Forum Index > Trip Reports > Big Snow Mtn Day Hike via Big Snow Lake 12 July 2014
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostSun Jul 13, 2014 9:54 pm 
This is my 4th time hiking up Big Snow in 4 consecutive years but it's the first time I've done it as a day hike. It's a long day so I recommend getting an early start when the daylight hours are long. I was the first one to sign the register this year (register was likely still buried when the last party visited). But a party of two showed as I was leaving. It's the first time I've run into anyone on a trip up BS. Matt Hutchinson left a new register box (pelican case to replace the old water bottle register) at the summit at the end of last season. A couple of pics plus a link to my unedited shots that might give a better idea of the conditions and possible route choices. Unedited repetitive shots

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 13, 2014 10:01 pm 
Timely beta as I was thinking of heading up there later this week with my nephews. Kinda surprised the lake still has snow cover given your pics from last year which showed the lake to be snow free. How were the bugs?

chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostSun Jul 13, 2014 10:07 pm 
Tom wrote:
Timely beta as I was thinking of heading up there later this week with my nephews. Kinda surprised the lake still has snow cover given your pics from last year which showed the lake to be snow free. How were the bugs?
There was generally a bit more snow compared to last year at this time but it's catching up quickly given the current weather. Which route are you taking? Bug were horrendous at Myrtle (as always) but fine everywhere else and none on the peak.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 13, 2014 10:16 pm 
If we go we would hop up the outlet. Was hoping to raft the lake but may not be in the cards. I kinda doubt it would be melted by this weekend.

mhutch

mhutch
PostMon Jul 14, 2014 8:33 pm 
nice shots, definitely a summit worth repeating. good to see the register held up through the winter at least smile.gif...

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jul 15, 2014 6:30 am 
Nice TR and pics. up.gif That's a long day trip. Fun scramble up the outlet and to the summit, but the hike back on the trail seems interminable!

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Jul 15, 2014 11:49 am 
The Myrtle Lake route seems to be much more popular in recent years since the Dingford Gate went in. And why not -- that's a long road walk to the Hardscrabble trailhead. The first part to Goldmyer is bike-able but from there I think it's walking the bike for most people, especially with a pack on.

chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostTue Jul 15, 2014 12:31 pm 
mhutch wrote:
nice shots, definitely a summit worth repeating. good to see the register held up through the winter at least smile.gif...
The seal is starting to crack (UV breakdown? Oxidation?). That seems to be the least robust component of the register.
BigSteve wrote:
That's a long day trip. Fun scramble up the outlet and to the summit, but the hike back on the trail seems interminable!
It's a great scramble. I generally hate the long slogs at the end of a long day but this year I've been very disciplined and now always strategically stash beers for the hike out. Highly recommended to lessen the pain of the return and to boost blood sugar/carb reload when it's most needed!
puzzlr wrote:
The Myrtle Lake route seems to be much more popular in recent years since the Dingford Gate went in. And why not -- that's a long road walk to the Hardscrabble trailhead. The first part to Goldmyer is bike-able but from there I think it's walking the bike for most people, especially with a pack on.
In looking through the old and new registers the Myrtle route is trending up but the Hardscrabble route is still more popular. I actually like the bike ride. I've ridden to the old DMG trailhead a half dozen times. The bit after Goldmyer is steeper but it's not too bad. The ride out is always fun.

slothman73

slothman73
PostFri Jul 18, 2014 11:40 am 
I believe the middle fork of the snoq. River is closed for the summer for paving.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Jul 18, 2014 8:18 pm 
We tried to go up on Thursday and the road was closed. From the worker we talked to it sounded like the road is only open on weekends (Friday noon to Monday noon).

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Jul 18, 2014 9:37 pm 
Going forward the road will only be open to the CCC trailhead on weekends. Closed beyond that, and closed altogether on weekdays. http://www.wfl.fhwa.dot.gov/projects/wa/snoqualmie/documents/2014-calendar.pdf#page=5

Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil
PostMon Jul 21, 2014 8:45 am 
Lady at North Bend ranger station told me on July 28th middle fork road would be completely closed indefinitely (including weekends, according to her). Consequently, heading up Green Ridge climber's trail to get a trip in just in case her information is accurate.