Forum Index > Trail Talk > Who owns Kapowsin Tree Farm these days?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ChrisCaviezel

ChrisCaviezel
PostSun Mar 17, 2024 6:27 am 
Thankyou Rich. My assumption is that it won't be posted until March 20 since I can not see it..... Thankyou.

Chris
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostMon Apr 15, 2024 11:08 am 
I bit the bullet and got a Kapowsin motorized permit this year. Still no non-motorized permits available for this area. Nothing to stop me from biking the roads, but having some easily accessible peaks by car is a welcome break from pedal up dumpster diving. Most areas are open and snow-free but will wait for a visit to Puyalliup Ridge Lookout which is still holding some snow on the access roads higher up. A view from yesterday.
The Divide
The Divide

ChrisCaviezel

ChrisCaviezel
PostMon Apr 15, 2024 11:21 am 
Rich- I bought a motorized permit as well. Its only 15 minutes (Buckley gate) from my house and I have been out there three times already. I so wish I could bring my wife, but they only allow one adult to the permit. Thanks for your guidance on being able to obtain this permit.....

Chris

RichP
RichP

RichP
PostMon Apr 15, 2024 12:37 pm 
Yes, adults all need permits but dependent kids get in with the permit holder. I visited the Buckley gate the other day too. Lots of areas to check out in there.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Apr 15, 2024 10:22 pm 
Skimmed over the rules for the license, and they don't permit overnight parking except in designated camp areas. Pretty much kills the idea of using Puyallup Ridge as a backdoor to backcountry camping in the park. Probably a pretty slim chance they'd be patrolling the whole property on the weekends for violators of that rule, but maybe not worth risking potentially flushing $300 down the drain for.

RichP

RichP
PostTue Apr 16, 2024 6:08 am 
There is a designated camp spot "Camp 7" just below Puyallup Ridge. I checked it out the other day and there is not much to it. I didn't get the impression that it's used much outside of hunting season but it's still early in the year. You can see the location on the map on the website. I'm hoping to link up to some areas in Glacier View and the Park but the parking thing is an issue if overnight. Another issue to consider according to a guy I ran into the other day who has held a permit for many years, Kapowsin reserves the right to shut down all access during times of elevated fire risk which may coincide with prime hiking season. I can understand this as a means to protect resources.