Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Non-AWD/4WD Trailhead car (30+mpg/reliability/function)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jun 25, 2012 1:51 pm 
Go back where you came from? How clever of you, Allison! Having lived in WA for a mere 26 years, I am well aware of my third class scum status in the eyes of you Natives or whatever it is you call your self-anointed special status of superiority and righteousness. (With such Landed Gentry status, of course, comes the unqualified right to drive in the left lane at any speed.) Too bad that I really love it here. Sorry, I'm not leaving the state. You lose.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jun 25, 2012 2:02 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
unqualified right to drive in the left lane at any speed
No one is suggesting that is okay. Not one single person. For one who claims to "love it" here, you certainly don't miss any opportunity to slam the natives or the way things are done here. headrub.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jun 25, 2012 2:06 pm 
No, actually, I almost always let those opportunities pass. Examples? My rants are usually against humanity, i.e., I don't single out WA natives. And have you not seen the other threads where I've stood up for Washington residents? ETA: Use one of those pro deals to get a sense of humor. Life gets much better once you've learned to laugh at the culture of WA/OR left lane campers.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jun 25, 2012 2:16 pm 
I have never seen that. That said, I read about 25% of what's posted, and it stands out in my memory that you are very anti-locals. I'm quite surprised to hear you've been here so long, you'd think you'd be more used to us by now. As far as the LL campers, rather than laugh, I use that energy to very carefully use the other available real estate to very carefully get around those idiots. I hate having to use the right lanes to pass every much as you do, trust me. PS. I have an extremely wicked sense of humor. However, local regulations do not permit the use of same in this location. devilsmile.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jun 25, 2012 2:17 pm 
Allison wrote:
you are very anti-locals
That is complete bullsh##

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jun 25, 2012 2:33 pm 
The fact that it stands out in my memory shouldn't be. The fact that you so strongly associate me with pro deal is similarly BS, given the fact that I've used the term 11 times in the past 10.5 years, not counting this time. wink.gif I have way too much work on my desk to take this discussion along any more, so ttfn. Have a happy day.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 25, 2012 2:44 pm 
boot up wrote:
Passive aggressive driving is still aggressive driving
Ok that's ridiculous! As if driving the speed limit of 5mph slow is in anyway aggressive. Please. I stay in the slow lane and I cause no problems.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jun 25, 2012 2:45 pm 
Allison wrote:
The fact that it stands out in my memory shouldn't be.
Use a pro deal to get a new memory. Anti-local, my ass

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Jun 25, 2012 3:13 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I stay in the slow lane and I cause no problems.
I've also done hypermiling. You have to be aware of what's behind you. I bet Joe knows if he's slowing anyone down, and makes sure to avoid problems.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jun 25, 2012 4:22 pm 
I've not seen very slow drivers/hypermilers pull off the highway if they are holding up traffic, but if that's what you're suggesting, I'm all for it. That should be standard protocol, imho. up.gif

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Jun 26, 2012 7:20 am 
marzsit wrote:
fwiw, high-mileage subarus, anything over 90K miles, are junk. when they die, they die hard, and expensive.........
It appears you meant to type "Audi" when you typed "Subaru." Or, perhaps your spell checker is malfunctioning? My WRX has 106K on it currently. Other than an expensive timing belt service now due, this has been one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned. And, to be fair, the timing belt is not a reliability problem - it's a designed in service interval, not a failure. The engine runs like a Swiss watch and burns less than 1/2 qt. of oil over a 4k mile oil change interval. In 106K miles three things have gone wrong with this car: 1) The blower motor for the HVAC system died. I bought a used motor assembly for $50 out of a low-mileage wrecked car and changed it out in about an hour. The other two items are (2) the light that illuminates the pushbutton for the fog lights on the dash is burned out, and (3) the beeper that sounds when you use the remote to lock/unlock the car only works intermittently now. Those last two items are so impercebtably minor that I have no plans to fix them. This car has been even more reliable than the old Corollas I've owned. My last Corolla needed a starter and a water pump before it got to 110K. The water pump failed again at ~ 180K. I *am* entertaining the thought of pre-emptively replacing the turbocharger on this car. That's the most likely component to fail and when it does it can take the rest of the engine with it. A new turbo is not all that expensive and it's easy to swap them. This is the justification I'm using to put a slightly larger turbo on it... wink.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jun 26, 2012 9:52 am 
Chainsaw_Willie wrote:
marzsit wrote:
fwiw, high-mileage subarus, anything over 90K miles, are junk. when they die, they die hard, and expensive.........
It appears you meant to type "Audi" when you typed "Subaru." Or, perhaps your spell checker is malfunctioning?
Will, I had the same thought when I read that.

Mugs

Mugs
PostTue Jun 26, 2012 9:41 pm 
I have gotten close to 500k on some of my subies, the only reason it died is because someone did an illegal u-turn in front of me. 100k on Suby, Honda, Toyota is just barely cutting its teeth and getting "broken in"

I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jun 26, 2012 10:22 pm 
But....aren't you a Subaru mechanic? Seems a somewhat lopsided comparison if you ask me.

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostWed Jun 27, 2012 3:47 am 
BigSteve wrote:
marzsit wrote:
WTF? What is your evidence? Lots of Subies with 200K miles out there. IME, Subies are relatively cheap to fix.
my evidence is 30+ years of professional wrenching on all makes and models of cars and trucks. as a professional mechanic, i have seen it all.... if you are very religious about changing the coolant on your subaru, it might make it to the 200K mark, but they usually blow head gaskets long before that...... show me a 200K subaru that hasn't had the heads redone, it's pretty rare and a head job on these isn't cheap.