Forum Index > Trail Talk > Shooting at exit 38 trailheads
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon May 13, 2024 7:39 am 
From the photos on komo looks like its at the homeless RVs that have been camped out at the deception crags trailhead. Unclear yet who was shot/how. https://komonews.com/news/local/king-county-shooting-man-shot-near-north-bend-campground-se-homestead-valley-road-i90-airlift-harborview-medical-center#

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 13, 2024 12:19 pm 
Exit 38 has so much character. shakehead.gif

domaz

domaz
PostTue May 14, 2024 10:09 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
This applies to pretty much the entire I-90 corridor and has been that way a long time. I heard a story from an old time sport climber once about how there were so many car break-ins around Exit 38 and nearby areas they suspected the mob was behind it. This was probably 30 years ago or more.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue May 14, 2024 6:08 pm 
I like parking next to the ranger house... seems safest. Obviously some of the trails are too far away for that, but also washington and dirty harrys never seem that bad so i dont usually mind about parking at those 2.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue May 14, 2024 7:25 pm 
domaz wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
This applies to pretty much the entire I-90 corridor and has been that way a long time. I heard a story from an old time sport climber once about how there were so many car break-ins around Exit 38 and nearby areas they suspected the mob was behind it. This was probably 30 years ago or more.
There was a car jacking last year at exit 38: https://livingsnoqualmie.com/car-prowl-at-olallie-state-park-trailhead-turns-into-carjacking-suspects-still-at-large/ I hiked up the Change Creek trail years ago and found a warning sign to hikers about a suicidal, possibly dangerous drug user last seen in the woods there. This was ... interesting: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8003808&highlight=exit+38 I guess the Middle Fork and exit 47 have a lot of this too. And Alpental and I guess the whole valley to some extent. Exit 38 seems extra sketchy to me between being a little closer to more population, the ton of parking, etc. It just seems extra blessed, this latest shooting doesn't even seen that out of character for the place. frown.gif It's a shadowy realm.

Vertec

Vertec
PostTue May 14, 2024 10:28 pm 
There is a solution to this problem, and it's not bear spray.

Out There, carrying the self-evident truth I am endowed by my Creator with unalienable rights of self-defended Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness. "Don't believe everything you read on the internet" -Winston Churchill
solohiker

solohiker
PostThu May 16, 2024 7:26 am 
Middle fork has been cleaned up a lot is way better than it was 20 years ago. The I90 corridor in general gets hit by prowlers a lot but this is not exclusive to I90 by any means. Hwy 2, mountain loop, Olympics, a variety of urban foothills, etc all get a share. Don’t want to jinx myself but I hike I90 a lot, living near exit 17 for 25 years and have never been hit there. Only time I’ve returned to a broken windshield was on an urban foothill in the winter. As for random shootings - not common anywhere, that’s why it’s a big deal when it happens. The Pinnacle Lake murders scared me away from ML for a long time till I realized it was an irrational response.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone

altasnob
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu May 16, 2024 7:48 pm 
Update: the shooting victim is healed enough, discharged from the hospital and is now in jail, along with another occupant of the RVs, which appear to be some sort of drug lab and may also have been used for weapons smuggling. No mention of any shooter that i see, so maybe accidental, or maybe another criminal/customer that this one doesnt want to rat out. That area is marked as "no overnight camping" yet the drug lab in question was there at least six months and another set of RVs has been there at least a year. Good work government. At least we were lucky in that no innocent people appear to have been hit, this time.