Forum Index > Trail Talk > North Cascade National Park Grizzley Bear Reintroduction
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Logbear

Logbear
PostThu Apr 25, 2024 10:35 pm 
Worthington wrote:
Quote:
Public feedback played a key role in the decision. During the fall 2023 public comment period, more than 12,000 comments were received on both the draft Environmental Impact Statement and a proposed 10(j) rule.
It's curious that the NPS says the public comments not only mattered, but played a key role. Yet doesn't mention what % of the comments were for or against the reintroduction.
Everything regarding the public comments is in Appendix E, starting at page 307 thru page 404 of the EIS. Few comments were a simple "yes" or "no". Most of the comments were actually concerns that were responded to. 148 comments were responded to. And you can read them all.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes

kiliki
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Worthington

Worthington
PostFri Apr 26, 2024 8:32 am 
Logbear wrote:
Worthington wrote:
Quote:
Public feedback played a key role in the decision. During the fall 2023 public comment period, more than 12,000 comments were received on both the draft Environmental Impact Statement and a proposed 10(j) rule.
It's curious that the NPS says the public comments not only mattered, but played a key role. Yet doesn't mention what % of the comments were for or against the reintroduction.
Everything regarding the public comments is in Appendix E, starting at page 307 thru page 404 of the EIS. Few comments were a simple "yes" or "no". Most of the comments were actually concerns that were responded to. 148 comments were responded to. And you can read them all.
Thanks! I wish they had included the breakdown of the "votes" in their press release somewhere.

hbb

hbb
PostFri Apr 26, 2024 11:08 am 
Worthington wrote:
I wish they had included the breakdown of the "votes" in their press release somewhere.
What "votes" are you talking about? NPS solicited public comment, but I'm unaware of any yes/no voting process.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Apr 26, 2024 11:57 am 
slabbyd wrote:
Trail closures are going to be off the hook.
Grizzlies will only hike Wallace Falls, Snow Lake, and the Enchantments, because Instagram. So everybody in here can rejoice about a solution to trail crowding, which has been wanted for many years now. "Wait, not like that!"

kvpair

kvpair
PostFri Apr 26, 2024 12:36 pm 
Given an earlier thread about collaring bears for location, I'd like to have a "Grizzly Bear" layer in caltopo. That would be awesome!

Snowdog, Cyclopath
Logbear

Logbear
PostFri Apr 26, 2024 5:01 pm 
hbb wrote:
Worthington wrote:
I wish they had included the breakdown of the "votes" in their press release somewhere.
What "votes" are you talking about? NPS solicited public comment, but I'm unaware of any yes/no voting process.
You're right. There is no "vote". These are written comments/concerns, and they are all posted with the responses. But if you want a quick review... The majority of individual comments were in favor. There were a lot of form letters that came from groups. The largest number of individuals opposed came in a form letter from Wilderness Watch. Wilderness Watch isn't opposed to Grizzly Bears. They just don't want wilderness laws violated. No helicopters, no intensive monitoring. That sort of thing. There were some groups that sent an official group letter representing their members. Here's a few.. Audobon-Skagit- 448 members Yes Rocky Mt Elk Foundation 225,000 members Yes Sierra Club (Nationwide) 3.7 million members Yes I didn't find any group letters that opposed, but a farm bureau commented that they wanted a transcript from a meeting. They got the transcript.

“There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.” – Sir Ranulph Fiennes

Cyclopath, kiliki
kiliki

kiliki
PostSat Apr 27, 2024 9:32 am 
For me it just came down to the fact that it is fundamentally wrong we eliminated these bears. Even if it ends up being an inconvenience to my recreational activities, so what. They deserve to be there. I didn't go back and look at the docs but I'm in my 50s now; it's hard to imagine the North Cascades being so thick with Grizzlies in my hiking lifetime that it will mean major changes in my recreation. We have a cabin in the NC now so I say this as someone with some skin the game, presumably. It kills me that federal and state governments still do so much predator control, to benefit ranchers--whether this is the feds putting down cyanide bombs to kill coyotes, or the state shooting wolves by helicopter.

Cyclopath
Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostSat Apr 27, 2024 10:09 am 
kiliki wrote:
For me it just came down to the fact that it is fundamentally wrong we eliminated these bears. Even if it ends up being an inconvenience to my recreational activities, so what. They deserve to be there. I didn't go back and look at the docs but I'm in my 50s now; it's hard to imagine the North Cascades being so thick with Grizzlies in my hiking lifetime that it will mean major changes in my recreation. We have a cabin in the NC now so I say this as someone with some skin the game, presumably. It kills me that federal and state governments still do so much predator control, to benefit ranchers--whether this is the feds putting down cyanide bombs to kill coyotes, or the state shooting wolves by helicopter.
You don't think we need to manage things in a way that takes into consideration the interests of ranchers? Just curious, on what basis do you believe the grizzlies "deserve to be there" but the ranchers (and their cattle) do not? The grizzlies probably used to roam about the foothills and perhaps even the lowlands too, if you go back far enough - should the goal be to reintroduce them in those areas as well?

mosey
Logbear

Logbear
PostSat Apr 27, 2024 1:45 pm 
Joseph wrote:
kiliki wrote:
You don't think we need to manage things in a way that takes into consideration the interests of ranchers? Just curious, on what basis do you believe the grizzlies "deserve to be there" but the ranchers (and their cattle) do not? The grizzlies probably used to roam about the foothills and perhaps even the lowlands too, if you go back far enough - should the goal be to reintroduce them in those areas as well?
I've read the final EIS and I can tell you that the interests of ranchers have been considered. That's why option C was chosen. It gives the managers the most flexibility to respond to problem bears if they ever become a problem. As far as why the Grizzly deserve to be there, the EIS has a big section that explains why the Grizzly should be there. Sure, Grizzlies used to be in the lowlands. Most of the animals were. But the habitat doesn't exist in the lowlands anymore that can support Grizzlies. But the North Cascades Ecosystem can.

