Forum Index > Trail Talk > Drought emergency declared for most of WA
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Olympic Hiker

Olympic Hiker
PostThu Apr 18, 2024 7:35 pm 
I turned on the sprinkler timer the other day to water some plants in the flower garden. The soil was drying out already and one plant was looking a little wilted. rant.gif On the plus side, I recently converted half the plants I water regularly in the summer months to drip irrigation. The plan is to do the same for the rest of the plants I water in the summer to drip irrigation, just have to order some more parts. I was testing out the drip irrigation the other day to make sure it all worked and noticed that the well pump turns on less frequently and runs for a shorter amount of time than the soaker hoses I used to use. So, I think it was worth the money spent and effort to install it. Guess I will find out this summer.

If you once forfeit the confidence of your fellow citizens, you can never regain their respect and esteem. - Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
uww

uww
PostThu Apr 18, 2024 11:10 pm 
philfort wrote:
I'm looking forward to the cliff mass blog post about how it's a lie.
Dreams really do come true. https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2024/04/is-washington-state-really-in-drought.html

gb, philfort, hikerbiker, RichP  Anne Elk, Cyclopath, idoru
gb

gb
PostFri Apr 19, 2024 8:37 am 
uww wrote:
philfort wrote:
Dreams really do come true. https://cliffa.blogspot.com/2024/04/is-washington
When the fires come later in summer, maybe he can do himself dandy by writing another blog about how the smoke is not so bad. We've actually fallen farther behind since mid-February as rainfall in Washington has been below average in March and April.

Anne Elk
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Apr 19, 2024 9:23 am 
Olympic Hiker wrote:
I turned on the sprinkler timer the other day to water some plants in the flower garden
I've been having to water my garden (on and off) for weeks. It's April!

Anne Elk
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Apr 19, 2024 9:23 am 
uww wrote:
philfort wrote:
Dreams really do come true. https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2024/04/is-washington-state-really-in-drought.html
This is called gaslighting. Also called click bait. I'm glad most people are too smart to fall for this.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Apr 20, 2024 7:25 am 
Someone tell cliff muss that his blogs are too long!! Didn't read!! It was too long.

philfort

philfort
PostSat Apr 20, 2024 3:23 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Someone tell cliff muss that his blogs are too long!! Didn't read!! It was too long.
It takes a lot of words to disprove all the Big Science propaganda!

Cyclopath
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Apr 20, 2024 5:33 pm 
5+ acre brush fire near Lyman, Skagit County. And so it starts....
View larger size in new window

mike

mike
PostSat Apr 20, 2024 5:56 pm 
All this bad-mouthing Cliff and ad hominem attacks but no one is rebutting the science or even mentioning it.

runup, Mountainfisherman, Sculpin
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Apr 20, 2024 7:40 pm 
The people who declared a drought brought the science.

gb
altasnob

altasnob
PostSun Apr 21, 2024 6:55 am 
A lot arguing about what is and what is not a drought but this declaration is based on legal definitions and the primary purpose is to allow the state to start moving money around. From ecology's website: The drought declaration was based on Washington's legal definition of drought, as "water supply is less than 75 percent of normal, resulting in undue hardships to water users and the environment." When the drought declaration is declared it allows ecology to start awarding grants. In this case, they are authorized to award up to $4.5 million in grants from Apr 17, 2024 to Aug 14, 2024. The grants can be awarded to the following entities: Counties, cities, tribes, public utility districts, water and sewer districts, conservation districts, irrigation districts, and ports. Seattle, Tacoma and Everett are all excluded from the new drought declaration (even though they received the same limited rainfall as the rest of the state) becuase these cities have reservoir storage and water management strategies that make them more resilient to drought than other systems. So if you live in one of these cities, like me, you are not even being asked to conserve any water.

rossb, Gil, ejain, uww
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Apr 21, 2024 1:16 pm 
Why the 3 largest cities in western WA are excluded is beyond me - especially since Seattle residents were asked to conserve water for a short period earlier this spring. It wouldn't hurt to have everyone be more mindful of water use. Given ongoing trends it wouldn't hurt to keep the reservoirs as high as possible for as long as possible, given lower snowpack levels. Consider: the states that rely on Lake Powell and Lake Mead would be in somewhat better shape now if they'd started serious conservation before water levels dropped to the extreme danger level. I keep a bucket in the shower for toilet flushing or extra garden water in all seasons, just because I'm so cheap when it comes to utility bills. hockeygrin.gif Time for more rain barrels.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Apr 21, 2024 1:58 pm 
∆ I keep several buckets in the garden to collect rain water, use them on the plants (strawberries are already making flowers) and also for the stray cats and possums that live in the woods and green belt. Also the kitties prefer outdoor spice in their water. smile.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Apr 22, 2024 9:21 am 
timberghost wrote:
The larger forest fires are in the Wilderness areas, if the feds would make more of a effort to contain them when they are small we wouldnt have near the issue. I understand they (FEDS) dont have the funding to do so but it would help to make the effort
If the fire is caused by lightning, it usually is only "monitored". That's likely listed as the thing to do in the Forest Plan. That also depends on who is available to sit on fires. When there are fires of a higher priority going, wilderness takes a backseat. Don't like it? Go get forest plans amended or rewritten. Good luck on that. It's also wayyyyyyy too early to start moaning about fires. Want more prescribed burns? Campaign to your congress person for more money to do so. Change the state air pollution rules. The clampdown on burning started in the 1980s when the wind shifted and the Puget Sound area was smoked out on a nice weekend. I was just at Lake Chelan and hadn't been up the lake since kid days. I was shocked at how many houses have been built on the hillsides. The only way that's going to change is when all insurance companies refuse to insure houses built in areas where fire has burned and will burn again.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
huron

huron
PostMon Apr 22, 2024 9:50 am 
mike wrote:
no one is rebutting the science or even mentioning it.
Cliff Mass doesn't mention science either and deserves some hearty bad-mouthing. As Altasnob points out, you only need to read the short Dept of Ecology release to understand the declaration was procedural to facilitate quick availability of resources in the event of drought escalation. After ignoring the few paragraphs of the report describing this, Mass plucked out a map showing areas eligible for funding and intentionally misrepresented it in his blog as a map of actual drought contitions before being critical of the department's analysis skills. Enough writing. Need to go water the plants.

rbuzby, IanB, Hutch, Anne Elk, Cyclopath