Forum Index > Gear Talk > why does rei suck so bad sometimes?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jul 03, 2023 8:10 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
It's not the amount of money, it's the principle...
You were complaining they were "no help" getting you the member only sale price. What principle is it? Some like the free rider problem.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jul 03, 2023 9:32 pm 
Tom wrote:
I just bought a GE washer dryer from Costco and could have saved $100 buying from GE at employee prices
Costco has been a great place to save $$$ on a lot of things. I paid $25 for a down jacket 10+ years ago that I still wear in the winter. Great place to get sunglasses too, easily save 2x the membership price on one pair.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Jul 03, 2023 10:02 pm 
A commonly used strategy for getting stuff at YOUR price is to just bring a pen and CHANGE the price on the tag!! Just cross it out and put 10 bucks!! These guys at the checkout stand don't have the NERVE to stop you. Been buying at MY price for years. If they say something I just interrupt them and inform them that it doesn't matter because that's what I'm paying. Period!

Cyclopath, RumiDude
trestle

trestle
PostFri Jul 07, 2023 1:57 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
they were charging tax then and other placer were not
Are you aware of any retailer (not private parties on Marketplace or Craigslist) that doesn't charge online sales tax anymore? If so, please let us know. up.gif

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Jul 07, 2023 2:37 pm 
trestle wrote:
Are you aware of any retailer (not private parties on Marketplace or Craigslist) that doesn't charge online sales tax anymore? If so, please let us know.
Quite a few years ago I ordered a film camera multi-focal lens from a well known large camera equipment dealer in NYC (whose name will not be mentioned). I ordered it over the phone. They told me that because I was ordering over the phone (and not online) sales tax would not be charged since I was out of state. Why phone orders made a difference, I have no idea. But by now I'm sure that "loophole" had been closed.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jul 07, 2023 5:51 pm 
Right. As I said "then", that was quite a few years ago and at that time the only places online that charged tax were ones like Cabella's that had stores in Wa state. I just don't personally like Costco or REi, just my personal preference...then I thought I would make an exception because I found a tent that I wanted. I ended up getting a tent that was 1 lb lighter and nearly 100 bucks less. I have no loyalty to any business (except maybe Freddies where I have a lifetime employee discount) I just have always been one to shop around for the best deal, no way I am going to pay a $30 membership fee just to purchase one item. My conservative style helped to allow me to retire at age 55, so there!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Jul 09, 2023 8:02 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I just have always been one to shop around for the best deal, no way I am going to pay a $30 membership fee just to purchase one item. My conservative style helped to allow me to retire at age 55, so there!
Have you ever thought you may have shortened your life with that constant worry about getting the best deal? Less worry equals more life, both length and quality. YMMV Rumi EDIT: This was written as a sort of joke. Well maybe half joke and half serious. LYOL

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jul 09, 2023 6:36 pm 
I doubt that, I don’t worry that much, getting the best deal is just the way I roll, nearly always been that way. Money was a bit tight when I was growing up, so that’s likely one reason. My “buyers remorse” though is pretty strong, one reason I am so careful.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jul 11, 2023 2:14 am 
Me thinks you doth protest too much. How about a $20 Target Gift card to offset some of the membership fee? Then you can pretend you only paid ~$10 for membership. https://slickdeals.net/f/16772990-100-rei-co-op-gift-card-20-target-gift-card-target-circle-members

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jul 11, 2023 3:17 pm 
O' good, the gift card scam! When I had DISH network installed last year they were offering a 500 gift card for new customers...sure I finally received it after 3-4 months and jumping through several hoops...they wanted me to forget about it and give up, lol, they don't know me. Going through the same thing with Hughes Net, but for $250. Honestly I just don't like REI, so it didn't take much for me to say nah to their lifetime membership scam. But then I also felt pretty much the same about Amazon, but then they acquired the rights to Thursday Night Football so I signed up for Prime.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jul 11, 2023 3:40 pm 
For someone so thrifty I'm surprised you would pass up $20, ha! You can use the $100 REI gift card to buy your trail park pass, etc. No membership required. Edit: just ordered mine. Took them a whole 3 minutes to send the gift cards, phew! Will have to stop by Target on my bike ride home to pick up $20 of free beer. cheers.gif headrub.gif

rubywrangler
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jul 11, 2023 6:57 pm 
Well yes I doth protestest too much, that's for sure. It's now a moot point since I just received my 2lb trekking pole tent from Sierra Designs, as I said it was nearly $100 less and a lb less...sure the quality might not be as good and I have to seam seal it myself and in addition I don't like Target either. I have no need for REI as I have all the gear I need and I have a lifetime employee discount at Freddy's so no need at all for Target. However, good for you and enjoy your beer! cheers.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jul 11, 2023 7:46 pm 
Back when I "retired" 10 years ago to have fun arbitraging gift card deals in bulk I signed up for lots of Safeway accounts. About 100 of them get targeted every week for $5 off $5 or $10 off $10. It's the gift that keeps on giving. I don't think I paid much for groceries in the last 3 years. That said, it doesn't work on milk or alcohol so while I don't shop much at Target, $20 of free milk or beer is $20 of free milk or beer.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jul 11, 2023 8:54 pm 
Tom wrote:
Back when I "retired" 10 years ago to have fun arbitraging gift card deals in bulk I signed up for lots of Safeway accounts. About 100 of them get targeted every week for $5 off $5 or $10 off $10. It's the gift that keeps on giving. I don't think I paid much for groceries in the last 3 years. That said, it doesn't work on milk or alcohol so while I don't shop much at Target, $20 of free milk or beer is $20 of free milk or beer.
You are my hero, lol, but even I don't want to go through that much for free stuff, I keep busy as it is, herding cats and such.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jul 11, 2023 9:23 pm 
It was actually a lot of fun. Night guy got so bored during COVID he would beg me to stay and run cards at self checkout until they closed at 1 AM. Good times! I just put my credit card on top of the POS terminal (automatic contactless payment) so all I had to do was flip the club card barcode from my comfy chair for each transaction. Extra items were to trigger the an extra $15 off every transaction (on top of the gift card promo).