ChinookPass
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Apr 27, 2024 5:01 pm 
I'm glad I won't be around to see much of this. I think it's a monumentally stupid to drop these bears in from Ross Lake to Glacier Peak. I've listened to the arguments that they used to be here. They haven't been in the Puget Sound region since before the 1850's and no one seems to know how plentiful they were. The numbers I've seen were taken from Hudson's Bay records from the Fraser River and north. The arguments that they've been around Yellowstone, in Montana, Idaho and Alaska with no problems. Look at their population compared to ours of 7 million people from Tacoma to Vancouver that will be adjacent to their habitat. How much food is there for them up in the higher mountains? They're going to end up down along the Skagit, Sauk and Stilliguamish Rivers and raiding garbage cans from North Bend to Marblemount. This is the same as introducing a new species to the area and a large predator at that. I don't think anyone has really imagined the impact that it will have.

letsgobobby, rbuzby, Bronco, uww, giojennings, idoru, fourteen410, mosey, treeswarper, shane w, runup, Joseph, Anne Elk
jeannette

jeannette
PostSat Apr 27, 2024 5:11 pm 
I agree with you Schroder.

Joseph
altasnob

altasnob
PostSat Apr 27, 2024 5:25 pm 
Schroder wrote:
I've listened to the arguments that they used to be here. They haven't been in the Puget Sound region since before the 1850's and no one seems to know how plentiful they were. The numbers I've seen were taken from Hudson's Bay records from the Fraser River and north.
They may not have been plentiful in the lowlands, but they were in the high North Cascades where they will be introduced. You should read A Synthesis of Historical and Recent Reports of Grizzly Bears (Ursus arctos) in the North Cascades Region, which is referenced in the Record of Decision. Some quotes:
Quote:
Grizzly bear fossils dated from between 12,000 and 850 bp (before present) have been recovered at a number of locations in Washington State. The most notable finding occurred on the west coast of Whidbey Island in northern Puget Sound from the Late-Pleistocene epoch, dated to 9,000 years bp
Quote:
Ethnological records of grizzly bears from the Upper Skagit, Sauk-Suiattle, Thompson, Stó:lô (Chilliwack), Chelan, and Methow First Nation groups demonstrate varying degrees of significance within their traditional subsistence practices, cultures, and landscapes
Quote:
Chelan and Sauk-Suiattle informants noted that grizzly bears were “numerous” in higher elevations of their respective drainages. The Upper Skagit people also hunted them at higher elevations

Worthington

Worthington
PostSat Apr 27, 2024 6:45 pm 
hbb wrote:
Worthington wrote:
Right, which is why I wrote "votes" and not votes. The use of quotes around a non-quotation is an indication that someone isn't using the word literally. I'm assuming most of the comments actually were indicating a preference (for or against). I would love to know the % breakdowns.

Logbear

Logbear
PostSat Apr 27, 2024 9:24 pm 
Worthington wrote:
hbb wrote:
Worthington wrote:
Right, which is why I wrote "votes" and not votes. The use of quotes around a non-quotation is an indication that someone isn't using the word literally. I'm assuming most of the comments actually were indicating a preference (for or against). I would love to know the % breakdowns.
You're right. There is no "vote". These are written comments/concerns, and they are all posted with the responses. But if you want a quick review... The majority of individual comments were in favor. There were a lot of form letters that came from groups. The largest number of individuals opposed came in a form letter from Wilderness Watch. Wilderness Watch isn't opposed to Grizzly Bears. They just don't want wilderness laws violated. No helicopters, no intensive monitoring. That sort of thing. There were some groups that sent an official group letter representing their members. Here's a few.. Audobon-Skagit- 448 members Yes Rocky Mt Elk Foundation 225,000 members Yes Sierra Club (Nationwide) 3.7 million members Yes I didn't find any group letters that opposed, but a farm bureau commented that they wanted a transcript from a meeting. They got the transcript.

Logbear

Logbear
PostSat Apr 27, 2024 10:01 pm 
Another thing I found interesting in the comments/concerns is that ranchers are not really opposed to Grizzlies. Their most common concern is that they get reimbursed from livestock loss. Some of them preferred the "no action alternative A", but that doesn't allow for any reimbursement for livestock loss and the bears would have ESA protections as a threatened species. Alternative B also maintains the bears ESA threatened status. The preferred Alternative C changes the bears to an ESA 10(j) designation. NEP (Nonessential Experimental Population) As 10(j) NEP the bears will be subject to a lot more management flexibility to deal with any conflicts that come up. In other words, it will be easier for ranchers to shoot one if it causes a problem. The ranchers end up preferring Alternative C because it would be easier to get reimbursed and remove problem Grizzlies.