They were resting in peace

idoru
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
idoru

idoru
PostFri Apr 12, 2024 3:11 pm 
From WSDOT on Facebook:
Quote:
SR 20 updates!! tl:dr; This is your weekend for a bike day. We know many of you look forward to the opportunity to bike the passes, and with the roadway cleared all the way through Rainy and Washington, this would be chance to take a bike through prior to the highway reopening. If you're thinking about making the ride, remember that the road is closed for a reason and remains essentially unmaintained between milepost 134 and 171. There is also no cell service through the North Cascades. Finally, keep in mind what the supervisor reported about the roadway still being covered in mud and ice in places. Plan accordingly. If you choose to visit the back country this weekend, you should check in on conditions with the Northwest Avalanche Center.

Cyclopath
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Apr 12, 2024 4:49 pm 
Quote:
Does this mean it will be open for cars next week? (Maybe)
Quote:
WSDOT Chris Morton it could be, but we don’t have a certain open date yet.

idoru
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Apr 12, 2024 5:22 pm 
Anybody know if the parking lot for Ross lake is open, I seem to recall they were parking some equipment there? If its partially open for overnight parking...?

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Apr 12, 2024 5:36 pm 
We parked at ross dam TH a few weeks ago for a night no problem. Dunno if they moved in equipment since then, there was none there at the time. But thats a decently popular trailhead so if its completely blocked id think they would note it somewhere.

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostFri Apr 12, 2024 7:52 pm 
I was up there today, met a guy at the sign that had come all the way over from the West side. Said road was fine, just a bit of snow in one area. I went up from the Silver Star gate, road was great. Was pretty dang warm and nice up there today! On my way back down there was a new slide near the top that wasn't there earlier today. It didn't fully cover the road, so no problem.

Cyclopath, rbuzby, shane w
neek

neek
PostWed Apr 17, 2024 12:29 pm 
All right, it's opening this Friday, but no word in the latest update of whether bikes are allowed Thursday. Does anyone know if this would like be intrusive / frowned upon / punished? My guess is no-go since it's a work day and the road is still officially closed.

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Apr 17, 2024 12:59 pm 
There are lots of people riding bikes there this week--look at the comments on WSDOT's Facebook post about the highway opening from 4 days ago. Edit: Actually I guess I can't guarantee that the photos and comments are all from these weekdays. That's just when they were posted.

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostWed Apr 17, 2024 4:24 pm 
neek wrote:
All right, it's opening this Friday, but no word in the latest update of whether bikes are allowed Thursday. Does anyone know if this would like be intrusive / frowned upon / punished? My guess is no-go since it's a work day and the road is still officially closed.
The last word from the DOT on their FB page last week was to refrain from using the road Mon-Thur while they were working. Here's the sign at the Silver Star gate from when I was up there last Friday. According to this, if you were on the road before 6 am or after 5 pm you'd be OK. As of this week I have no knowledge.

neek
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Apr 17, 2024 6:02 pm 
timberghost wrote:
They were resting in peace
Someone is dead and somehow that's funny?....and some question MY sense of 'humor'.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

dave allyn, Schroder
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Apr 17, 2024 7:26 pm 
From WSDOT It’s official! The reopening of the SR 20 North Cascades Highway is scheduled for this Friday, April 19 at 10 a.m.! This isn’t the earliest spring opening we've done, but we are still in early spring, particularly in the mountains. So if you are planning a trip over the North Cross soon, keep in mind that Forest Service and National Parks remain closed for the time being. There are limited pull outs or pit stops, and no cell service. It also means that there could still be some snowy and freezing weather on Rainy and Washington passes. Our crews will clear and treat the highway as needed, but be prepared to drive in wintry weather should it occur. There are also some maintenance and construction projects near mileposts 105 and 150, so please use caution through those work zones. The route is also a scenic bike route and accesses popular hiking routes such as the Pacific Crest Trail, so stay alert for bicyclists and pedestrians. Shout out to our crews for all their hard work clearing the snow and restoring the roadway for an early reopening. Remember, travel safe, slow down, pay attention and enjoy the scenery!

dave allyn
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostThu Apr 18, 2024 5:12 am 
Schroder wrote:
So if you are planning a trip over the North Cross soon, keep in mind that Forest Service and National Parks remain closed for the time being.
Never heard the term North Cross before, but more importantly, what are they trying to say is "closed"? Trailheads maybe? Or Campgrounds? There has to be a word missing from that sentence.

timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Apr 18, 2024 5:18 am 
much too soon for my liking

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostThu Apr 18, 2024 5:40 am 
rbuzby wrote:
Never heard the term North Cross before, but more importantly, what are they trying to say is "closed"? Trailheads maybe? Or Campgrounds? There has to be a word missing from that sentence.
I haven’t heard the North Cross name either. But I found this, when searching the web - “The North Cascades Highway is approximately 33 miles of SR 20 through Rainy and Washington passes. It is sometimes referred to as the “North Cross,” being the northern most east-west cross-state highway over the Cascade mountains. Last year marked the route’s Golden Jubilee, 50 years since the highway first opened to traffic in 1972.” Full story here on WSDOT blog entry (2023).

rbuzby
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostThu Apr 18, 2024 9:06 am 
They must have intended to say " campgrounds" are closed. Since the Forest Service and National Park are certainly not closed. Anyway, hooray! Our favorite highway is open.