Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Left lane campers.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostSat May 14, 2011 6:33 am 
One of the guys from India I was working with a few years ago said he and his fellow Indians could not believe how people drive around here. He was amazed at our "lane discipline" and politeness. Not surprising when you see how they drive in India. It's a free for all. Nobody would ever think to mention that another driver failed to signal, or didn't merge properly. And slower drivers wouldn't dare camp out in the left lane (if there were any "lanes") or they would get run over. I take the bus to work and don't have to drive with all the nutters in commuter traffic. I cant imagine doing that every day. I would move.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ranger Smith

Ranger Smith
PostSat May 14, 2011 6:40 am 
up.gif now if they would just enforce the No auxillary driving lamps when on low beam and misaligned headlights! It's not the economy stupid, it's the law! agree.gif

I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess.
trestle

trestle
PostSat May 14, 2011 6:59 am 
onemoremile wrote:
But I'm more referring to seeing drivers pass around Lake Crescent in near blinding rain or on the way to Kalaloch. Don't think I've ever not been tailgated around that lake. Rain or shine seems the driving out there is the same.
Yep, the Lake can get pretty crazy. The tailgating around the curves is a bit hard to believe sometimes, those log-truck drivers can be very aggressive. Oh wait, is it 1985? Just kidding ya. Believe it or not, traffic used to be worse around the lake when the west-end logging was at it's peak but I'm still amazed at how rude some drivers insist on being.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostSat May 14, 2011 7:36 am 
Layback wrote:
It's Canadians that need to have their asses kicked.
Speaking of generalizations. rolleyes.gif Canada is a big country. Eastern Canadians make Washingtonians look horridly impolite. hockeygrin.gif You can't judge people as a whole like that, while I've seen lots of jerks with Canadian plates, I've seen just as many jerks with Washington plates. I also know a lot more responsible and polite Canadian driver's than irresponsible ones. One bad apple...

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostSat May 14, 2011 1:38 pm 
rbuzby wrote:
Not surprising when you see how they drive in India. It's a free for all. Nobody would ever think to mention that another driver failed to signal, or didn't merge properly. And slower drivers wouldn't dare camp out in the left lane (if there were any "lanes") or they would get run over.
Driving in India is crazy! Three directions of travel on a one lane road...along with animals and 8 person bicycles. It was cool before they decided to pave their roads - used to be one long Middle Fork road which naturally kept the speed at a safe level.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSat May 14, 2011 10:13 pm 
The funny thing is, folks in BC probably complain about the Americans mucking up the roads. That darned kph / mph conversion, ya know.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
dropkick

dropkick
PostMon May 16, 2011 12:52 pm 
I have problems with people who, for some reason, don't want to use the far left lane to pass. I will be in a middle lane, going faster than the people to my right. Drivers come up fast behind me and tailgate, expecting me to change lanes so they can zoom by. But they have some kind of phobia about the left lane, which is wide open. In these cases, I almost never change lanes for them, unless I'm in a really good mood. If I'm in a bad mood, I'll slow down.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon May 16, 2011 5:07 pm 
Now if we could just get folks on the dirt roads to simply move over if you come up behind them, we'd really be getting somewhere. I have no problem with you doing what you think is reasonable in your Subie or Volkswagen or Tercel or whatever. So offer the courtesy of letting someone in a larger rig with more clearance get on by.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon May 16, 2011 6:37 pm 
M0sssy Mom wrote:
I drove to Albany NY last summer and took the train in to NYC from Albany.
M0sssy Mom wrote:
So what was the prettiest thing we saw? The cascades before they were logged
I'm pretty sure the Cascades had been logged before last summer. wink.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
tigermn

tigermn
PostMon May 16, 2011 8:25 pm 
dropkick wrote:
I have problems with people who, for some reason, don't want to use the far left lane to pass.
I suspect they figure driving/passing in the amber lane gives them a better chance of getting a ticket. Bottom line for me if someone starts tailgating me regardless of if I'm going 50 or 80, I'll get out of their way. It isn't worth an incident or accident and why have added stress while driving. I enjoy driving and don't need that. I typically set the cruise at 2 or 3 over the limit and just enjoy the drive only using the left lane to pass if it is the only option.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostTue May 17, 2011 12:44 am 
Whenever I'm coming up on what I know to be a usual speed trap with a trooper almost garanteed to be there, I alway move to the right and let people pass biggrin.gif

bwalt822

bwalt822
PostTue May 17, 2011 10:46 am 
Now they just need to start enforcing the delay of more than 5 vehicles rule. Another thing that pisses me off... Stuck behind a car going slow on a curvy 2 lane road because they are scared to put some stress on the tires. Now here comes the straight or passing lane so I can pass. The car then speeds up because there are no turns. If anything they should slow down to make it easier to pass. I had to get up to near triple digits one time because a jackass towing a trailer decided to speed up to 80 on the straight after going 50 through the curves.

MtnManic
Nordic

Nordic
PostTue May 17, 2011 12:22 pm 
bwalt822 wrote:
Stuck behind a car going slow on a curvy 2 lane road because they are scared to put some stress on the tires. Now here comes the straight or passing lane so I can pass. The car then speeds up because there are no turns.
I've had this happen to me numerous times and my reactions were similar to yours. The reason for that is the same as with many left lane campers, i.e., the attitude of "I'm the only one on the road and I'm oblivious to anybody else." As a matter of fact I got pulled over by a trooper one time after speeding up to pass a car like that but after I explained to him why I did it he let me go without a ticket or any hassle.

justaddfuel
nom nom

justaddfuel
nom nom
PostTue May 17, 2011 12:41 pm 
US-101 is nasty for the two lane don't allow to pass folks.

Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Mar 16, 2024 9:16 am 
Seriously folks don't get in the far left lane if you're not going to drive the speed limit! What is with this habit? Freedom? P*litics? Every Sunday I've been commuting to Pendleton and returning Friday afternoons. It becomes so obvious when you're the copilot traveling long distances. At times it's a safety concern as big rigs do it as well. The right lane is cool, try it! Safe travels. Don't forget sunscreen!