Forum Index > Gear Talk > why does rei suck so bad sometimes?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Dec 04, 2023 7:15 pm 
REI sucking, two examples. 2nd one in separate post. Below is from Rei outlet, for the Hydro Flask 32 oz vacuum bottle, normally $44.95, on sale for under $20. It does not come with the silicone boot! Features TempShield® double-wall vacuum insulation keeps beverages cold for up to 24 hrs. and hot up to 12 hrs. Durable 18/8 pro-grade stainless-steel construction ensures a pure taste and no flavor transfer Flexible strap on the lid makes the bottle easy to transport and comfortable to carry Color Last™ powder coat provides nonslip grip and lasting color Silicone boot adds durability to your bottle by helping protect its base BPA- and phthalate-free Dishwasher safe Closeout

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Dec 04, 2023 7:28 pm 
#2: The electric bike I bought, Co op cycles generation 1.2, came with the gear shifter aligned a full gear off. So 7th gear on the shifter brings the bike to 6th gear, 7th is unreachable. 2nd gear is actually 1st gear, and 1st gear puts the chain down in between the gear cluster and motor housing, seizing up the rear wheel and gouging the motor housing. So, the bike comes with two years free adjustments, done by the same people who set up and checked the bike before turning it over to me defective. Great. I cannot fathom someone not shifting the bike through the gears to check them. Very sloppy! My fault as well for trusting them. And you can’t even push the bike home, the rear wheel must be lifted into the air, it locks tight with the chain wedged in. Luckily I was able to pull the chain out by pulling on the largest gear ring while pulling hard on the chain. I’ve decided I still like the bike but I will bring it to a real bike shop in the future. Or work on it myself.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Dec 04, 2023 7:36 pm 
That's fairly common with new bikes. At least you didn't pay thru the nose at some LBS, you might be surprised what they send you out the door with. If you are the type that isn't comfortable making simple adjustments REI is a great option. Example #3 of how REI sucks, I picked up a 850 fill magma down jacket for $100 during cyberweek. Normal price was $250 which is actually a great price, marked down to $125 for cyber week, less a 20% off coupon they sent me to use ($40 off $200 which brought the jacket down to $100 after throwing in some convertible pants). I personally am glad we still have what is for the most part an awesome and convenient retailer to shop at locally. Be careful what you wish for. Who knows how long they will survive, and then we can lament how bad other options suck.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Dec 04, 2023 8:00 pm 
I shop at REI all the time, I have underwear, patch kit, tech wash, and Tenacious tape on order right now, just got my Hydro flask today, and a camp chair the other day, recently a new bike, bike seat, fenders, bike basket, Burley Travoy, and other goodies. Almost everything on sale or “double sale”, the outlet coupons that include sale items. They are not going away if I can help it.

bccarlso

bccarlso
PostTue Dec 05, 2023 12:35 pm 
Tom wrote:
Example #3 of how REI sucks, I picked up a 850 fill magma down jacket for $100 during cyberweek. Normal price was $250 which is actually a great price, marked down to $125 for cyber week, less a 20% off coupon they sent me to use ($40 off $200 which brought the jacket down to $100 after throwing in some convertible pants).
I got this too fopr like $90... and then they cancelled my order. On the plus side, they sent a $90 check instead of returning the money to my dividend account where it originated from. So now I can get something at another store.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Dec 05, 2023 3:21 pm 
Well, if you really wanted that jacket I'm sure that they will still honor the price if you contact them once the jacket is back in stock. REI customer service is great at taking care of folks. The deal got posted on slick deals so it was really hard to grab one of those jackets. I literally had to keep refreshing my browser until stock showed up and then order within seconds of it selling out again.

bccarlso

bccarlso
PostWed Dec 06, 2023 1:13 pm 
Mine was one of their down bags, women's 30 degree for one of my daughters. But yeah - I should still try that honestly, thanks for the suggestion.

Damian

Damian
PostSun Dec 31, 2023 7:35 pm 
Slugman wrote:
..came with the gear shifter aligned a full gear off. So 7th gear on the shifter brings the bike to 6th gear, 7th is unreachable. 2nd gear is actually 1st gear, and 1st gear puts the chain down in between the gear cluster.....
Come on Sluggo. This is exactly the way new 5 and 10 speed bikes were in the 60's and 70's (plus over shifting caused the chain to come off or get jammed which always happened during my paper route at 4:30 in the morning) It should make you feel nostalgic. clown.gif

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jan 01, 2024 7:13 pm 
I just got a $30 coupon for being a member for 60 years

Snow_Knot, Cyclopath
bccarlso

bccarlso
PostMon Jan 01, 2024 8:30 pm 
Schroder wrote:
50% off your age! Sounds like a deal!

mike

mike
PostMon Jan 01, 2024 8:54 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Hey! How come I didn't get one? Been there about that long too.

neek

neek
PostThu Apr 18, 2024 9:51 am 
I'm going to be rich!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Apr 18, 2024 10:22 am 

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri May 03, 2024 4:36 pm 
Article in today's Times: Seattle-founded REI struggles to adapt to changing retail. What’s next?
Quote:
“From a pure business perspective, we do have to be more adaptable and agile,” CEO Eric Artz told The Seattle Times last week before reporting a $311 million net loss for 2023, the second year in a row the company has lost money.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri May 03, 2024 6:01 pm 
A ceo that uses mindless mba buzzwords lost 311 million dollars? So wierd. Never could have seen that coming.