000 kilometers from coast to coast and is expected to be completed by the 150th anniversary of the founding of Canada in 2017. http://www.tctrail.ca/home.php

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat Jun 11, 2011 10:34 am 
Anyone try to through hike it yet. clown.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
RichP

RichP
PostSat Jun 11, 2011 10:46 am 
It's possible to do some sections at this point. I'm hoping to bike on some of it this summer. Much of it is old railroad grades which they are joining to make one continuous trail. No doubt it will be walked all the way through, (and may have already) but I doubt it can be done in one season.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostSat Jun 11, 2011 12:36 pm 
I love how it includes all provinces, and all territories (notice that little bit on Baffin Island, in Nunavut) and extends from coast to coast to coast. It's a little choppy near Vancouver, but otherwise easy to find. The parts in the Okanagan are beautiful - going over old railroad grade. One can bike or walk or atv on it, so it's not all self-propelled. Nevertheless it goes through some beautiful stretches of landscape, for all to enjoy.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jun 11, 2011 1:35 pm 
I have done parts near Ottawa where it is paved along the River. Mostly there it is more for biking than hiking. They designate a lot of regional trails as part of it even though they do not connect to other parts.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Apr 03, 2016 1:11 pm 
Recent post on the association's site, Focus on B.C. http://tctrail.ca/about-the-trail/spotlight-on-british-columbia/

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
RichP

RichP
PostSun Apr 03, 2016 1:32 pm 
80% done. It looks like they just might make the July 1, 2017 completion. I hit parts of it on my bike trip across Canada on 2011 but mainly in the eastern provinces. Quite a bit is a wide shoulder on the side of the highway and not so much a trail. Quebec also has "la route verte" which is a 5000km bike route through the province. http://www.routeverte.com/e/

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSun Apr 03, 2016 1:44 pm 
I've walked the stretch that incorporates the riverside bike path in Whitehorse. I wonder if anyone will ever hike the entire 22,000km in one go?

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Adohrn

Adohrn
PostSat Apr 09, 2016 11:25 pm 
If Heather could maintain her Pct pace she could make it in 309 days. All in one calender year so it would qualify as a thru hike. The race is on 2018 for the first fourple crown. hockeygrin.gif

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu May 09, 2024 7:59 pm 
The west terminus.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri May 10, 2024 8:03 am 
How much of this is dedicated trail vs just being on roads with cars?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri May 10, 2024 2:28 pm 
I've followed a few channels of folks bicycling it. A lot of it, most of it, seems to be on highways. In fact, the trail is pretty much destroyed around Hope, I think it is part of the Kettle Valley Railroad trail? One woman even got hit by a car riding in the Quebec Province. The KVRR trail by Tulameen is shared with ATVs and have heard it can be pretty rough. Some Canadian friends who live in that area say the washed out sections of trail will never be repaired. When I pointed out that the section to the east of the Okanagan Valley had trestles rebuilt after fires, they said it was because there is a lot of money in that area. Apparently it is not the same for the section east of Hope.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities